International Justice Mission Interview Questions | Glassdoor

International Justice Mission Interview Questions

Updated Oct 4, 2017

2.9

Finance Position Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at International Justice Mission.

Interview

Interviewed with five different people. Given both technical questions and questions based on experience. The HR one was mainly about my own spiritual walk. Nothing surprising. Everyone was really friendly and HR reached out to me again within a week.

Communications Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at International Justice Mission (Arlington, VA) in May 2017.

Interview

If and when you get to the in-person interview step in the process with IJM, it becomes suddenly very formal and thorough – if you haven’t seen any of that before that point. I had nearly a full day of one-on-one interviews with the hiring manager and others across the organization – from 10:00 to 5:00 – with a break to attend the morning prayer time with all staff in the office and for lunch with my HR host (which could have been part of the interview process too, for all I knew). Before my day there, I had been given a formal letter with a formal schedule of my interviews. I was told they do this with all candidates – this long day of interviews – when they want to see you in person.

However, this formality and thoroughness may not be something to mess with, and it may cost you. When I had received my schedule before the day, I had responded via email with a request to go to lunch with a current employee who is an acquaintance. My email was totally ignored and went unanswered. Also, since it’s a faith-based organization, I pressed the hiring manager a bit, wanting to know how much influence, if any, there was of religious beliefs on any business-related practices or procedures in the office. She took it to mean any influence or pressure on employees to adopt certain religious doctrines, and she responded with a firm no, and I stopped trying to explain what I was getting at. It seems there are high expectations to comply with organizational practices, even if they aren’t dictated or even guided by any religious beliefs. There is a certain rigidity to the organization, and I got the feeling that asking questions about them, even just to understand them, is frowned upon.

Of course, with so many people interviewing me over the course of the day, I had some repetition of questions, but that wasn’t a big deal. In fact, there was less repetition than I expected, mostly due to another very strange thing: After the interview with the hiring manager, it appeared as if every other person had a script to follow – a set list of questions to ask me. Nearly every person asked me their questions as if reading from a list. I wanted to ask one of them who gave them that list of questions. Some took notes on a laptop while I answered their questions. They were interesting, probing questions, and this was the thorough part of the interview – many chances for them to ask about my professional experiences and who I was as a person. Nothing too personal or too off-the-wall (except for one or two questions), but just strangely very thorough – more so than other organizations.

Everybody was very warm and friendly, personable and hospitable. They were sympathetic to the fact that it was a day full of interviews and being bombarded with questions. Everybody seemed very professional. Many talked about operating at a high level of excellence and being driven to do that personally and by the culture there. There is an energy in the office to do well, to perform at a very high level, to always be working hard, to always be striving for something even better. It was the usual talk I’ve heard at nonprofits about being committed, dedicated and “mission-driven,” but only at an even higher (almost impossible) level. While this was all admirable, I felt like some of it was a bit artificial, like they were expected to be robots, or that there was a false sense of perfection, that mistakes shouldn’t and couldn’t be made. I felt almost like I might be inadequate there if I brought any human frailties or weaknesses into the office or position. That, ultimately, might have been why I didn’t make it past this stage.

During the interview, I was told that I would be given a skills test, which would have to be completed at home within 24 hours of the interview. This was the first time I had been told about having to do a skills test, and I was not pleased to have it sprung upon me like that. (Why could I not have been told in my formal letter, which was sent before the interview, or why could they not have done the skills test when I was with them for a full seven hours?) When I got the test very late that same night, it turns out that I had two or three days after all to complete it. I sent it back after a day, but I never heard anything about it – not even an acknowledgement that they had received it.

Interview Questions

• Why does Donald Trump use Twitter, and how can his use of it be useful to this organization in advocacy?   Answer Question

Recruiting Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at International Justice Mission (Washington, DC).

Interview

I was first scheduled for a phone interview. Within the week, I was contacted to schedule an in-office interview. The on site interview consisted of six separate interviews with various members of the department.

Interview Questions

• Describe how you handled unexpected changes in your schedule.   Answer Question

Internship Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at International Justice Mission (Washington, DC) in September 2016.

Interview

Initially, the applicant will apply online. Internships at International Justice Mission are fairly competitive. In general, you should have pre-existing experience in the field or concentration where you are seeking employment. There is a specified recruiter for all intern and fellow positions through IJM. He is a very pleasant person and takes a genuine interest in each individual. The best part about the interview was that I felt like he wasn't working through a predetermined set of questions. It was very conversational. If you pass this round, you will be passed along to the person who will most likely be your direct report during the course of the internship.

Recruitment Marketing Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at International Justice Mission (Arlington, VA) in June 2015.

Interview

The interview process consists of a full day of interviews with a hiring team.. While tiring, the experience was very well-thought-through and enjoyable. The recruiting team pays for transportation of candidates for on-site interviews in the DC area. Candidates meet with a variety of stakeholders throughout the day, including a lunch interview, and joining for the daily all-staff gathering, where the CEO is often present. In my interview process, I was also given a one-hour skills assessment.

DAML Contractor Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took a week. I interviewed at International Justice Mission (Arlington, VA) in August 2014.

Interview

Because I was a contractor, the interview process was different than being a FT employee. We interviewed over the phone, reviewed the job description, and if I would be a good fit. Then I met in person with my manager and the team lead to review the process moving forward, signed a contract, and began working. It was efficient.

Interview Questions

• What strengths do you have that will make you a good fit for this role?   Answer Question

Undergraduate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at International Justice Mission (Washington, DC) in March 2013.

Interview

They conducted an initial online application, then a phone interview, then another written application. The deadline for their written application felt unfairly too soon, especially because they had not indicated that there would be another written component besides the initial online application. Both written components ended up being fairly length.

Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Indi, Karnataka (India)

Interview

I had different rounds of interview both telephonic and personal rounds. There were organized so well with almost no repeated questions. They asked repeatedly how I will handle integrity issues.

IT ASSISTANT Interview

Anonymous Employee in Kolkata (India)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at International Justice Mission (Kolkata (India)) in July 2012.

Interview

Five people interviewed me and i had a separate interview with the director on another day. The total process of hiring took a little more than two months. The interviewers were frank and friendly. i was made to feel comfortable and the questions were clear and some were repeated questions from different interviewers. The purpose was to see if i give consistent answers.

Program Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at International Justice Mission in May 2012.

Interview

Three Phone Interviews over 2 and a half months. (Heard back each time after 2-2.5 weeks) Each interview lasted around 1 hour. Interviews went into very specific of the job specifications. I would advise having many specific examples for each job specification. Also, it seems to be much better to have much more experience than they state in their advertisement.

People seemed very nice and friendly.

Office, as many NGOs are, seemed understaffed but trying to do their best.

Will ask you specific questions about your spirituality. Work culture seems to value modesty and similar norms.

Interview Questions

• Explain how your upper level monitoring and evaluation was conducted, your role, and what you would have changed about the process monitoring.   1 Answer