Intrepid Pursuits Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jun 16, 2018

2.7

Android Apprentice Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Intrepid Pursuits (Cambridge, MA).

Interview

Applied online, received a phone call from an in-house recruiter. After that, a coding challenge over the phone in a shared text editor. Last part of the interview process is a 3-hour on-site interview with back to back to back DS + A questions. Never got a response from the company after 2 follow up emails and a month plus of time waiting for a response.

Interview Questions

• 1. Reverse words in a String while keeping punctuations in place.
      2. Implement compare method and compare two Strings.
      3. Given an array of 5 integers, write a method to see if the sum of two numbers in array is equal to 10.   Answer Question

Web Developer Apprentice Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Intrepid Pursuits in March 2018.

Interview

The interview process itself was typical. I thought I was average on the interview, but they immediately rejected me, but did not explain why. I know there were some questions I could have answered better, but I would like more transparency in their process.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for Intrepid?   1 Answer

Sales Support Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Intrepid Pursuits in March 2018.

Interview

I was looking forward to the interview process. I applied online and received an email the next day asking for availability for a call with the recruiter. I responded with times I was available the next day. I did not hear back for 2 days and they scheduled a call for the next week. The recruiter did not call me at the scheduled time, however I received an email 30 minutes later saying she was pulled into a meeting and hoped to reschedule. They somehow could not fit a 15-20 min phone conversation in until another week went by, now 2 weeks since the initial email.
    The conversation with the recruiter went great and I was very enthusiastic about the position as it seemed to align greatly with what I am looking for. I heard back the next day
     (Friday) saying they wanted to schedule another phone conversation with an Account Manager and I replied saying I could be available anytime. On Monday I received an email saying they had filled the position.
    Would have been nice if the recruiting team moved a bit faster so I had a chance with the other applicants. It seemed like a great opportunity I unfortunately missed out on.

Interview Questions

• Typical phone screen - background, what type of position you're looking for, etc.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Intrepid Pursuits (Boston, MA) in March 2018.

Interview

I submitted my resume through their online system, and was contacted to set up a phone screen. I sent my available times, but it still took sometime for the recruiter to get back to me and confirm a time.
    After the phone screen, a technical phone screen with a developer was set up. I was ask to code the solution to two problems.
    From there an onsite interview was set up. I met three developers, they were very friendly and made me feel relaxed. The first interviewer just asked basic questions about my resume, work history, and project. I was also asked a few react and redux questions.
     The second interviewer asked some general questions regarding RESTful APIs, personal experiences, and gave me a whiteboard challenge on Entity Relationship diagram, that basically involved taking a short prompt and white boarding the database relationships, HTTP routes,and URLs.
    The final interview was white boarding the solution to two algorithm problems and talking a bit about my background and experiences.

I was told I would know in a week if I was going to receive an offer or not. I received an email on Monday saying a decision had been made and was ask to schedule a phone call for the net day. I sent my available times and received no call the next day. Finally, on Wednesday the recruiter called and told me they decided no. My overall experience interviewing with intrepid was pretty good up until that point. I feel as though the recruiter could have said in the initial email on Monday that they had decided not to move forward and ask if I wanted to schedule a phone call to hear feedback as to why, rather than have me stress for 2 nights, just to call and tell me its a no.

Interview Questions

• Write a function that converts a string input of standard time to military time.   1 Answer
    • Write a function that works like the javascript .join() method.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Intrepid Pursuits (Boston, MA) in March 2018.

Interview

First there was an introduction phone call that was just a get to know you. Nothing out of the ordinary on this stage.

Next there was a code-share phone call with a dev who had some code challenges. You had to solve them within 30 minutes or you failed.

Lastly they flew me out for an in person interview with 3 developers. Each interview was 1-on-1 in a small room and lasted around 45 minutes.

The first developer asked me to go over one of my projects and explain how it worked while she asked general probing questions to make sure I wasn't just BSing. Then she presented an idea for an app and had me explain how I might structure the components and why.

The second developer presented a fairly convoluted database modeling exercise that he himself had a hard time explaining. This explaining ate up a lot of the allotted time. I get what he was trying to do here, but he just wasn't very good explaining what the app was supposed to do.

The last developer had me whiteboard a couple coding challenges that weren't all that difficult. They are outlined in the questions section of this review.

Overall it was kind of a negative experience as they told me the next week that I was perfect on every aspect except database modeling so they were going to pass for now, but that maybe I could come back for the next round. You would think perfection in 9/10 aspects would be good enough for an apprenticeship.

Modeling advanced databases with a lot of connections isn't something one often does until they are working in the field, so of course I didn't have experience with this. It also didn't help the developer himself could hardly explain what the app was supposed to do for the user.

They appear to be looking for developers that are above a Jr. Developer experience level already that they can pay around ~$17 an hour for 3 months to help work on their production projects. That's how it came off to me anyway. On a positive note they paid for the flight, hotel stay, ubers and meals for the last stage which was appreciated. In the end I felt like 4 weeks of my life had been wasted after the whole process. For whatever reason 1-2 weeks are seemingly required between each phase.

I was able to land a Jr. Developer position at a different company no problem after my experience here, so in my opinion they are expecting too much for an apprentice position with 3 months of low pay and no guarantee of employment after the apprenticeship.

Interview Questions

• **Code-Share Phone Call**

Write a function that takes in a radius and returns the area of a circle.   Answer Question
    • **Code-Share Phone Call**

Reverse an array without using the built in reverse functionality.   Answer Question
    • **Code-Share Phone Call**

Reverse an array in place without using the reverse functionality and without creating a new array.   Answer Question
    • **On-Site Dev 1**

Walk me through one of your projects. General probing code questions to see if I understand concepts. Created a mock React app and had me explain how I would structure the components.   Answer Question
    • **On-Site Dev 2**

Had a high level idea for an app with what it needs to do. Wanted me to design a database structure for how the different part of the collection would link up. He did not explain this app very well, and this is why I failed the interview because most of the time was taken up with him trying to explain what he even wanted the app to do.   Answer Question
    • **On-Site Dev 3**

Two Whiteboard Questions:

1. He gave me a JSON response, which has one property users that was an array of users, each user having an id username etc etc. I had to write a function that would take in that json response, and then return an object where for each user in that array, there was a property on the object where the user id was the property name, and the full user object was the value, including the id. Ex {1: {userId: 1, userName: pete} }

2. He instantiated a class that had not been created passing a string into the constructor. Then he ran a few methods on that class; add, remove, and print. Basically adding items to a cart, removing one, printing the items in the cart. My job was to write the class that could accommodate the methods he created as well as a constructor that could take in a string to add an item to the cart.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Intrepid Pursuits (Cambridge, MA) in February 2018.

Interview

After submitted resume through online system, I was contacted to set up a phone screen. However, the recruiter didn't call and subsequently emailed me with the explanation of "latest meeting was running out". I was rescheduled to the following week, which was already two weeks after initial email contact.

After the phone screen, a technical phone screen with a developer was set up. The problem discussed during it was very fundamental. Here is the question: given a sentence, find out if it contains all letters from a-z. Hint: they are specifically looking for set.

From then an onsite interview was set up. I met three developers, they are very friendly and made the conversation very easy. Three white board challenges were ask first. I did't remember, but I can assured anyone that the difficulty is super easy. If you think any easy level question on leetcode or hack rank is easy, then questions they asked will be super super easy.

The second interviewer asked some general questions regarding to RESTful api, personal experiences, reactjs vs nodejs, academic projects, stuff like that, nothing unapproachable. Finally, I was given test on Entity Relationship diagram, which I didn't expect. I was honest and told the interviewer that I haven't work with it for a long time, but she understood and went over first two problems as warm up with me. After that, I solved the rest without any hard time (we skipped a few due to running out of time).

I wish they could tell me that ER diagram is a major component ahead of the interview, since this piece of information is not given at any source.

I was told a feedback will be given within a week, but nothing came at all, even after I sent a following up email. I finally received a feedback from the recruiter, and it is so obvious that the recruiter is super reluctant to tell me that no offer was given, and she refused to share any feedback (which is understandable). I really think the recruiting team should treat its candidates better, even someone is not selected, a voluntary email of decision is a respect.

Interview Questions

• Given n people, find total number of pairs can be formed.   1 Answer
    • Which one is better, react.js vs node.js?   Answer Question
    • How do you test api to make sure its correctly working?   Answer Question

Web Developer Apprentice Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Intrepid Pursuits in February 2018.

Interview

After submitting an application, I received a request to phone screen where I was asked what I know about Intrepid, and why I'm interested in the apprentice role. A few days after the phone screening, I was contacted to set up a technical phone screening with a developer. I was given 30 minutes to solve two coding challenges on Codepad.

Interview Questions

• 1. Given a radius, write a function that calculates the area of a circle.
      2. Give a string input with a time format of '5:30 PM', change the input to military time.   2 Answers

Web Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Intrepid Pursuits (Boston, MA) in February 2018.

Interview

I received an email to schedule a phone interview ,The phone Interview was less than 30 min.
    She asked me if I can work outside Boston said no she told me that the position is in Chicago evenI applied for the position in Boston

Interview Questions

• What technology have you learned ?
      Tell about your self
      What you know about the company ?
      Are you able to work outside Boston ?
      What are your strengths?
      What are your weakness?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Intrepid Pursuits (Chicago, IL) in February 2018.

Interview

I was given a phone interview and talked about what I know about Intrepid Pursuits and why I want to work there. The phone interview lasted about twenty minutes.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work at Intrepid Pursuits?   1 Answer

User Experience Design Apprentice Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Intrepid Pursuits in January 2018.

Interview

Interview process for me took about 2 months.

The initial phone call was a basic phone screen with the recruiter. When the time came, the recruiter had to reschedule for later in the day. The second step was a phone call with a designer, going over my portfolio and resume. Next step was a take home design assessment. The recruiter must’ve been working hard because she frequently sent me emails around midnight.

For the final step they flew me in for an on-site interview. What took place was three back to back interviews primarily going over my portfolio, design assessment, and general questions . I was told from the recruiter that I would hear back within a week. I was never followed up with despite sending a follow up email. For the time and effort spent, I think it’s poor etiquette to not dignify a response.

Interview Questions

• If you had to build any dream mobile, what would you build?   Answer Question