Intrepid Pursuits Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at Intrepid Pursuits

2.6

Software Developer Apprentice Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at Intrepid Pursuits (Boston, MA).

Interview

By far, the most unprofessional interviewing experience I've ever encountered. The first point of contact was with HR. The coordinator of their apprenticeship program. She was no-call, no-show for 30mins, then when I reached out with an email, wasn't the slightest bit apologetic and just said she was on another call and will reschedule. After a couple of weeks went by and no response to my email, I figured they weren't interested. Then, I received an email from her assistant to pick a day to reschedule. After the screening with the apprenticeship coordinator, I moved on to phone interview. There were technical difficulties on their end because they had just changed systems and they needed to reschedule. Again, the same process of no communication and no reply to my emails and then weeks later a get a calendar invite. After doing well on phone interview, I was flown out to Houston to meet the team. I was told I was great at everything except this system design question that the interviewer himself did not no how to answer. I actually went through the interview process twice with them. Same results and they kept telling me to try again because I'm so close. After the second time, I realized that this isn't the type of company I want to work for anyway. If the way I was treated is any indication of how they treat their employees, then I'm good, thanks.

Android IOS Apprentice Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Intrepid Pursuits (Boston, MA) in October 2019.

Interview

Lengthy process and had to reach out to the recruiter multiple times to continue to hear back and move along. Phone interview was easy. Took forever to hear back from the recruiter regarding the next step, which was a whiteboard interview with one of their developers. Scheduled the time where I had to take unpaid time away from work, never got a call back. Emailed both recruiter and the developer stating I was waiting for the call. Still haven't heard back. Obviously no longer interested, but what a terrible experience!

Interview Questions

• What current projects are you working on?
      What technologies/languages do you prefer?   Answer Question

Experience Design Apprentice Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Intrepid Pursuits (Boston, MA) in August 2019.

Interview

The application process consists of 1) phone screen with a recruiter; 2) phone screen with a senior designer; 3) on-site interview with 4 designers in the team.

I applied through Accenture career site. The recruiter A reach out to me a week later to schedule a phone screen, I send her my schedule and waited for another week. Then recruiter B reach out after one month saying that they were very busy and blamed me for not following up. I was finally able to schedule a phone screen, with recruiter C after another week. The first phone screen was pretty straightforward, with some behavioral questions. One week later, I was able to get the second phone screening with a senior designer. However, the interviewer completely forgot the scheduled time and I had to reach out to him directly to re-arrange another phone screen. I walked through my portfolio and was asked with some questions regarding my design process etc. I was finally able to get the on-site interview in the next week. The on-site interview lasted for 2.5 hrs and I met with 4 designers, and they don't seem much interested in my projects.

Overall I had a similar experience to that written by others on Glassdoor: extremely unprofessional and disorganized. The recruiters often send emails during the night and sometimes do not even reply to my email.

Experience Apprenticeship Interview

Application

The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Intrepid Pursuits.

Interview

The overall process was frustrating and unprofessional. After the recruiter reached out it took several emails to set up a time to talk. Once the phone interview was set up, the recruiter failed to call and emailed saying they were in a meeting and if they could call the next day. The next day rolls around and the recruiter once again fails to call for the scheduled time and after 30min pass then they call. There is no excuse for calling late, this being the second time around. The second phone screening luckily was on time. When it came to set up the onsite interview, once again it took several emails to set up. The recruiter replied back with a one day notice to set up the interview. After the on-site interview, I got a reply saying they had the feedback from the interview. It took several more emails to hear from the recruiter and then more emails to set up a time to talk, only to be informed that they weren’t interested. I’m sure Intrepid is a good place to work but the overall interview process reflects very poorly on the integrity of the company.

IOS Developer Apprentice Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Intrepid Pursuits in May 2019.

Interview

Very disorganized, after scheduling interview for a specific time and email confirmation, it was a no show for the first interview. I reached out and they apparently forgot. Another time was scheduled and this time around the interviewer was 15mins late. It was a total mess

User Experience Design Apprentice Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Intrepid Pursuits (Boston, MA) in April 2019.

Interview

Intrepid Pursuits exploits young professionals. They told me that their on-site interview would be fully paid for but refuses to refund me for the rides I had to take to get to their office. I am a college student. I don't have much money and would have refused the interview if I had to front any costs. A company that steals money from already broke college students? No thank you. If you are reading this and thinking about the apprenticeship program, I advise you to look elsewhere. The pay is very poor, and even if you do receive a full-time offer (not guaranteed), the salary is still very little!

The overall process started with a phone call with the recruiter, a phone call with a designer, and then the on-site interview. The recruiter was clearly overworked. She missed our first interview completely, had to reschedule, called late the second time, and was frequently sending me emails late at night. The on-site interview wasn't booked and confirmed until the day I was scheduled to arrive in Boston! And when I showed up, she wasn't even there! Always late and overall unprofessional.

I met with 6 designers at the on-site interview, none of which were the people the recruiter told me I'd be interviewing with. This made me feel like they were just throwing me anyone they could get. I felt good about half of these designers, and the other half were trite and didn't have much information/experience to offer about the company.

If you are a designer and are anxious about finding a job, trust me, I know how hard it is. But what I hate more is seeing companies like Intrepid Pursuits take advantage of young new grads who are desperate to find a job. That was me when I applied, and I eventually got an offer that is full time, pays far more than what Intrepid is offering, and I know that the company isn't just using young people as cheap way to get work done.

If you are excited by the claim that this is a "good learning opportunity", please know that any position is a good learning opportunity. If you want to learn about being a young professional, you don't want to be learning from a company that reeks of unprofessionalism.

Experience Design Apprentice Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Intrepid Pursuits (Boston, MA) in April 2019.

Interview

My experience is similar to that noted by others on Glassdoor - disorganized, unprofessional, and frankly, a waste of time.

Again, like others, the recruiter completely missed the first called scheduled with me and was late for the rescheduled call. I had to follow-up multiple times to push the process forward as the recruiter kept forgetting to follow-up on her own. I was finally scheduled for an on-site interview (a week before the apprenticeship was supposed to begin) and did not hear back until a month later and several emails (although I was told that I'd hear a decision within a week).

I was shocked that the interview process was extended to so close to the supposed start-date of the apprenticeship - did they expect people to up and move their lives in a week? - but also by how disorganized the recruiter was throughout the entire process. In the end, I wondered if the apprenticeship program even ran as planned or was delayed as a result of poor planning and coordination.

Mobile IOS Apprentice Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Intrepid Pursuits (Cambridge, MA) in April 2019.

Interview

I applied online as my first step. This was followed up by setting up a phone screening with their HR person. These were the typical "tell me about yourself" kind of questions. Any online resource could help you prepare for that. I was then asked to do a technical screening by sharing a coding environment with a current developer and asked to complete three basic algorithm questions. You can use the language of your choice: I chose Javascript. Finally, they invited me out to Boston, put me in a hotel and paid for my flight for the final interview. I imagine this comes from Accenture's huge amount of capital that they can afford this. The final interview is where things went sour. I actually overheard two of my interviewers say that they never sent me preparatory materials on the subject of the data relations portion of the interview. They never acknowledged this to my face, however.

My first in person interview was with a developer, but it was clear she hadn't ever done an interview before. I wasn't sure that the interview was really starting because she just started drawing on the white board with a barely legible marker. She was reading off of a piece of paper for the problems that seemingly someone else had printed off and used a few times before. I was so thrown and confused as to what she was asking, and I know that definitely showed in my answers. No time for questions before the second interviewer was called.

The first interviewer then asked if she could sit in on the second interview just to see how they were to be done (???). The second interview also felt pretty high pressure. This one started with a problem that took the whole time, with questions at the end. It wasn't a bad interview, but it didn't feel like the interviewers necessarily wanted to be there.

The final interview was behavioral with no technical aspect to it. Just more basic stuff, but still conducted by a current developer.

Overall, pretty good experience up until the final interview, in which they seemed unprepared and a bit uninterested since they have so many apprentices coming through every few months. They didn't follow up with me after a week as they said they would, so I had to email them to finally get an email back with their decision.

Probably a good job experience, but they don't have a huge need for people, so they can afford to drop the ball in a lot of ways and still be fine.

Interview Questions

• Write a function that returns True or False and checks if a string is a palindrome.   1 Answer
    • How would you structure a GET / POST query to a database via a URL?   Answer Question
    • How would you structure the data in a database if you were, say, building a website for a yoga class? What would the model look like and how would the tables be related? (i.e. one class to many students, etc)   Answer Question

Web Developer Apprentice Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Intrepid Pursuits (Boston, MA) in March 2019.

Interview

An initial phone screening, followed by a technical screening, followed by flying me to their Boston Headquarters for a three-hour interview. There were whiteboarding challenges, questions about my general development experience, and questions about Entity Relationships.

Interview Questions

• Create a function that analyzes an array of stock prices over time and returns the maximum possible profit when buying and subsequently selling.   Answer Question

Web Developer Apprentice Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at Intrepid Pursuits (Boston, MA) in March 2019.

Interview

I want to start with saying, that because Intrepid is part of Accenture they have a lot of funds to go though many applicants a fly people out. Therefore, don't get your hopes up, you're not done until you get the offer.

Recruiting Process breakdown:

A. 30 min phone screen for cultural fit with recruiter
    B. 30 min phone screen with engineer (white-boarding)
    C. on-site 1:1 ( culture fit and casual tech talk)
    D. on-site 1:1 (white-boarding)
    E. on-site 1:1 (relational database question - quite confusing for some - get to know Entity Relation Diagrams with Lucid Charts)

I have mixed feeling about my experience. On the one hand I am very grateful to have had the opportunity to recruit with them, because it was an excellent learning experience, since I'm at the beginning of my career. However, there is a part of me that feels like they are privileged to recruit top talent, while not putting much effort into it (maybe that's how thing are nowadays).

You're never in direct contact with the engineers, you're only e-mailing a bunch of recruiters. It feels like you're just a "ticket" to resolve in their corporate hr system.

The engineers recruiting you at times seem very inexperienced, so why would they be able to spot talent, if they're just following a script.

The reason why it felt like that, was when I arrived to their headquarters, the person I was supposed to meet was not there... I never met them. And the person that swooped in was the same person that did the technical interview over the phone. She said, "You're not supposed to have the same person interview you twice.... meh... I guess we can start with the database portion, since person A is not here..." that really threw me off guard... and when I finished the interview process, I saw an e-mail that was sent to me about some prep work, a day too late. They forgot (???). I must say that I could have lost this one to someone's bad mood that day.

Be wary of someone's unprofessionalism my fellow code babies.