JCE Structural Engineering Group Interview Questions | Glassdoor

3.7

Interviews for Top Jobs at JCE Structural Engineering Group

Senior Structural Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pasadena, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at JCE Structural Engineering Group (Pasadena, CA) in June 2012.

Interview

Interview starts out with a 25 question Structural Engineer question quiz. Expect to be asked about academic concepts you really don't practically use! Expect to get yelled at because you couldn't recall a design concept that you learned over 15 years ago! Owner told me that I should know all seismic concepts even though I had not been in California for over 3 years! The man even yelled at me because I recalled all concepts of concrete design that were used in non-seismic states such as Texas and Minnesota! Owner told me I should have stayed in California even when there were no jobs available. If this is how he is about current events, I could only imagine how he is with engineering. Expect to be told you didn't design your buildings even though you actually did. The Owner never even heard that detailing seismic systems increases their ductility. Owner claims he will check references, but when the references call him back, he never responds to the phone calls. If this is the way the owner acts towarss potential employees, imagine how he treats his clients - not very good at all, in my opinion. During the interview, the Owner discussed the high turnover in his office - workers left the company in a matter of 90 days! The Owner constantly stated how he wants potential employees to think exactly like him or else he would not hire them. In his last email, he denied me the job and stated he would contact me in the future. That was almost 6 months ago - and hasn't happened yet he has posted the opening several times during the six months! Even worse yet, the OWner badmouths you behind your back by stating things that are not true at all. And I had a California Structural Engineer License to boot!

Interview Questions

• Which sesimic type is stiffer, a concrete shear wall, a steel moment frame, or a steel braced frame?   1 Answer

Structural Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pasadena, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at JCE Structural Engineering Group (Pasadena, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

Started with a quiz with couples of questions in 10 minutes. Then the interviewer would check the answer with you to knew how you solve the questions. Questions include steel, concrete, wood, and masonry. The interviewer didn't ask much about professional concepts, mainly focused on the code names and editions! It seems to me that this company wanted a person with good memory, not professional experiences.

Structural Designer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Pasadena, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at JCE Structural Engineering Group (Pasadena, CA) in March 2016.

Interview

Applied online. Got a response for an interview a month later. They require that you send in your transcripts and a set of completed interview questions. There were two rounds of interviews, each one with an exam.

Interview Questions

• The first interview had typical interview questions. Reviews your past experiences. The exam was a short one which tests your knowledge on the current edition of the codes for wood, concrete, steel, and masonry and other some what related topics.   Answer Question
    • The second interview was basically an exam that covered a variety of topics such as the Response Modification Factor, different methods of seismic analysis (equivalent lateral force, modal, response spectrum), diaphragms, and design question from an old SE exam (could be any material).   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at JCE Structural Engineering Group (Los Angeles, CA) in February 2019.

Interview

I applied online and it took 1 week to receive the reply. I was told to office to Pasadena office to have a interview. Interview consist of quiz section and question section.

Anonymous Employee in Pasadena, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at JCE Structural Engineering Group (Pasadena, CA).

Interview

Think twice before joining this company. So many long interviews, and he is trying to make you feel inferior by being rude to you. It was very unprofessional.Also, he askes personal questions which are not related to the job.

Interview Questions

• You have to answer questions from steel , concrete, timber and masonry design in fifteen minutes.
      Reviews your previous projects and asks questions.   Answer Question

Structural Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at JCE Structural Engineering Group.

Interview

Started with a 15 minute quiz that covers a range of information from materials such as timber, concrete, and steel in addition to some dynamics questions. The interview continued with more personal questions with a very rude undertone. At one point he even started talking about another student. Told me to expect an email within a few days, and when nothing arrived, I emailed multiple times (with no response in return). Avoid if possible.

Interview Questions

• Typical value for f'c of concrete   1 Answer

Summer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Pasadena, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at JCE Structural Engineering Group (Pasadena, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

The interview was for 2 hours. The first 15 minutes was to answer questions on Seismic Design, Wood/Masonry, Steel and concrete. The written answers will be questioned by the interviewer and you will be asked to explain it. Then you have to show your project experience. And he will ask few more question related to Structural Engineering and the software we know.

Interview Questions

• They asked the difference between EBF and SCBF, time history analysis/response sprectrum analysis, base isolation, allowable drift etc.   Answer Question