JES Publishing Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at JES Publishing

Interviews for Top Jobs at JES Publishing

Associate Art Director Interview

Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at JES Publishing (Salt Lake City, UT) in June 2012.

Interview

First off, I did a test layout after receiving a call to come in for an interview. The position I was interviewing for was initially the 'Art Director' position. After having about a 30 minute interview, where I felt very little of my portfolio and work was actually looked at. Besides that what struck me as odd, and I should have trusted my gut, was that no actual person from the art department was involved in my interview process, ever. What then bothered me a little more was doing a test layout for free, with no guarantee of a job or payment. I was brought in for a second interview with the publishers. Besides being publishers neither the husband and wife were ever writers or involved in art. Yet, they had me redo the test layout again for free. I had several red flags going off at this point. I was then also told only at my second interview that they were interviewing for two positions. Their current senior art director was leaving after their associate had already left two months prior. So I was still never told about what type of person they were looking for to step in. If we were both art directors or what the titles were. When asked about money I went with a below average salary for that type of position and my experience. When offered the job they were five grand short of what I had even asked for and set as a minimum. At this point I thought the job might hold more promise based on what the editor told me I would be doing and what my position involved, yet still no definitive title.

Interview Questions

• There really was no difficult question, I think in part to not being interviewed by anyone that actually knew what to ask a graphic designer. The most frustrating part were the ridiculous test layouts and the need to even see those instead of looking at my portfolio and resume.   Answer Question

Negotiation

A quick over the phone conversation followed up by an emailed offer letter. It was at this point that I was told a little about the other new person I would be working with. Yet they never had us meet prior. In fact I feel that the two of us were the complete opposite from the get go. Something that would have been more than evident in meeting either of us for even a few minutes.

Sales Interview

Application

The process took a week. I interviewed at JES Publishing.

Interview

Weak hiring process. Owners like "shiny new people" and are terrible judges of character. Puts new staff in a bad position with longer term staff. Pay outside contractors for events and consulting large sums and don't competitively pay hard working staff, which causes resentment.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Some get better deals to start (higher commission and base) so depends on how good a negotiator you are.
    Guaranteed Base is short term.
    Everyone ends up on same commission as others.
    Owners change commissions, payment terms at their will
    Sign a terrible non-compete
    Hiring managers lie about income potential, account base or change it after hiring