JOOR Interview Questions | Glassdoor

2.8

1. Featured Interview

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at JOOR (New York, NY).

Interview

A phone screening with with the recruiter, a power (half)day which included a coding interview, and a few job fit interview with individuals from multiple organizations (product, engineering, support), a final closeout interview with the CTO. They made it a point to not waste my time, as I had competing offers, and made me a competitive offer.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at JOOR (New York, NY) in May 2019.

Interview

Got a call from one of the tech managers, discussed the company and the interview process. Then had a video interview with one of the engineers and did some coding as well as answered a process question about http requests. After that was an onsite at their headquarters which lasted about 3-4 hours and consisted of a system design whiteboarding session, pair programming, and general interview questions.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at JOOR (New York, NY) in June 2019.

Interview

The process took 3weeks+. It started with an HR call and then a call with director of engineering and followed with a pair programming call. In the pair programming call I wasn't getting any inputs from the interviewer so manage to complete the program but wasn't the optimum approach probably that's why couldn't go further. If you go forward then its an half day onsite

Interview Questions

• What are some of the difficult challenges you faced?   Answer Question
    • Two objects were given and basically we had to find difference between the 2 object and output it an array in a particular format and also write the test cases.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at JOOR.

Interview

I was asked 2 coding question and cultural fit questions. I met a series of people and I was invited to join happy hour. I met the senior people included the CEO.

Interview Questions

JOOR Response

Oct 7, 2016 – Director of Talent

Thank you for your review! We are working hard to create a process that vets our candidates stronger.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at JOOR (New York, NY) in November 2017.

Interview

Applied direct, recruiter emailed within a week to schedule a call, which was with Amy and Vishal who were both really polite, professional and timely with everything. Product definitely serves a need and seems interesting, the only reason I ended it was because apparently they ask for a bunch of references later on and there was no way I was going to waste my former bosses and coworkers' time with that. This isn't the 1950s, even a criminal can find 3 people to vouch for them over the phone. My friends/former coworkers and bosses would have laughed at me if I texted them giving a heads up. I guess the old school style works for them but it was a red flag for me in a few ways.

Interview Questions

• Ended before the tech round, but I was told next step was a hangouts video interview with the lead engineer and no mention of pair programming or anything. Not sure what that entails, if you look good you move on?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at JOOR (New York, NY) in October 2017.

Interview

I had a phone interview with what sounded like an HR person. It was standard and a week or so later I was contacted by email and sent a take-home assignment to build a url shortener - additional specs were to provide endpoints to allow for mobile & tablet redirection and to provide stats. I was also asked to provide tests and a README with install instructions.

After completing this non-trivial assignment, which took several hours of (unpaid) time, I received, a week later, an email saying that they had reviewed the assignment and decided not to move forward. I thought it was shocking that they did not even do me the courtesy of providing any feedback after the time I had invested. In an in-person interview, you generally know what questions you didn't know, but with this assessment I remain completely in the dark as to what, if anything, was lacking in my work.

This is clearly a company that has no respect for candidates' time. That seems to be mirrored by the many reviews by employees who describe a culture of gross overwork.

Interview Questions

• The phone screen did not feature technical questions. It was an HR screen that asked general questions regarding my background   Answer Question

Nov 2, 2017 – Director of Talent

Thank you for your interest in JOOR and apologies for having a negative experience interviewing at JOOR. We make an effort to fully vet every candidate through our interview process that at times... More

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at JOOR (New York, NY) in December 2017.

Interview

The first call I had was about 30 minutes with Vishal, the Director of Talent, who just asked a few questions about my timeline, tech stack and background.

A week later, I was scheduled for a 45 minute video call over Google Meet with Derek, the CTO, in which he asked me more technical questions and some problem solving questions. I received feedback from the hiring team within 90 minutes of ending the call to schedule my next interview!!

Next I went to the office for onsite interview which lasted about 3 hours. The onsite consisted of 5 stages during which I met 6 people. There was a problem solving interview with whiteboard/pseudocoding questions; a coding/pair programming interview; a culture interview with QA; a product interview with a PM; and finally I had a short meeting with the CEO Kristin where I got the opportunity to ask her questions.

I received a follow up email from the hiring team asking for references a couple days after the onsite, followed by an offer call a few days later.

Interview Questions

• What was an interesting technical challenge you've encountered?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at JOOR (New York, NY).

Interview

Overall very nice throughout the process and very detailed about their company and what they did. I felt like they really wanted you to understand what the company stood for.
    The only issue i had was that one of the interviewers didn't really prepare to set up the code environment and I was left trying to figure out how to run my code in addition to the problem asked. I hope they fix that issue moving forward.

Strategic Account Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at JOOR in January 2019.

Interview

Phone screen with Director of Talent - interviewer was tardy and rushed through the process. Asked me the bare minimum, I researched the company and industry throughly and was extremely prepared. Interviewer did not ask salary requirements which is odd, seemed that this was more of a chore for them.

Interview Questions

JOOR Response

Feb 12, 2019 – Director of Talent

Thank you for submitting your interview feedback. Our sincerest apologies that you did not have a great experience interviewing at JOOR. If we are tardy to an interview we aim to give advance notice... More

Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at JOOR (Los Angeles, CA) in February 2017.

Interview

Applied online. Immediately received email for phone screen interview by an Account Management team member. Then was directed to a phone interview with another team member. The second team member was off the bat completely uninterested in anything I had to say and basically just said "OK" to every answer I gave. It felt rude. Not surprised I received an email a week after saying they went with more qualified candidates. Seems like you could take the time to listen to someone and if it isn't a good fit then just say it off the bat.

Interview Questions

• When is a time you've had to deal with a high maintenance client ?   Answer Question

Mar 22, 2017 – Director of Talent

We are sorry you did not have a positive experience interviewing at JOOR. We are currently working on refining every aspect of the interview process/candidate experience and greatly appreciate the... More

Implementation Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at JOOR (New York, NY) in April 2015.

Interview

I was first contacted through LinkedIn by the director of quality. After doing some research about the company, I decided to respond back and set up a call to talk about the position. It was great to be able to talk to the person I would eventually be working with in the very first stage of the interview process. After talking on the phone about my background and interest in the position, I was asked to come in to the office for an interview.

Upon entering the office, I was greeted by the same director I spoke to on the phone and we talked 1 on 1 for about 45 minutes. He asked about my past experiences, my interest in JOOR, and what I was looking to achieve at my next role. We also talked through a technical problem solving example to demonstrate my thought process and experience with system implementations. The director was very open about the company's values and goals, and what it would take to be successful at the position. Immediately after the interview, he stepped out of the room to grab the CEO and I had a chance to talk to her as well. It was an awesome experience to get to speak with the person I would be working for, as well as the CEO of the company, in the same day on my first in-person interview!

A couple days later, I was contacted by the director and asked to meet with a couple more people via video chat. Over the course of the next two weeks, I met with the director of client data, and the director of retail experience through a video chat and phone call, respectively. Each asked questions specific to their team's functions, since the role would require working with them closely. It was beneficial to hear the perspectives of each of the team leads and how they ended up at JOOR. All of the questions asked were fair and mostly about my background/experiences at my previous position.

Next, I was asked to provide a couple of professional references for them to contact. The CEO personally called each of my references and spoke to them about how I was as a coworker, and to validate my background. About half a week later, I received a call from the director who initially reached out to me to inform me that I was offered the position.

Each person I spoke to offered honest opinions about the company and the associated workload, but also about how excited they were to be a part of it. I felt the interview process was completely fair and now I work closely with each of the people that interviewed me.

Interview Questions

• What three things interest you most about this role?   Answer Question
    • Explain a time when you failed, or made a mistake, and how you would prevent it from happening again in the future.   Answer Question
    • What are some of your strengths/weaknesses?   Answer Question
    • Why are you looking to leave your current position?   Answer Question

Oct 7, 2016 – Director of Talent

Many thanks for your in depth interview feedback!!! We really do work hard to create a process that vets our candidates well. We want everyone that joins to be setup for success.