James Madison University Interview Questions | Glassdoor

James Madison University Interview Questions

Updated May 27, 2017

2.7

Graduate Assistant Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at James Madison University.

Interview

Sort of stressful to apply in March and have to respond to the graduate school by April 15th...process went fairly quickly. Two women interviewed me, and one was snarky to the other, but kind to me. It made it all a bit awkward but i got a call back an hour after my interview.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for the office of outreach and engagement?   Answer Question

Teacher Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Harrisonburg, VA

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at James Madison University (Harrisonburg, VA) in April 2016.

Interview

I asked a professor how I could gain some valuable skills in the field, I was studying and they offered me the position. It wasn't very formal, mostly because I had developed rapport with this professor before.

Interview Questions

• They asked me about my research skills and what I hoped to learn from the position.   Answer Question

Building Manager Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at James Madison University.

Interview

It was comfortable and intuitive. There were no tough questions and I was confident leaving that I could contribute and it would be appreciated. I am appreciative of the experience.

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at James Madison University.

Interview

I had a panel phone interview that lasted about an half hour and was then offered the job in a later phone call. Questions about my programming experiences were asked. Also about my supervision style and how I would handle multiple styles of resident advisors. Additionally my previous experiences were addressed and how they related to the Graduate Hall Director position.

The Centennial Scholars Program, CSP At JMU Interview

Anonymous Employee in Harrisonburg, VA

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at James Madison University (Harrisonburg, VA) in April 2015.

Interview

The process was very relaxed to be honest. It was very short and straight forward, less than 10 minutes. Mine was 7 minutes some people even had 5 mins.The interviewers were 2 alumni of the program, 1 graduate from JMU and the program director. So 4, or 5 i think I forgot one person. They made it feel more like a conversation than an interview, just be extremely confident in what you have to say. The key is answering the question directly, not going on about a story every time they ask you something. GOOD LUCK. BE CONFIDENT.

Interview Questions

• Why do you need this financial aid?
      What would you bring into this program?   1 Answer
    • 1. Who are your greatest supporters?
      2. Why do you want to succeed so badly?   1 Answer
    • 1. What struggles do you think you will face coming to JMU?
      2. What are your greatest achievements so for?   1 Answer
    • Why do you want to be in the program?   1 Answer
    • DID I GET IN?   2 Answers

Student Assistant Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at James Madison University.

Interview

Applied through the JMU recruitment website, simply had to submit a cover letter and short resume. The interview was with the Building Manager for the Student Success Center that I was applying to be an assistant in as well as the building's scheduler. Talked a lot about myself and what I put on my resume. Turns out the guys love soccer so we talked about that for a little which eased the tension a lot!

Interview Questions

• How can your major help me and my colleague better do our job?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Had to let them know what time I needed off but past that you get schedule when you get scheduled

PASS Leader Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at James Madison University.

Interview

In order to be considered, you must first have a faculty member vouch for you. Some departments will have a GPA minimum in specific coursework related to the class. Usually a 3.5 for a specific course. If you achieve these requirements, there will be a 20 - 30 minute interview.

Interview Questions

• Pretty standard questions: How do you think someone for this position should act and is acting to improve classroom learning?   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation. Pay is set.

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at James Madison University.

Interview

Arrive 30 minutes early to afford time to find parking, have a positive attitude and exert as much energy as you can muster. Diversity is a very big part of the education system there, so learn what it is, and make it a large reason for your employment search there. If you are not supportive of LGBT rights, this is not the place for you!

Assistant Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Harrisonburg, VA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at James Madison University (Harrisonburg, VA).

Interview

Interviewed with a hiring committee of 4 people, who were all very knowledgeable about their department. Two were extremely nice and social. The interview process was an initial phone interview and a secondary follow-up interview "in person" that was an all-day interview.

Interview Questions

• I was asked the favorite thing I had ever written, which surprised me, since I had turned in three writing samples of my favorites, and had said on my resume I had 11 years of professional writing experience.   1 Answer

Negotiation

I was young and naive, (only my second professional job) and I didn't negotiate the salary. It was a huge raise from my current job, so I accpeted

Resident Advisor Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at James Madison University.

Interview

There were two interviews - one with an office staff member, and one with a hall director. I really enjoyed both interviews. They were more of a conversation than an interview. They asked questions about handing conflict, diversity issues, working with groups, time management, etc.

Interview Questions

• Specific questions about diversity - like how we would address issues facing a resident from another country   Answer Question