John Swire & Sons Interview Questions | Glassdoor

John Swire & Sons Interview Questions

Updated May 7, 2017

Summer Management Trainee Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at John Swire & Sons (San Francisco, CA) in February 2016.

Interview

The application process is not the conventional interview style, but group presentation, once you have moved on to the next stage.

0th round: Application + 30 sec video
    1st round: Go through a diagnostic test
    2nd round: Preparing a presentation/website/idea with a team assigned, the top 5 groups are selected
    3rd round: Presenting the presentation to the senior management.

Summer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at John Swire & Sons in March 2015.

Interview

After online assessment, first round with an HR lady and second round with a manager from Cathay Pacific. All questions are behavioral, based heavily on your resume and online application documents. Asked me some questions relevant to my major but you don't really need to prepare professional/technical answers. Be prepared with stories that show your qualifications.

Interview Questions

• Why going to graduate school instead of looking for a job after graduating from college?
      Why economics, why agricultural and resource economics?
      Do you like HK, why?
      Which industry (out of the five industries within Swire) would like to work for?
      Okay with reallocation?
      Answer Question

Summer Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at John Swire & Sons.

Interview

Two interview stages and all face to face/video call.

Most questions were behavioral.

Anonymous Interview

Anonymous Employee in Hong Kong (Hong Kong)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at John Swire & Sons (Hong Kong (Hong Kong)).

Interview

Assigned a group with other candidates to do a group project. Need to be innovative and the teammates have to be willing to put efforts into the project. Need to have strong team spirit and good presentation skills.

House Staff Management Programmer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at John Swire & Sons (London, England (UK)) in January 2017.

Interview

First I had to fill out an online application - rather standard, asking about how do you fit with the programme, how have your studies prepared for it etc.
    Then I was invited to an interview - whilst also asking me to do an online test (logical reasoning, verbal and numerical). I think they only ask you to do them to see where to first post you as they had already confirmed the time and date of the interview.
    The interview was conducted at the London office by the Head of HR Swire group and a current trainee with cathay, i was told this prior the interview. The question were straight forward and more conversational than expected. They made you feel at ease and it only lasted 45 minutes. The picked apart my CV and my online app, so make sure you're prepared for every possible question regarding that even in relation to your high school years!
    Now been invited to the Final interview conducted by a panel, including the chairman of the board of Swire.

Interview Questions

• Talk to me about yourself?
      Why did you choose to study what you studied at university?
      Which part of your course did you most enjoy?
      Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hong Kong (Hong Kong)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at John Swire & Sons (Hong Kong (Hong Kong)) in January 2017.

Interview

Assessment Centre Interview with 6 candidates in each group
    First was an individual briefing asking simple questions
    Then proceed to group assessment, no presentation required
    Next is the re-aptitude test. Tests were shorter than the original

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at John Swire & Sons (London, England (UK)) in May 2016.

Interview

Online application process followed by the team based Swire Discovery Challenge. Basically a group project where you had to put together a 10 minute presentation on one of Swire's businesses. They were obviously trying to look at how well you worked in a team etc, but given that we were working in teams with members from around the world this was pretty difficult and probably wasnt the best way of assessing individual candidates.

Management Trainee-summer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hong Kong (Hong Kong)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at John Swire & Sons (Hong Kong (Hong Kong)) in March 2016.

Interview

A group competition in which we need to find one out of five its divisions, describe its social impact and the influence on ourselves. We are groups by Swire and with different backgrounds. Selected teams are required to give a presentation to Swire.

Interview Questions

• find one out of five its divisions, describe its social impact and the influence on ourselves   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hong Kong (Hong Kong)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at John Swire & Sons (Hong Kong (Hong Kong)) in March 2016.

Interview

Ap test (numerical, verbal and logic), Skype interview for 45 mins (since I am overseas), Assessment center for half say: ap test, consulting case, group assessment, chinese translation. Consulting case was pretty difficult.

2016 House Staff Management Trainee Programmer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at John Swire & Sons (London, England (UK)) in January 2016.

Interview

Enthused by fact that was asked about what I had gained from my degree on application form which is rare. Interviewed by head of Global HR and a current management trainee. Interview time split 2/3, 1/3 between questions about my background/experiences, Chinese, China, my degree, and Swire-specific questions (why are you interested in the company basically). Some people say that Swire only take public school boys who've done a gap year in Nepal but I think it is more that they want you to be charming, funny and engaging. Convinced that coming across as too bookish and academic is a bad thing for Swire. Speaking Chinese is clearly no additional advantage for Swire even though a large proportion of their revenue comes from Chinese operations. Interviewers were clearly highly intelligent interesting people and company is very diverse in operations and interesting. Very disappointed not to get a second round interview.

Interview Questions

• Why did you decide to study Chinese at university?
      What attracts you to Swire?
      1 Answer