Kinesis Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at Kinesis

2.8

Senior Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Kinesis (Portland, OR) in May 2015.

Interview

I interviewed for the position of Senior Project Manager and was offered the job, which I accepted in May 2015.

It was a four-step interview process from beginning to end. The first step was an initial call with the Director of Operations to get to know one another and discuss my interest and experience. This phone call was scheduled for an hour, but we ended up talking for an hour and a half, as the conversation moved into discussing process best practices and sharing stories. It was a casual, encouraging conversation.

The second step was to fill out a questionnaire asking for my experience, references, and salary expectations. There were also some deeper questions like “What were your favorite classes in high school?” I appreciate these because it shows the company wanted to know more about who I am and my path.

The third step was a Skype interview with the Director of Operations and CEO. They asked a lot of questions on my soft skills and asked me to give examples of successes in my field. Again, this conversation ended up going much longer than intended, as we sidetracked into a discussion on the industry and business. It was a great conversation and very engaging!

The fourth and final step was an in-person interview for which I was flown out from NYC. This interview was so I could see the office in person, get to know the team, discuss what a future at Kinesis would look like, and how they would structure my career path for this role (which I have NEVER had a company do before).

Through the job offer process, Kinesis was great with following up with me quickly and giving total transparency into their offering.

All in all, I felt the entire hiring process was very well rounded. It showed me how much Kinesis cares about investing in hires that not only have the skills to do the job well, but also the attitude and personality that will help grow the business. I also want to highlight that they were very accommodating about the time difference (since I lived on the east coast) and guiding me through this big life decision to move my family across the country.

Some questions I loved from the interview process:

“What are the kinds of people you want to surround yourself with?”

“What is one of your proudest moments?”

Interview Questions

• Some questions I loved from the interview process:

“What are the kinds of people you want to surround yourself with?”

“What is one of your proudest moments?”   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Kinesis (Portland, OR).

Interview

The interview process started out with a 30-minute phone interview that felt rather structured and didn't leave much room or time for a general discussion / conversation. I had no intuition on how the conversation went and thought it could have gone better. They then followed up asking me to fill out a 9-page PDF questionnaire with general questions ranging from those of employment history to what courses did I take in high school, what was my high school GPA, what courses did I take in college, how did I fund my college education etc. They also wanted a complete salary history. I knew the PDF was more an evaluation of grit than anything else, but I was rather put off by it. If they are asking questions dating back to high school, I gather they were looking for someone fresh out of college as opposed to someone who's gathered actual experience. I also did not want to put my entire salary history as that could put me in a disadvantage if / when I negotiated a salary. At the end of the day, I submitted the PDF without certain information and never heard back from them. I would rather not work for a company that felt they knew me better because of how I paid for college rather than meeting me in person. I also felt that it was a cop out from them doing their due diligence on applications.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Kinesis (Portland, OR) in March 2015.

Interview

Phone interview followed by in-person. Nice people, but I got the impression that they are still trying to figure out what they are looking for in a project manager. It doesn't look like the position was ever filled, so they may have decided not to hire. The company location is less than ideal- right under the Fremont Bridge and very industrial area.

Project Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Kinesis.

Interview

The first round of interviews was a phone interview, lasting 30 minutes and felt a rather standard. You could tell the interviewer was asking scripted questions, meaning the interview was less conversational than it was Q&A. Next phase was a required questionnaire, 9 pages in length with detailed questions on previous employment and education.

Client Coordinator Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Kinesis.

Interview

A friend pointed me in the direction of Kinesis and suggested I apply for the Client Coordinator position. It was the perfect position for me because, though entry level, the job description focused on the key aspects I was looking for: growth and mentorship.

The interview process was pretty seamless from start to finish. After submitting my application, I received an e-mail requesting a phone interview with the Director of Operations, Alison. I received an e-mail from Alison a few days later for an in-person interview, with an attached Career History form for me to fill out.

The in-person interview went really well. I met with Alison and the CEO, Shawn. Shawn asked most of the questions, and it flowed more like a conversation rather than a formal interview. One question that caught me somewhat off guard was, "If you had a magic wand, what would you wish for?" (As a side note, I referenced that question in my thank you e-mail to Shawn and Alison by saying I had changed my answer and instead want to wish for a job offer. Kind of corny, but it was a risk I was willing to take to stay on their radar!)

I received another e-mail from Alison inviting me to meet with two more team members. I arrived at the Kinesis office for the interview to find that we'd be walking to a nearby coffee shop for an informal "get to know each other" meeting over coffee.

A few days afterwards, on a Friday afternoon, I received an e-mail from Shawn asking if I'd be able to give him a call that day. Martin Luther King day was on Monday and when I called he said we'd work out all the details on Tuesday but he was offering me the position now. He wanted me to be able to enjoy the long holiday weekend without waiting in anticipation on their decision. It was a really thoughtful gesture, especially coming from the CEO of the company.

After agreeing to the offer letter, the Director of Operations invited me to dinner to discuss the position more in-depth and talk about where she saw me growing within the company. The plan for me was ambitious, but the Director of Operations’ enthusiasm to mentor me (and maybe the glass of wine!) made it all seem very achievable and exciting.

It was a positive experience all around.

Interview Questions

• Who are the people who have influenced you most in life?
      Tell us about your life story.
      How have you overcome different hardships in your life?   Answer Question

Office Hero Interview

Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Kinesis (Portland, OR) in December 2015.

Interview

I was referred to Kinesis by a friend so my interview process was a bit different than usual.

The first step was an information interview with the CEO over coffee. We discussed my experience, Kinesis’ history, and what his vision of the company was. It was a great conversation that lasted well over an hour.

Next, I met with the Director of Operations for an informal interview over drinks. We discussed my experience, education, etc. It was a great conversation and we ended up talking about the places we most wanted to travel.

After my interview with the Director of Operations I was sent a Career Snapshot that outlined my career history, salary expectations, educational background, etc. After the Snapshot I was given a situational exercise that I have 30 minutes to complete.

The next step was an interview at the office with the CEO and one of the Strategists. They asked to hear my life story, which was an interesting question and created a dialogue about certain aspects of my personality. Both the CEO and the Strategist were extremely warm and welcoming. The interview was followed up by three reference checks and I filled out a personality test/

The final step was an informal interview with the Operations Department. It was very relaxed and informative. At that point in the process I felt very confident that Kinesis was where I wanted to be so I was able to use this time to learn more about the operations team and their role within the organization.

The CEO reached out to me three days later and told me they wanted to hire me and would like to discuss the offer over drinks later in the week. At that meeting the CEO and Director of Operations outlined my position responsibilities as well as growth plans for my position

While the hiring process was a bit long, the hiring team was extremely transparent throughout the entire process so I knew where I stood.

Interview Questions

• Tell us your life journey.
      Who do you admire?
      How did you fund your education?
      What is your communication style?   Answer Question