McGuireWoods Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Apr 21, 2017

2.5

Content Marketing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at McGuireWoods (Chicago, IL) in March 2017.

Interview

I applied through the online portal and received a call from HR within a few weeks. I had a phone interview with HR within one week, and a first in-person interview about a week after that. The in-person interview was a one-on-one video interview, and I took a 30-minute writing skills test. I was told at the end of the interview that they would know which candidates are moving forward in about a month. A little over a month later, I followed up with HR asking if there was an updated timeline. A week goes by. I get a response saying that the process is moving slowly, and by the way, how is my job hunting going? I responded. About a month after that, I follow up with HR a second time. This time, my e-mail went ignored. I figured I was no longer being considered, but was frustrated that I wasn't being rejected. Another month goes by, and I get a follow-up from HR and then from the hiring manager asking if I'm still interested. I said yes, but was close to finalizing another offer. So, five months later, I am a finalist and have a video interview with the chief marketing and business development officer, who drips of condescension and wants me to know that everyone is a terrible writer (except for him!). He was unprepared, slightly insulting about the job I had when I interviewed, and expected me to lead the interview. He seemed downright agitated to be interviewing me. I had another offer on the table at this point, and didn't like the CMBDO's attitude -- so instead of asking him questions that would lend to condescending answers, I said I had no further questions and our interview ended after 15 minutes. Needless to say, I did not get an offer, but the vibe of this place was cold, impersonal, and inconsiderate of candidates' time. I would've regretted not moving forward to the final stages, but am glad I took the other offer.

Support Staff Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at McGuireWoods.

Interview

Contacted by recruiter, got me in for an interview the same week. Met with the hiring manager and supervisor. Interview questions were standard and the overall interview was pleasant.

Practice Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at McGuireWoods (Baltimore, MD) in March 2017.

Interview

I applied for the job online. I had a telephone interview with a recruiter in Richmond (job was in Baltimore). Recruiter contacted me about setting up a face to face interview the same day. I had two meetings in Baltimore, first with the office manager, then with the attorneys. There was no skills testing.

Interview Questions

• If I told you that I had a hearing on a motion to dismiss, how would you prepare me? Please describe.   Answer Question

Commercial Litigation Attorney Interview

Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at McGuireWoods (Charlotte, NC).

Interview

Met with all team members and fielded questions for approximately two hours. The questions were all sensible, e.g., work experience, whether you are the type of person they would want to work with etc. No "what is your worst characteristic" type of questions.

Interview Questions

• Give an example where you've been in a difficult situation requiring the use of good judgment.   Answer Question

Paralegal Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at McGuireWoods.

Interview

Phone interview with Paralegal Manager. Asked you why you are looking and what can you contribute to this position. They really wanted to get a sense of your drive and long term goals. They want to hear that you are willing to work hard and be a self starter. A week later they invited me to their office for an in person interview with the attorneys. I have to come in two separate times because not all attorneys are available on the same day which was a bit in inconvenient. We met in a conference room and I was interviewed by two attorneys each time. Over all the process took about a month.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work here? Why are you leaving? Describe your current responsibilities. What do you like to do for fun? It was more of a conversation as oppose to a list of behavioral questions which I liked.   Answer Question

Secretary Interview

Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at McGuireWoods (Charlotte, NC).

Interview

Phone interview then in person. Made to feel comfortable and at ease. Advised of benefits and what job entailed. Briefing of attorneys that job would support and what to expect. Gave background about company and what to expect.

Negotiation

Not able to negotiate.

Case Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at McGuireWoods.

Interview

The first interview is a phone interview with the hiring recruiter and if you pass that interview then you will interview with the recruiters supervisor. The third interview will be a group interview with the colleagues you will potentially be working with.

Interview Questions

• Basic questions regarding salary. Describe a situation at work and how you handled it type of questions.   Answer Question

Case Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at McGuireWoods in November 2015.

Interview

My first phone call was with an HR recruiter and well, but my second interview was a week later on the phone as well and was very formal. There was no conversation really; pretty much just question and answer. A month later I received a call from HR again asking me to come in the following week for an in-person, final interview.

Interview Questions

• Questions about experience with specific case types and software   1 Answer
    • The in person interview was very relaxed. I met with two attorneys who gave me an overview of the position and I think they were trying to get a feel for who I was and what it would be like to have me working for them. It was a very pleasant interview.   Answer Question

Staff Attorney Interview

Application

The process took 6 days. I interviewed at McGuireWoods.

Interview

Received a call from the firm's hiring coordinator to schedule a time to interview at the firm. When I arrived I met with the managing partner and then several associates in groups. Overall I was there for approximately 2 hours.

Summer Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at McGuireWoods (Charlotte, NC) in August 2015.

Interview

Very friendly, perhaps deceptively so. The two interviewers were great, one younger girl and an older male partner. Talked about other offices and their reputations as partiers though, which was off-putting. Not agreeing meant being rude, and agreeing perhaps was not the best path. Overall, though, an incredibly positive interview.