Media General Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jan 15, 2017

2.6

Executive Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Media General (Richmond, VA).

Interview

I was asked to fill-in for another temporary associate that did not return to company. Found the managers to be approachable, likable, and professional. My impromptu temporary assignment ultimately led to a full-time offer.

Interview Questions

• No questions were asked as this opportunity was to replace another temporary associate that did not return to complete her assignment.   1 Answer

Photojournalist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Savannah, GA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Media General (Savannah, GA).

Interview

Met with News Director and Chief Photographer and took a urine test, before they hired me. They also showed me around the facility. They also said I would prefer to work at their station. Also, showed interest, because they really needed me to fill a position right a way, because a weekend editor/ photographer was leaving at the time.

Interview Questions

• Have you worked at any news operation before, and can you run a live truck   1 Answer

Assignment Editor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Media General (Columbus, OH) in May 2016.

Interview

The first interview with the assignment manager was a phone interview. Then he brought me in for a face-to-face interview. I not only interviewed with him, but I also interviewed with the anchors, producer, web team and news director that day. I also sat in on the morning editorial meeting. The news director then insisted that I shadow the assignment editor I would be replacing, so I came in another time to shadow before work for an hour and a half. Then, the general manager of the station wanted to interview me, so I came back a third time and met with him and the news director again.

Interview Questions

• If a news crew is 45 minutes away waiting to get a live shot of a mayor facing criminal charges coming out of his house, but you hear over the scanner there's a fire 10 minutes away from that location, what do you do?   Answer Question

Creative Services Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Media General (Richmond, VA) in February 2016.

Interview

Called by a recruiter and prescreened over the phone about my resume for about 5 minutes that lead to her setting up an interview session with he company. In person interview with the head of creative who would have been my boss. Showed her my portfolio and described all of them. Told me about the company. Very interested i the beginning then seemed bored by the end and happy to walk away, very rudely.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about each piece of your work? Tell me about what this was created for?   Answer Question

Corporate Payroll Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Media General (Indianapolis, IN) in January 2016.

Interview

Interview went well, offered position the next day. They were desparate for someone with my qualifications to fix their payroll department; and ADP Vantage, morale, system, processes, procedures, development of correct auditing procedures, using lean six sigma, people development and management skills. That is how they interviewed me, what can I bring to the table to help them with their problems.

Production Technician Interview

Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Media General (Raleigh, NC) in September 2015.

Interview

They started with a tour of the entire news station then an introduction to the staff and reporters, then a 1 on 1 interview with the Director of Operations who was very pleasing but firm in exactly what they were looking for. The first thing mentioned was this would not turn into a position with the station, simply to learn the in's and outs of media production. The questions were straight and to the point. Where would I like to work in production, how much experience do I already have, how would I be an asset to the company. In all it took about an hour.

Interview Questions

• Where exactly would I like to work in production.   1 Answer

Negotiation

Only the time I would be able to come in and the hours I could commit to.

Regional Sales Director Interview

Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Media General (Scottsdale, AZ) in August 2015.

Interview

Lengthy and multiple steps, negotiation base - he also came at 90k when they knew my minimum was 100k.They asked many questions in all facets. Lengthy and multiple steps, negotiation base - he also came at 90k when they knew my minimum was 100k

Graphic Artist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Media General (Richmond, VA) in October 2014.

Interview

I met with the intern coordinator, Jeff, and we discussed my previous experience, what I would add to the team, and what I would hope to take away from the team's experience.

Interview Questions

• What are you looking for most in this internship?   1 Answer

Negotiation

There wasn't a negation phase, the position was an unpaid internship position

Promo Producer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Savannah, GA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Media General (Savannah, GA) in October 2013.

Interview

The Marketing Director responded to my email the next day. I couldn't make it to the interview right away so he was nice and waited 2 weeks for me. The interview was very friendly and casual. I got a tour of the TV station and got introduced to everyone who was there. All very friendly. I received an offer after the tour but could not accept because the pay was too low.

Interview Questions

• Nothing unexpected. He wanted to know details about where I had worked and if I planned to stay in town and be relied on.   1 Answer

The pay was too low.

Interview

Phone interview followed by an in person interview.

Interview Questions

• Asked some weird questions such as if you were an animal what would you be?   1 Answer

Negotiation

I asked for more money and they said no