Melissa & Doug Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at Melissa & Doug

Sort:

Planning Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wilton, CT

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Melissa & Doug (Wilton, CT).

Interview

I was brought in for what I found out was a 2 day all day interview process. The first day I arrived and was not aware that I was in a group of about 10 people . We were told about the company and I asked where the product is made and the insane HR guy jumped down my throat for asking. On the 2nd day I was given a project to do. The guy who would've been my boss gave me misleading instructions and because of that I got one number wrong out of hundreds. I told him his instructions were to do it a different way and he told me he did that on purpose to see if I would catch his mistake. Then he proceeded to tell me they don't make mistakes ever at M@D so I wouldn't work out. I respond that I am human and asked him why he would deliberately mislead me and have me waste 2 hours of my day.

Collections Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wilton, CT

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Melissa & Doug (Wilton, CT) in June 2011.

Interview

Really friendly employees who are obviously devoted to the company, hence their long work day, but the interview process is quite grueling. Expect various tests in the morning, and then working in your chosen department for the rest of the afternoon. That's a ten hour day with a 30 minute lunch break! That's fine, but don't give a short response via email to candidates who didn't meet your exacting standards after devoting so much of their time to you, it makes you look unprofessional as an employer. At least take the time to explain why they didn't fit the mold or give some productive feedback. It's the very least you can do for someone who took the time to apply to your company and stayed an entire day in your office. I doubt I'll be buying any of their products in the future.

Interview Questions

• What hurdles do you expect to overcome in the areas that you enjoy or think you're great at?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wilton, CT

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Melissa & Doug (Wilton, CT) in May 2014.

Interview

I received an unsolicited call from the head of HR and she convinced me to come in for an interview by saying that I was perfect for what they were looking for. Even though the description was a bit junior, I went for the on-site ... big mistake on my part.

I experienced almost all of the nightmarish events which have been documented in previous reviews. They are playing sadistic head-games with interviewees.

My best advice is to NOT interview with this company. But if you really want to work for these people, my second best advice is to listen very closely to all instructions and follow them EXACTLY (no matter how illogical or inconsiderate).

I do have one question: Who is watching everyone on the sales floor from behind the wall of one-way mirrors?

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wilton, CT

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Melissa & Doug (Wilton, CT) in March 2013.

Interview

Worst experience ever. The phone screen was normal but the in person was a series of tests and stunts to see if you are childish enough to fit their environment.

Interview Questions

• At the in person, I did not even get to speak to the hiring manager to talk about how my skills could an asset.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wilton, CT

Interview

I was a bit concerned reading all the bad reviews and an article in Financial Times, but the interview process ended up being quite reasonable. Phone screen followed by in person meeting at the company headquarters. I was asked to bring lunch with me, but it was more for practical reasons - they only have lunch rooms, no cafeteria where you can buy food. I did not get to meet the hiring manager on the first visit, but was asked to complete a series of excises that were relevant to the job I was interviewing for...

Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Melissa & Doug.

Interview

The initial phone interview was pretty standard, but that's where the standard ended.

I really went in there with an open mind and a positive attitude, I did all the goofy tasks they asked for perfectly and with a smile. I'm usually very outgoing and comfortable anywhere but the entire time I felt weird and closed off, like things just were not right and not what they seemed to be. Very weird vibe here.

To make a long story shorter, I took two vacation days to interview here for the full work days they asked me to come in because I knew I was perfect for the role. At 5pm of the second day, it turned out that I couldn't complete a project because I had no experience with that function of Excel, which they knew from my resume and background (they verbally said this). At this point they said sorry this isn't a good fit. So instead of taking the 20 minutes it would have taken to teach me the function seeing how they said I ACED all other projects and Excel work, they said I was out.

If I would have made it to the 3rd round I would have had to take a 3rd day off, completely ridiculous. You don't need to do math and word problems for 8 hours to tell if someone had attention to detail or problem solving skills. Their whole interview pitch as being interesting and different is totally bogus. I felt taken advantage of from day one, and based on the company reviews that just continues once you get the job.

I felt like a child being escorted around everywhere by an HR lady who drinks too much coffee and talks too much. It is outrageous that they try to sell their fun, family-friendly atmosphere when they work 8-6 with a 30min lunch. Apparently they have 3-5 people interviewing DAILY for the 1-3 positions they have open at any given time, which is highly suspicious.

I didn't want to believe the reviews and a children's toy company seemed like such a nice place to work right? Unfortunately, I just wasted my two vacation days, did a bunch of free labor and was rejected for something they knew I didn't know from the beginning that they could have easily taught me. They said they will call me in the near future for sure because they loved me so so so very much for a different position. Either way I'm not coming back to waste any more time here.

Interview Questions

• Find a copier, make copies of your W-2's and bring them to me at 10:15am on the dot.   2 Answers

Art Director/Graphic Designer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Wilton, CT

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Melissa & Doug (Wilton, CT) in December 2014.

Interview

There where days i had to work on site for free - before they made me an offer. I felt it was difficult, since i was already employed - so i had to take time off to work for free at their office

Accounts Receivable Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wilton, CT

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Melissa & Doug (Wilton, CT) in July 2011.

Interview

Unique interview process, what you've read online is all true. I had to take lunch along with me. They said I could be there for 30 minutes, or all day (their hours are 8am - 6pm), and I ended up staying all day with a half hour lunch. I sang karaoke for the first time to an office full of strangers, and still didn't get the job! Not the usual interview questions (such as 'where do you think you'll be in 5 years time') and certainly a refreshing change to most interviews. The major positive I would give Melissa & Doug as a company is that they really do try to do something different to find their 'perfect employee', and you basically work for a day (including Excel tests, etc) so you get to see the typical work environment. However, the major negative which left me with a very bad taste in my mouth is this - despite the fact they have a non-standard interview process, they'll give you a very standard response if you don't get hired. How would you feel spending 10 hours at a company trying to impress them, only to wake up the next day to this email: "I appreciate the quick response and all your time, but I think we're going to pursue other candidates for this role. All the best!'? Very disappointing indeed. I know this might sound like sour grapes from me, but believe me it's not. I truly enjoyed my day there and wished more companies had the time and resources to interview like Melissa & Doug, but they really need to improve their interview follow-up techniques otherwise they could soon start making a bad name for themselves, at least in terms of people who have applied for jobs and been turned down.

Interview Questions

• We'll be doing a thorough background check, is there *anything* at all we should know about, no matter how minor it may seem?   1 Answer

Administrative Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Melissa & Doug in July 2014.

Interview

I was recruited by their HR department through LinkedIn and brought in for an interview after an initial screening phone call. I wasn't sure what to expect after reading the negative reviews on here and the negative press, but I like to form my own opinions about things and decided to see for myself what the company was like.

The interview for me lasted from 9:15am until 5:15pm with a half hour lunch break. Note, I say for me because I had started with 2 others and they left at different times as they were interviewing for different roles and had different projects. The process involved completing a few projects, completing a questionnaire, and interviewing with the CEO.

The process was long, but not degrading. They sat me at a desk among a number of sales and customer service(?) employees. I did not experience harassment or experience any negative behavior on the part of the staff like others had mentioned. I actually thought that the staff was pretty friendly towards me during the whole process. The tasks were not especially difficult. However, the questionnaire that I was asked to fill out was really long and took up a large portion of my time to complete so I didn't have as much time to do that many work related projects. In my opinion, I think that it would be better for them to ask their candidates to fill this out in advance as to give them more time to complete more work related projects, thus seeing more of a candidate's true abilities.

As far as negatives go, I would have liked to have had a little more structure in the process, a chance to really talk to employees that I would be working directly with, and more of an opportunity to show my skills, but then again I do have a background in recruiting so I'm sure that I am a bit biased towards my way of doing things. Overall, the process was not as bad as others made it out to be and I was glad that I had given it a chance.

In the end, they told me that they didn't have a position that would fit my abilities and what I wanted to do (they say that they hire people and not positions), but that they would keep me in their pipeline.

Interview Questions

• What would you like your role to be? (Tough for someone who likes to learn and do a lot of different things.)   Answer Question

Administrative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wilton, CT

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Melissa & Doug (Wilton, CT).

Interview

The place was super unorganized and hectic. They wanted me to work from 9am to 6pm and take a 30min lunch. You can't leave the campus when you take lunch. Your options are to bring lunch and it in the lunch room or order lunch and eat it in the lunch room. They had people coming up behind me and screaming in my ear trying to distract me so I would make mistakes. This was all crazy but it got worse when they EXPECTED me to perform karaoke in front of the entire warehouse as part of the job interview process. Not a place to work if you like even the slightest bit of structure and or if you have ADD/ADHD or any thing that can distract you. Truly an awful experience. I chose to leave before the interview was complete because it wasn't the right work environment for me. People were loud, obnoxious, deliberately distracting, and were dressed in pajamas and slippers. Really unprofessional! The sales people were cursing on the phone and saying obscene things. I was stunned.

Interview Questions

• They didn't ask me questions. They just gave me a task and stuck me at a desk.   Answer Question