Melissa & Doug Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Melissa & Doug Interview Questions

Updated Sep 19, 2017

Talent Acquisition Interview

Anonymous Employee in Wilton, CT

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at Melissa & Doug (Wilton, CT).

Interview

The first step in the process was a phone interview with the VP of HR. I then did face to face meetings with VP of HR & Director of Talent Acquisition. I then came back a second time to meet with the Department Leads. Then the final round was one on one meetings with Melissa & Doug.

Product Department Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Melissa & Doug.

Interview

Two 1/2 hour phone calls, one 1 hour lunch with head of HR, one 4 hour in-person interview. After that, a second call and in-person interview were requested on their end. The HR team, as the well the individual I would have been reporting to, were extremely friendly and accommodating. I was impressed by their flexibility to my needs and schedule. The phone interview questions were pretty casual- I was asked to explain my background, why I was looking, what brought me to them, etc. The in-person was a little intense with some test scenarios, but if you are qualified for the job, the "tests" are pretty easy to ace. Overall, the process was very positive!

Sales Support Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wilton, CT

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Melissa & Doug (Wilton, CT) in August 2017.

Interview

I'd like to share this interview process because it's unique and completely transparent.
    I was recently laid off and have not explored the job market in over a decade. I applied thru Indeed and received a response within a week. Interviewing at M&D involved one phone interview and three follow up meetings. During a three week period, I was able to meet with several people who currently work at M&D (in different positions) and discuss in detail the job opportunity and the company culture. I shadowed three exceptional employees who currently work in the Sales Support position. I had lunch with them and I was able to experience a day in the life at M&D.

I believe this interview process creates an opportunity for both the employer to present the job opportunity in "Raw" form and the candidate to create a true understanding of the company, the position and its environment.

Part of the interview process involved taking some exams on the computer in order to assess some of my skills. For example, my exams were set up to test attention to detail, organization, excel, basic computer skills and speed.

I completely appreciate the time and energy the company took to explore its potential candidates. It's a true time investment on both the employer and candidates part.

I am completely shocked and surprised to read all the negative reviews on both Glass Door and Indeed. I am happy I explored the company and gathered my own experience and thoughts in regards to both the interview process and work experience.

I visited the office on three occasions and I felt such a positive energy coming from the employees and the company itself. It was actually refreshing to be surrounded by such liveliness, expression and creativity. I definitely left wanting to be a part of everything they are.

Interview Questions

• What do you fear about working at Melissa and Doug?   Answer Question
    • Why work for Melissa and Doug?   Answer Question
    • Explain a challenge in your past work experience. How did you overcome the challenge and what did you learn?   Answer Question

Sales Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wilton, CT

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at Melissa & Doug (Wilton, CT) in May 2017.

Interview

A phone screening about an hour in length followed by a phone interview also about an hour or maybe a little less in length. Next, an in person interview. I really enjoyed meeting the hiring manager and speaking to her. I was disappointed to not hear back. I would have loved to work here! Seemed like so much fun!

Interview Questions

• Q:Tell me about yourself.
      Q:What makes you qualified to do this job?
      Q:What are your salary expectations?   Answer Question

Social Media Community Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wilton, CT

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Melissa & Doug (Wilton, CT) in December 2016.

Interview

Extensive, long, and disorganized with little to no follow up. I originally applied beginning of December and their HR coordinator called me right away for a phone interview. After a long conversation, we moved on to scheduling a call for me with the Marketing Manager. I then had a long call with her as well where I explained my background and interest for the position and she determined that they would like to meet me.

They needed me to be there for a 1/2 day interview so I had to take off work to do it. While I was there I spoke once again with the marketing manager, completed an assignment that took about an hour, met with the other 2 team members of the marketing department, and then the head of customer service. Once the interview was over, they said they would be in touch with next steps in the next week or so. 4-5 weeks later, after ignoring my follow up emails, I receive a call saying I have to come in again to meet with Melissa in order to make the final determination. They said it would again take some time so I had to take off work. I made it happen and made a trip to the office just to be stood up by Melissa, AFTER, waiting about an hour for her. Turns out she was not even in the area and was attending an event "last minute".

After apologizing they then took me to meet with the head of HR where I once again had an hour long conversation. When I left, they said they would reach out to me the following week to reschedule an interview with Melissa. After 2 weeks and no response to my follow up, they email me to say they are working on things and will get back to me soon. Another week and then they email me saying they're going another direction.

My guess? They knew that they messed up making me come there for no reason, and because I stated that I was probably not going to be able to come for a 3rd time, taking off another day from my current job, instead of being flexible enough to schedule a Skype interview or something along those lines, they decided to run away from their mistake. What a colossal waste of time. I read the bad reviews and decided to go for it anyways so I guess that was my fault.

N/A Interview

Anonymous Employee in Wilton, CT

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Melissa & Doug (Wilton, CT).

Interview

It was long and strange. Came in for three days of tasks and assignments at different desks, and took a lengthy and personal placement quiz sort of thing. It wasn't real work, profitable to the company, that I did, but nevertheless, the interviewing probably took at least 12 or fifteen hours total.

Interview Questions

• Where do you see yourself in ten years.   1 Answer

Delphi Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Worth, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Melissa & Doug (Fort Worth, TX) in March 2016.

Interview

I meet the HR manager on the Delphi forum on Google+ as she posted to the Delphi group that she was looking for a Delphi developer to fill an open position.

Olga, the HR manager, performed a basic phone screen to discuss the position and my development experience. She is very open and friendly as she told me about the company, culture and answered all of my questions.

Next, I had a technical phone interview with the hiring manager and a member of the team. While quite technical in nature, both men were professional, warm, friendly, and knowledgable. The interview went well.

The next step was to spend a trial day connected to the server remotely as I completed MS SQL exercises and then as I developed a sample Delphi program according to a software specification document.

Interview Questions

• The trial Delphi project was not overly complex but yet enough to test my knowledge of ADO database connections, multiple table joins, master/detail datasets, event handlers, custom drawing on the grids to color cell text and backgrounds according to different values in the dataset, and other advanced features in Delphi. They use Delphi 7 and MS SQL 2005.   Answer Question

Planning Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wilton, CT

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Melissa & Doug (Wilton, CT).

Interview

I was brought in for what I found out was a 2 day all day interview process. The first day I arrived and was not aware that I was in a group of about 10 people . We were told about the company and I asked where the product is made and the insane HR guy jumped down my throat for asking. On the 2nd day I was given a project to do. The guy who would've been my boss gave me misleading instructions and because of that I got one number wrong out of hundreds. I told him his instructions were to do it a different way and he told me he did that on purpose to see if I would catch his mistake. Then he proceeded to tell me they don't make mistakes ever at M@D so I wouldn't work out. I respond that I am human and asked him why he would deliberately mislead me and have me waste 2 hours of my day.

Operations Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wilton, CT

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Melissa & Doug (Wilton, CT) in February 2016.

Interview

I corresponded by email and eventually by phone. I did get through to someone in the HR department who I spoke with briefly listing my qualifications (which met the stated qualifications posted on the careers section of their web site). The woman was polite and said she would get back to me. We spoke again a few days later and I got a polite "Thanks but you're not quite what we're looking for." The position remained posted for quite a while and then was split int o two jobs. It remained posted until their entire careers section disappeared from their web site. There is now a careers page, but there is nothing posted on it. Perhaps they have gone to using other sources of hiring.

Interview Questions

• I was asked about my experience that was relevant to the job in question.   1 Answer

Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wilton, CT

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Melissa & Doug (Wilton, CT).

Interview

Most bizarre interview process I've ever been through. Initial phone interview, then they had me come in for an almost all day interview. They had me spend hours on a computer doing random "trick" questions. It was a lot of puzzle-type questions, with no questions directly applicable to the specific job. It was also timed - one of these high school races against the clock. In addition, they had me working at a computer in the middle of a huge room with people intentionally making a lot of noise around. I heard one sales person on the phone just pushing the cheesy sales pitch, even getting rude with the client on the other end. Hoping that was all staged, although I don't believe so.

It was a series of tests like this. Mind you, I have my MBA from the top school and scored 90%+ on the GMAT's so I can handle those timed tests. But this was just bizarre. I then remember them giving us very specific instructions for the series of tests throughout the day. For example, when I was done with the test I needed to leave the 2 pencils and pad behind. Print out my exam, walk over the a certain room (which I had to find on my own - part of the "puzzle"), find a certain person, write the exact time on the top right corner of the page then hand it with 2 hands to the person. If you didn't follow the specific questions, which they were looking out for, you failed.

They then had me come back the following morning for more questions. A lot of time to ask someone to take off from their existing work.

Bizarre, bizarre. Run for the hills. Avoid this company at all costs. I am all for unique interviewing processes, but unique just for the sake of being unique makes no sense. Get to know me, not see if I can follow a series of childish rules. Get to know my specific skill set. Get to know how I think critically and my view on how I can add value. Don't spend a day playing silly games that aren't applicable to the specific job just because you think it sounds cool.

Interview Questions

• They asked me nothing about my specific skill set. Very little time was spent 1-1. It was really a full day of just tests and commands.   Answer Question
    • Q: What was one thing that they asked you?   1 Answer