Mintel Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at Mintel

1. Featured Interview

Accounting Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Mintel (Chicago, IL).

Interview

- Notified by email of interview selection 4 days after submitting application. Scheduling phone interviews was super easy through online calendar/open time slots.
    - First phone interview was with Corporate Recruiter - very easy to talk to and also paced the interview well (I never felt rushed to answer, no awkward pauses between questions, etc). We discussed the company structure/services first, went over my experience/qualifications next, and lastly I was able to ask questions.
    - Second phone interview was 4 days after first call and interviewed with Senior Revenue Manager. This was mostly focused on my qualifications and going into detail about my experience.
    - The in-person interview was a bit intimidating. Started with a 30-minute excel and accounting principles assessment. Next were 3 one-on-one interviews back to back with the Senior Revenue Manager (who phone interviewed me), Controller, and a Senior Accounting Associate. Entire interview at the office lasted just over 2 hours.

Interview Questions

• How does your lack of experience in this field help or hurt you in this role?   Answer Question
    • On a scale of 1 to 10, how organized are you?   Answer Question
    • How comfortable are you giving direction to others?   Answer Question
    • Name an adjective the following people would use to describe you: friend, peer, boss/supervisor.   Answer Question

Junior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Mintel (Chicago, IL) in November 2016.

Interview

Started with an initial phone interview with someone from HR that were just general questions getting to know me and talking about the company. They also stated the starting salary for Jr. developers up front, which I appreciated so we wouldn't have to waste each other times if it wasn't going to work. This was followed up with a coding test that was pretty easy. It was mostly multiple choice with a couple simple coding questions at the end. Next was a call with one of the engineering managers and he asked me questions about the answers I gave in the coding test (basically just making sure that I actually did it myself and didn't get help). He also asked me to talk about a project I had worked on. The last step was a final in-person interview with the engineering manager and two software engineers. They asked me about projects I had worked on and then gave me some code and asked me questions about it. I never had to write any code myself.

Interview Questions

• The other person here was dead on with what to study. Constructors, destructors, copy constructors, memory leaks, dangling pointers and things like that. Basically all of the questions were about object orientation.   Answer Question

Client Service Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Mintel (Chicago, IL).

Interview

Overall, Unprofessional.

The initial phone screen is with their recruiter. She was lovely. She was professional and courteous and asked me fairly basic phone screen type of questions. It was fairly quick the response that she wanted to move me to the hiring manager.

The hiring manager needs a course or two on how to actually interview someone. She called me late, interrupted as I answered her questions. At several points, she would ask me questions I had already answered and her manners were rude to say the least. She asked no real question that dived into why I would be a good candidate for the role, or how my experience would relate into the role. She didn't let me ask any questions and she ended the call several minutes early despite her lateness. Overall, glad I got called back by their competitor instead since this hiring manager was the. worst.

Client Services Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Mintel (Chicago, IL) in August 2015.

Interview

First interview with recruiter followed by a comprehensive in-person interview with hiring managers. After that, you complete a project that is related to the job you're applying for and then come back to present your work. It's a labor-intensive interview process, but it gives you a very clear understanding of what you're getting into with the role.

Client Services Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Mintel (Chicago, IL) in September 2016.

Interview

I applied online, and received a call 3-5 days after submitting. The initial phone screen was with the recruiter (who was excellent- probably the best, most communicative recruiter I've ever dealt with). Then, I had a phone call with the hiring manager, which went very well and the hiring manager mentioned looking forward to my in-person interview. Unfortunately, the following week I was surprised to receive a form rejection email, so I decided to be bold and followed up with the recruiter asking for feedback. She let me know that they had promoted internally, which was so appreciative. I did apply for future positions, and contacted the recruiter directly who continued to be a big help. Unfortunately, I never landed anything with Mintel, but I had a good experience and I'll keep searching there for future opportunities.

Interview Questions

• What in your background makes you a fit for this position?   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Mintel (Chicago, IL) in April 2017.

Interview

It was pretty extensive, I had about 3 phone interviews before I went in for an in-person interview. And even before that, I had to complete an exercise to demonstrate my analysis skills, as well as preparing a presentation for my in-person interview

Market Research Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Mintel (Chicago, IL) in November 2016.

Interview

I sent an application online and I got a phone call from someone in HR within a few days. We had a brief chat and they sent me file which contains excel questions. I completed the test and sent it back. I was contacted within a few days again. An interview was arranged for me and I went to their office. The team leader was friendly and approachable.

Interview Questions

• There wasn't a specific interview questions. It was a friendly chat.   Answer Question

UI Designer Interview

Application

The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Mintel.

Interview

Two phone screenings, a project and a third interview.
    I would switch the order of things so the project is reviewed before the third interview. It may save time for both parties if a rejection came before the third interview. Nice people will apply again in future. Had 4 interviewers

Interview Questions

• One way you resolved an issue with an unhappy client. Something like that. Very few typical interview questions. More conversational.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Mintel (Chicago, IL) in October 2016.

Interview

Pretty short and to the point. Phone interview with HR, then in-person with Sales Manager, then final interview with with Sales Presentation prompt. Whole process took about 2 weeks and I got the job so that helps too!

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Mintel (Chicago, IL).

Interview

(1) Call from HR pre-qualifying you (2) Called in for formal interview with manager, they see if they like you (3) Homework: you need to prepare a mock cold call selling a Mintel report to a customer (4) Interview with VP and sales manager, meeting the team

They want to see if you are sociable, likeable, but also that you have a serious grasp on what is at stake. If you can somehow make them confident that you know how to bring in the ca$h and that you have a young, fun and vibrant (but professional) attitude, then they'll probably like you.

Interview Questions

• handling objections and asking the right questions to during the mock cold call   Answer Question

Negotiation

They don't negotiate the baseline salary for this position.

Application

Interview

After submitting my resume and cover letter I was contacted by someone in the HR department. We had a basic conversation about myself, the position and what I knew about Mintel. To prepare I would look at the Mintel website and become familiar with the company. She didn't ask me anything too difficult. Then I was asked to participate in a face-to-face interview with the woman I spoke with and two people who would be my superiors. This was exactly what you would expect from an interview: more in depth questions about my background, why Mintel, etc. It is specifically an entry level position so although the questions were not super basic or easy they weren't completely out of left field. The last stage of the interview is a session to shadow a manager and participate in a role play. The role play prompt is given ahead of time so you can prepare. I kind these types of situations a bit awkward, but I think they know that and as long as you've prepared and you have some confidence you can do okay. I think they can tell whether you will be right for the position or not no matter how well you try to cover up potential flaws. Just prepare and stay calm.

Interview Questions

• There weren't really any unexpected questions, but be sure to come up with some interesting questions of your own and not just basic next step questions.   Answer Question

I got a more lucrative offer elsewhere.