MiraCosta College Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated May 17, 2017

3.7

Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Oceanside, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at MiraCosta College (Oceanside, CA) in April 2017.

Interview

Initial interview is a panel interview consisting of 6 managers. You go into a room, take a 30 min test on Word/Excel, then they give you 10 min to review 20 interview questions --afterwhich you go into the panel interview. They go down the list and ask you the questions. At the end you have a small opportunity to ask them questions.

Second interview is between the hiring manager and a VP. Its a casual discussion and isn't bad.

Secretary Interview

Anonymous Employee in Oceanside, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at MiraCosta College (Oceanside, CA) in January 2016.

Interview

1) Application - Go through the website first and answer the questions. Sit down for at least 1 hour to complete.

2) In-Basket Test - Every few months, MiraCosta College's Human Resources department hosts an in-basket test. If you've been a secretary or administrative assistant before, it means you're doing your (former) job within 60 minutes. It's not a test to study for. You get a packet of calendars, schedules, memos, and emails with a list of tasks to complete within the 60 minutes. I passed it by using Stephen Covoy's Matrix of Time Management. I didn't finish everything, but if I got 28 or better, I passed. You won't know you passed until you get an email from Human Resources within the following week.

3) Interview 1 - After passing the in-basket test, the application review committee looks for the best candidates from the already-dwindled applications. If they like yours, they'll call you a month later and let you know about the interview. This first interview has a skills test for Excel and/or Word along with writing an email to an important person off-campus. It's not a strenuous Excel test like doing mail merge or making graphs. It requires mostly beginner or elementary level Excel and Word knowledge. You only get 25 minutes for the test. Afterwards, you get several minutes to review the group interview questions before you meet and interview with the panel.

4) Interview 2 - Once you've gotten a call back for an interview that same week, you'll meet with a smaller group, maybe only 3 people, who will work directly in that department or division. They ask several questions and really get to know you as a person. It's to see if you personally fit in with the work culture.

5) Job Offer - By the end of the day, you should know if you get the job or not.

Interview Questions

• Tell us one time you made a major mistake in one of your past jobs.   1 Answer
    • (Scenario question) It is now 10:00 AM. You have a student in front of you with your supervisor calling on the phone. There is a 10:30 AM meeting you must make an agenda and copies for. Accounts Payable has just sent you an email about an overdue invoice. What do you do? Why did you choose to do it this way?   1 Answer
    • Tell us why you would fit in this position.   1 Answer
    • What have you learned about MiraCosta College?   1 Answer

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oceanside, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at MiraCosta College (Oceanside, CA).

Interview

The process began with an secretarial "in-basket" test. It is required that you pass the test before they will even consider your application. The test is taken by all of the applicant in one room. They read you the instructions and then give you one hour to complete the test. The test consists of an email from a fictional superior who is going on vacation and gives you six tasks to complete. You then outline all of the actions you would take in order to complete each task. The test comes with a variety of documents to help you make your decisions, including your superiors schedule, some of the emails from his inbox, and the schedule of the conference room, etc. The required score to pass is 28 out of 50, but I don't know how they score your responses to each of the tasks.
    Just a note: The test is extremely hard. I have been an Administrative Assistant at a different school for four years and I was shocked to find that I did not pass.
    Those who do pass the test have their applications considered by the screening and interview committee and, from there, a few candidates are selected for interviews.

Interview Questions

• I only got as far as the test. It included scenarios like, "I'll be on vacation for two weeks, please contact Bob and reschedule our meeting for Wednesday at 4 p.m.," but on the conference schedule, 4 p.m. is taken, so you have to find a logical way to schedule the new meeting and make it work.   Answer Question

Administrative Secretary Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oceanside, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at MiraCosta College (Oceanside, CA) in July 2015.

Interview

Applied online. After applying had to take a secretarial test on campus on a specified date. You must pass the secretarial test to move forward in the process, but you only have to take it once even if you apply for several positions. Interview was scheduled a couple of weeks in advance. It consisted of a 30 minute excel exercise, 10 minutes to review interview questions, 40 minute panel interview.

Interview Questions

• What experience have you had working with people from diverse backgrounds?   Answer Question

Staff/Classified Position Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oceanside, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at MiraCosta College (Oceanside, CA).

Interview

There is usually a two part interview process to be hired as a staff/classified member. The first round is with the "hiring committee." This consists of about 5-6 people in the department and field you will be working in. It can feel very intense, but everyone is polite and friendly. This first round sometimes consists of a practical application test, either an Excel or Word file creation. The second and "final interview" is usually with the Dean and the Vice President of the department you are applying for. Again, this is not meant to scare you - the second interview is more relaxed and more of a meet and greet to see how you will fit in with the culture of the school.

Interview Questions

• There is almost always a question about your experience with diversity.   1 Answer

Associate Faculty Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oceanside, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at MiraCosta College (Oceanside, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

Submitted resume via online portal. Once called for interview did a writing sample, presentation prepared ahead of time and interview questions with a panel. Many folks on the panel including dean and did round robin for questions.

Student Tutor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Oceanside, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at MiraCosta College (Oceanside, CA) in August 2013.

Interview

There was just one interview and it was not hard at all. You had to answer questions about what you would do in certain situations with students. You also had to answer questions about how you would handle situations with students with military backgrounds and disabilities.

Interview Questions

• It was a situational interview where you had to describe what you would do with students who had differences such as students with disabilities.   2 Answers

Negotiation

There wasn't any negotiation