NAV Canada Interview Questions | Glassdoor

NAV Canada Interview Questions

Interviews at NAV Canada

2.6

Air Traffic Controller Interview

Anonymous Employee in Surrey, BC (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 12+ months. I interviewed at NAV Canada (Surrey, BC (Canada)).

Interview

It starts with an online assessment that includes an essay, cognitive test and a personality test. If passing this, you write an in person 3 hour series of tests. They include, spatial reasoning, general knowledge, memory, among others. Upon passing this, you'll schedule a phone interview. Afterwards, there's an in person interview with a panel of usually 3 people. If you pass all of this, you go in again and complete a simulator test.

Interview Questions

• Describe a stressful situation you've been in and how you handled it.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation.

Air Traffic Controller Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 8+ months. I interviewed at NAV Canada.

Interview

Online assessment of 30 questions in 8 minutes.
    If successful, invited for 5 hour in-person assessment.
    If successful, invited for interview, then a second interview
    Then you might get an offer for a training spot.

Interview Questions

• They ask you about certain situations that you may have encountered in your past and how you handled them   Answer Question

Air Traffic Controller Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 12+ months. I interviewed at NAV Canada in July 2017.

Interview

An interview should not take 2.5 years. First you write an online exam, and if you pass then they put you in a queue for up to a year, during which time they might bring you in for a gruelling (and highly representative) set of testing. If you pass the tests, within 30 days you'll have a 1-1 phone interview with a retired controller (this personal interview is structured, recorded, and highly representative). Then, they'll put you in a queue for up to 1.5 years, during which time they could phone at any time and say "hi, we're starting a training course, if you are available we want you to pay the expenses to come to us for a three-on-one interview". If you pass that, they'll send you a pile of textbooks and you'll need to self-study for 50 hours (actually, 100 hours), for free and on your own time, and there will be an entry examination when the course starts.

I understand the reasons - ATC training is gruelling and the ATC job is exacting, so careful selection is required (otherwise candidates will drop out, or be told to drop out, at an excessive rate). But the duration is excessive.

Small wonder there is a severe shortage of ATC.

I am still in the queue. No offer. Yet.

Glassdoor only allows a maximum duration of 12 months. So far it has been 24 months.

Interview Questions

• Do you want to work IFR, Tower, or FIC?   Answer Question
    • Are you ready to commit to the rigours of training?   1 Answer

Air Traffic Controller Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at NAV Canada (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in October 2016.

Interview

-Applicants are directed to a "take charge" microsite to complete online form, submit resume and cover letter, etc
    -Online assessment quiz is an 8 minute English comprehension test (a breeze for native speakers along the lines of "their vs there")
    -Additional basic logic type questions thrown in totalling 30 questions in 8 minutes

Interview Questions

• -Your suitability for this role depends entirely on aforementioned 8 minute quiz so don't spend too much time preparing for an interview or polishing your CV
      -My related Air Force experience doesn't matter either (Vets be forewarned)   2 Answers

Air Traffic Controller Interview

Anonymous Employee in Montreal, QC (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 11+ months. I interviewed at NAV Canada (Montreal, QC (Canada)) in January 2016.

Interview

There is one phone interview and one in person interview. You only get to the interview process once you have successfully completed an online and in person aptitude test. Both interviews are fairly easy because they select you based on aptitude test results

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a problem you've encountered in your previous job and how did you resolve it.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at NAV Canada (Ottawa, ON (Canada)).

Interview

I had an hour long phone interview and then 2 hour long in person interview. It looks like they already had a candidate in mind and were doing the interview because of union rules. They don't even bother telling you whether you are hired or not. I found out through a friend a that they hired someone else. If you are going to waste someones time then the expectation should be to tell them.

Web Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at NAV Canada (Ottawa, ON (Canada)) in February 2011.

Interview

Basically the interview included a panel of managers and some programmers involved in various software groups that I would be working with/for. The process consisted of looking at my portfolio of work, that spanned from print work to web development (but I focused on discussing the web based projects for this particular interview) and answering questions about what each of the projects involved, ie; goals of the project, was it successful, what technologies did I use?

Interview Questions

• What are your technical skills? IE coding? Can you tell us each technology that you have used   1 Answer
    • Are you comfortable working with programmers to develop on screen elements for various groups that have specific needs and requirements?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Not much of a negotiation, you are slotted into a level determined by your experience and wages are set for each level.

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at NAV Canada in May 2008.

Interview

A normal discussion regarding presesntation skills and behavior informations

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotition

Senior Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at NAV Canada (Ottawa, ON (Canada)) in December 2012.

Interview

Question and answer based. Interviewer ran through a predetermined set of questions. There was also a software question where they gave a laptop and you had to perform some tasks. These included finding some bugs in java code, and writing some java code to do some file I/O.

Team Lead Interview

Anonymous Employee in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at NAV Canada (Ottawa, ON (Canada)) in July 2017.

Interview

It starts with a Phone call. Your given a scenario to prepare for. Given about 4 days to write a PPT presentation. Then an interview with questions as well as presenting your PPT. A second interview with the director followed a few days later.