NPR Interview Questions | Glassdoor

NPR Interview Questions

Updated Sep 23, 2017

2.9

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at NPR.

Interview

I applied for the position online and received an email asking for a Skype interview a few weeks later. The interview itself was easy and casual, about 45 minutes long. I asked a lot of questions about the ins-and-outs of position itself as well as general inquiries into the direction NPR wanted to take the department in. I got a call only a few days after the interview offering me the internship, and I accepted.

Currently working as an intern and having an awesome time!

Interview Questions

• What types of journalistic media do you consume? What was it like working at x position?   Answer Question

Internship Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at NPR.

Interview

As a previous review stated, it sounded like they had already made their choice and, rather than asking me questions, informed me why I wasn't what they were looking for at the time.

Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at NPR (Washington, DC) in May 2017.

Interview

The interview process included a series of telephone and in-person interviews with various department members. They did well on the phone to establish initial qualifications and the in-person interviews are more about culture-fit. I did plenty of homework prior to both rounds of interviews and seemed to perform adequately.

Associate Podcast Producer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at NPR (Washington, DC) in May 2017.

Interview

I met with the hiring manager before applying to learn more about the role and show my interest. Basically, the decision was already made on who they were going to hire, but they still allowed other candidates to apply. Despite that, I was offered an interview with the recruiter on the hiring manager's behalf. It was my impression that the recruiter was happy with my answers, but since there were stronger internal candidates, I was at a loss.

Interview Questions

• What are some suggestions for the podcast?   Answer Question
    • If you could have any role, what would it be and what would it look like?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at NPR (Washington, DC) in April 2017.

Interview

Applied online, 5 weeksish later they told me I was a finalist and we arranged a time to video-chat; went smoothly and low-pressure; they did check references. Heard back a few days later. Overall, no huge pressure.

Internship Interview

Application

The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at NPR.

Interview

I applied fall of 2016 for an NPR internship. I got a first interview less than 2 weeks after I submitted my application, with a second and final interview scheduled the following week. It really depends on the specific program you apply for, but for my second interview it was scheduled for only 15 minutes.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at NPR (Washington, DC) in March 2017.

Interview

Supplied cover letter; interviewed over phone. Had a hard time with connection on two different phones - recommend doing in person interview if at all possible. People were very nice but definitely recommend doing as much research as possible and taking notes because if you blank on a name of someone they recently interviewed, your chances are out the window

Interview Questions

• What was a story in this election year that you enjoyed NPR's coverage of?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at NPR (Washington, DC) in March 2017.

Interview

I applied online, was emailed about a week after the deadline with a writing assignment to complete within a few days. A few days after I submitted that, I got an email to set up a Skype interview. The interview was a little less than an hour long, with no unexpected questions or surprises.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want this job, when have you been challenged, when have you succeeded, etc.   Answer Question

Associate Producer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 8 weeks. I interviewed at NPR (New York, NY).

Interview

Shortly after I applied for the job I was contacted by one of the executive producers who asked me to submit some show ideas. I submitted the ideas and reached out to the interviewer after not hearing back from her for over two weeks. I would have to agree with another reviewer that the NPR phone interview was pretty combative. I felt like she was trying to talk me out of the job. To add to the weirdness, at one point she tried to engage me in a racial debate about diversity in Boston. At the end of the phone interview, she asked me to submit additional ideas without providing a deadline or any indication on whether I would receive a follow-up interview. After 8 weeks of getting the runaround, I decided to not to pursue this position any further.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at NPR in November 2016.

Interview

I applied online. Got an email a week later for an interview. Interviewed about a week after that. Got an email about a week after the interview offering me the job

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work at NPR and at this program specifically?   Answer Question
    • What would your biggest fan say about you? Your biggest critic?   Answer Question
    • What's your favorite episode of this podcast? Why? What's your least favorite episode of this podcast and how would you have made it better?   Answer Question