NPR Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Feb 2, 2017

2.9

Associate Producer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 8 weeks. I interviewed at NPR (New York, NY).

Interview

Shortly after I applied for the job I was contacted by one of the executive producers who asked me to submit some show ideas. I submitted the ideas and reached out to the interviewer after not hearing back from her for over two weeks. I would have to agree with another reviewer that the NPR phone interview was pretty combative. I felt like she was trying to talk me out of the job. To add to the weirdness, at one point she tried to engage me in a racial debate about diversity in Boston. At the end of the phone interview, she asked me to submit additional ideas without providing a deadline or any indication on whether I would receive a follow-up interview. After 8 weeks of getting the runaround, I decided to not to pursue this position any further.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at NPR in November 2016.

Interview

I applied online. Got an email a week later for an interview. Interviewed about a week after that. Got an email about a week after the interview offering me the job

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work at NPR and at this program specifically?   Answer Question
    • What would your biggest fan say about you? Your biggest critic?   Answer Question
    • What's your favorite episode of this podcast? Why? What's your least favorite episode of this podcast and how would you have made it better?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview

Application

The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at NPR in August 2016.

Interview

I heard back in about a week from the online application to schedule an HR phone interview.

Honestly never been treated worse by an interviewer, and it was just the HR screening interview. I could tell they didn't like me, so why bother calling - everything was asked in a challenging/combative way. First question was asking if I even knew what the job was (said exactly like that!)

Be prepared with a lot of questions - I figured a phone screener maybe 3-4 questions would be more than enough but they kept asking for more, and loudly sighed and sounded annoyed (again).

Systems Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at NPR (Washington, DC).

Interview

This was a pretty bad experience overall, and ended up being a complete waste of time. I don't think I've ever had an interviewer look at his phone and roll his head back out of boredom during an interview process before. I learned a lot about NPR, but it's clear there are some serious challenges ahead. I ended up ending the interview process before a decision was made after I was left a voicemail notifying me that I was still being considered, but they would need to increase their pool of candidates before making a decision. The proposed compensation was pretty average for the DC area. Keep in mind that NPR is a non-profit, so you need to be willing to support their mission first before anything else.

Interview Questions

• What led you to your decision to want to apply to NPR?   Answer Question

Sales Interview

Interview

The interview was really relaxed. I was interviewed by the sponsorship director as well as one of the sales reps. Keep in mind that this is the sponsorship office so there are only 5 employees including the intern

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at NPR.

Interview

I applied for a spring internship, and during the scheduled time of the interview, the supervising senior producer forgot to call me. I rung her several times until she picked up. It was a very friendly interview, with questions about the industry, why I want to work with NPR. I mentioned what I liked and didn't like about how the show was produced. She hired me on the spot. But she told me to do the summer internship instead, because at that time, only summer interns were paid.

Interview Questions

• My background/experience, why I want to work for NPR, what I liked/disliked about the show.   Answer Question

Corporate Communications Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at NPR.

Interview

Received an email for a phone interview a few days after the application was due. After the phone interview was a written sample (asking you to research/respond to some listener emails) that was due over a weekend. The phone interview was nice, pretty friendly and conversational, though they did imply that they were looking for students who had already graduated-- a bummer, especially because I still went through the rest of the process. I heard back the next Friday. Overall a great experience.

Washington Desk Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at NPR.

Interview

I was called for an interview late April for the summer session. I went to HQ in Washington DC. The interview was very laid back. The questioner gave me a tour of the building and then we watched the news for about 10 min before starting. The interview was a conversation. I felt that I had already been picked for the position and that this was just an confirmation interview. Afterwards, I met all of the Wash Desk staff, so I was pretty confident the entire time.

Interview Questions

• About my previous job/ work experience. What are my interests in news/ storytelling? Where do i see myself in the next few years?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at NPR (Washington, DC).

Interview

I applied online. The process was as follows: I waited for about a month, heard nothing. Then I got an email requesting I choose one of three interview times the following day. I interviewed the next day, found out the following. The interview itself was a phone interview with editors of the department. It was a speakerphone interview, they both asked questions.

Interview Questions

• Why NPR? What makes you unique to the position? How are you not a repeat candidate? What is your past experience with public media? How does NPR play into your career goals? What are some stories you would pitch?   Answer Question

Code Switch Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at NPR (Washington, DC).

Interview

Pretty chill. Not sure how the interview process goes for this program, but only got one interview, and was not chosen. She just asked basic questions. But it took about 2 weeks to get the interview.

Interview Questions

• Why (this specific program)? and what kind of reporting would you like to do?   Answer Question