National Endowment for Democracy Interview Questions | Glassdoor

National Endowment for Democracy Interview Questions

Updated May 8, 2017

2.9

Program Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at National Endowment for Democracy.

Interview

I was invited to come in for an interview when I received a phone call from NED. I was interviewed by 3 people from the program I applied to. The interview was pretty laid back and the questions were not all that difficult. It was also a chance for me to ask questions about the position.

Grants Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at National Endowment for Democracy in August 2016.

Interview

I was contacted after about 3 weeks for a phone interview. After that, I had a Skype interview with the direct supervisor and the woman who previously held the job, which included a language test. Then I had a third interview with the heads of various departments over Skype. The entire process was never made very clear to me, especially as to when it would end. They made it sound like if they asked me to come to DC I would be offered the job, but then I was invited for a "second interview" with the department managers at their office, with no end to the hiring process in sight. I ended up declining the interview offer and accepted a job with another organization. Overall an okay experience, but disorganized and somewhat unprofessional.

Assistant Program Officer for West Africa Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at National Endowment for Democracy (Washington, DC) in August 2016.

Interview

I was interviewed by two people. They are both clearly experienced and good at what they do. However, one of them was very unprofessional and seemed like he was trying to prove why he was there. He was unprepared for the interview, kept asking the questions asked while he was navigating his cellphone and doesn't listen to the interviewee. Their questions were all over the place and very unprofessional. Not a good team for interviews.

Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at National Endowment for Democracy (Washington, DC) in April 2016.

Interview

After I submitted an application online, I was contacted to submit a writing test. After the writing test I was contacted regarding a 15-20 minute phone interview. Phone screening interview was very informal, more like a conversation about what interests me and why I applied and what kind of work I want to do. I was told they are more interested in candidates with masters degree for this position but that they would keep me in mind. I think it helped that I know someone who has done this job who referred me.

Interview Questions

• Why are you interested in this position and how does it fit into your future goals?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at National Endowment for Democracy (Washington, DC) in December 2015.

Interview

I went to two interviews. The people there were very nice and outgoing. The interviews had 3 people and they all asked about 3 or 4 questions but the question were nothing to worry about.

Program Assistant Interview

Interview

They started with a phone screening interview, where they asked the usual questions you find in interviews. This phone interview was with several members of the team. The next week, they scheduled an in-person interview. The in-person interview was quite difficult, and some of the team members seemed unfriendly. I walked out of there expecting not to get hired.

Program Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at National Endowment for Democracy.

Interview

The interview to offer process took about a month. It consisted of phone interview with HR, followed by a Skype interview with the majority of the program staff, and a final Skype interview with the program and department heads. The offer came a week or two later.

Interview Questions

• What do you consider a weakness and give an example of when you faced a problem at work and had to overcome it.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I received an offer/email a week or so after my third interview. I asked for a couple thousand more, but HR later replied they didn't have room to negotiate in the budget.

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at National Endowment for Democracy (Washington, DC) in June 2014.

Interview

After applying, I received an e-mail requesting an interview within one week. I interviewed with three individuals (30 minutes each): the department director, the program director, and my direct officer. We discussed my interest in the position, the future projects of the department, and my potential role in those projects. I was invited to return and told I would receive an e-mail to schedule that meeting in 2 weeks. After two weeks (as promised), I was invited to interview with both teams I would be working with (two teams of 5) for 45 minutes each. We discussed the role of position and found out a little bit about different working conditions.

Interview Questions

• I was asked to define a research project I had taken on either in school or work and defend my findings.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at National Endowment for Democracy (Washington, DC) in May 2014.

Interview

I had a telephone interview where I was informed about the job. They asked me questions about the job and I had the opportunity to ask questions as well. It all went pretty quickly, as I had an offer within a day

Program Assistant Interview

Interview

It was three rounds of interviews -- phone screening, in person, and final interview with the VP. Questions were nothing out of the ordinary -- things like "tell me about yourself," "tell me a time when you made a mistake," etc. Initially, the HR and Manager were very responsive, and would follow up when they said that they would. However, I only recently found out that I did not get the position when I saw that the position was pulled from their job listings. It's very unprofessional and rude not to contact an applicant after three rounds of interviews, and makes me question NED's integrity when they treat potential applicants so poorly.

Interview Questions

• "What is a common misconception that people have about you?"   Answer Question