National Renewable Energy Lab Interview Questions | Glassdoor

2.9

1. Featured Interview

Engineer I Interview

Anonymous Employee in Golden, CO

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at National Renewable Energy Lab (Golden, CO).

Interview

The overall interview process was easy and very well co-ordinated.Three rounds of interview. Initially,phone screen with HR,then skype interview and in the end onsite interview.The onsite will have 4-5 one to one interview.

Summer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at National Renewable Energy Lab in May 2018.

Interview

I submitted my application profiles online through the NREL website. One month later, a recruiting staff contacted me and asked me if I am available for a phone interview. I accepted the interview invitation and we talked over the phone for about 30 min.

Interview Questions

• Basically just go through your resume.
      How did you use this simulation tool?
      Why did you choose this research project?
      What is the difference between this software and that software?   Answer Question
    • Some questions related to the interviewer's project   Answer Question

Internship Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at National Renewable Energy Lab.

Interview

I applied online and getting the HR phone about 1 week.
    They asked some questions about technology background.
    He said it will take 15 minutes but it only took me 5 minutes.

Interview Questions

• Give three programming languages that you most familiar with, and how long do you use it.   Answer Question

Hydroegen Engineer Interview

Interview

30 minutes asking personal questions about my future expectations as well as knowledge in this subject. About how I am a good fit for the position? I applied online and did the interview by phone.

Research Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at National Renewable Energy Lab.

Interview

It consisted of a phone interview which would have continued into further rounds I imagine. I got the feeling however that my interview was more of a place holder since I was only asked one question. This is a shame because it seems to have been a waste of time for everyone, I'd much rather be told directly if their mind is made up, but as a government agency they need to give the appearance of an applicant pool.

Data Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at National Renewable Energy Lab in June 2017.

Interview

Recruiter screening call, then a call with the hiring manager and an employee, then a final on-site presentation and interview. Unfortunately, the position was canceled due to a "change in direction" for the program.

Postdoctoral Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Golden, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at National Renewable Energy Lab (Golden, CO) in December 2016.

Interview

First I got a questionnaire asking about why I am suitable for this position, what impact I want to make, what is the biggest challenge in my PhD etc. After two weeks, I got an onsite interview invitation and tried to schedule in the following two weeks. In NREL, I was asked to give a 45 minutes presentation and then met with four group members for the interview. They was assigned around 2 questions by the hiring manager. They also asked some technique questions.

Interview Questions

• All the technical questions are related to the job description but in more depth.   Answer Question

Test Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Golden, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at National Renewable Energy Lab (Golden, CO) in December 2016.

Interview

Initial phone interview by NREL recruiter. It lasted 30 minutes. The recruiter told me I would hear back in 1-2 weeks. Never heard back, so I made contact. Was told they needed another week. Then at 4 weeks I was told they were interested in someone else.

Director's Postdoctoral Researcher Fellowship Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Golden, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at National Renewable Energy Lab (Golden, CO) in December 2016.

Interview

Process took 4 months. Applicants submitted research proposal together with NREL researcher for the fellowship. Received invitation to interview at NREL for second round. This round included a presentation of research and proposal to the selection committee as well as multiple interviews all in 1 day on site. Great experience and very interesting discussions with all involved.

Interview Questions

• How do you see this research supporting larger institutional goals?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at National Renewable Energy Lab (New York, NY).

Interview

Phone interview with recruiter going over basic questions (typical). If you pass that, then phone interview with manager(s) from department you would be working at. I had interview with 3 managers. No in person interview for the internship stage.

Interview Questions

• They asked me if I wanted to go to grad school, why I wanted to work at NREL, and some catalysis questions   Answer Question