National Renewable Energy Lab Interview Questions | Glassdoor

2.9

1. Featured Interview

Engineer I Interview

Anonymous Employee in Golden, CO

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at National Renewable Energy Lab (Golden, CO).

Interview

The overall interview process was easy and very well co-ordinated.Three rounds of interview. Initially,phone screen with HR,then skype interview and in the end onsite interview.The onsite will have 4-5 one to one interview.

Hydroegen Engineer Interview

Interview

30 minutes asking personal questions about my future expectations as well as knowledge in this subject. About how I am a good fit for the position? I applied online and did the interview by phone.

Research Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at National Renewable Energy Lab.

Interview

It consisted of a phone interview which would have continued into further rounds I imagine. I got the feeling however that my interview was more of a place holder since I was only asked one question. This is a shame because it seems to have been a waste of time for everyone, I'd much rather be told directly if their mind is made up, but as a government agency they need to give the appearance of an applicant pool.

Data Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at National Renewable Energy Lab in June 2017.

Interview

Recruiter screening call, then a call with the hiring manager and an employee, then a final on-site presentation and interview. Unfortunately, the position was canceled due to a "change in direction" for the program.

Postdoctoral Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Golden, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at National Renewable Energy Lab (Golden, CO) in December 2016.

Interview

First I got a questionnaire asking about why I am suitable for this position, what impact I want to make, what is the biggest challenge in my PhD etc. After two weeks, I got an onsite interview invitation and tried to schedule in the following two weeks. In NREL, I was asked to give a 45 minutes presentation and then met with four group members for the interview. They was assigned around 2 questions by the hiring manager. They also asked some technique questions.

Interview Questions

• All the technical questions are related to the job description but in more depth.   Answer Question

Test Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Golden, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at National Renewable Energy Lab (Golden, CO) in December 2016.

Interview

Initial phone interview by NREL recruiter. It lasted 30 minutes. The recruiter told me I would hear back in 1-2 weeks. Never heard back, so I made contact. Was told they needed another week. Then at 4 weeks I was told they were interested in someone else.

Director's Postdoctoral Researcher Fellowship Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Golden, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at National Renewable Energy Lab (Golden, CO) in December 2016.

Interview

Process took 4 months. Applicants submitted research proposal together with NREL researcher for the fellowship. Received invitation to interview at NREL for second round. This round included a presentation of research and proposal to the selection committee as well as multiple interviews all in 1 day on site. Great experience and very interesting discussions with all involved.

Interview Questions

• How do you see this research supporting larger institutional goals?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at National Renewable Energy Lab (New York, NY).

Interview

Phone interview with recruiter going over basic questions (typical). If you pass that, then phone interview with manager(s) from department you would be working at. I had interview with 3 managers. No in person interview for the internship stage.

Interview Questions

• They asked me if I wanted to go to grad school, why I wanted to work at NREL, and some catalysis questions   Answer Question

Industry Growth Forum Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at National Renewable Energy Lab (New York, NY).

Interview

I received an email asking for a time to set up a phone interview as well as a time to go in for an interview. I completed the phone interview, but when I was told my gpa was too low, they immediately canceled my in person interview. I found it strange they would even schedule the in person before screening over the phone.

Interview Questions

• Why are you a qualified candidate?   1 Answer

Internship Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at National Renewable Energy Lab.

Interview

Was contacted by recruiter after which set up 30 minute phone interview. Questions mainly dealt with my quantitative research experience and I was asked to recall specific projects I had worked on and specific details such as which data set I had used. Interview was very nice.

Received a follow up call a couple days later offering me the position and received both an offer letter and was required to take a drug test/background check. After proceeding with the on board process I was out of nowhere called and told that they could no longer offer me the position and offered a vague "funding issues" explanation. This was such an unbelievably unprofessional experience, I would never experience a place with such a good reputation to do something like this.

Interview Questions

• Can you recap a specific research project you worked on?   Answer Question