New America Interview Questions | Glassdoor

New America Interview Questions

Updated Jun 5, 2017

2.6

Internship Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at New America in May 2017.

Interview

Applied online for an internship position and about 2-3 weeks later received an email about setting up a phone interview. Had the phone interview a few days later with one staff member (it was originally going to be with two, but the other one was unavailable that day).

Interview Questions

• Standard interview questions, such as how did I hear about New America, why I wanted the position, questions about my previous working experiences, and if I consider myself more of an individual worker or a team-worker.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at New America (Washington, DC) in August 2016.

Interview

After applying online, I was contacted within a couple of weeks to do a phone interview in the next few days. I spoke with two members of the department. They were very friendly, candid, and put me at ease. They let me know soon after the interview that I would not be moving forward.

Interview Questions

• Most of the interview questions were standard - why did I want an internship there, how did I hear about the position, past work experience, working style. One question that stood out was about specific strategies I would use to approach a writing assignment, and how I would go about communicating complex ideas.   Answer Question

Program Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at New America (Washington, DC).

Interview

I responded with a cover letter and to an idealist.org job announcement and had an antitank interview by phone 2 weeks later. That interview was followed by two others with senior management within the following 3 weeks. I am awaiting next steps, which I imagine will be a request for references or a job offer.

Interview Questions

• How did your career unfold? What would you bring to the position?   Answer Question

I have not received an offer yet. My only reservation about accepting it would be how the scope of work would be structured.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at New America (New York, NY) in December 2015.

Interview

I had a phone interview with the program director, who asked me questions about why I was interested in this specific program, my background, what I thought were most pressing issues for this particular program/issue in America, etc.

Graphic Artist Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at New America (Washington, DC) in June 2014.

Interview

First I was interviewed by an HR officer about my strongest points, my experience in non-profit organization, what I know about New America Foundation. Then I was interviwed by 3 techinal staff about my portfolio, why I moved to the Metro Area, some of my desktop publishing experience and HTML 5.

Interview Questions

• What is HTML 5? What is the difference between HTML 5 and other versions?   1 Answer

Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at New America (Washington, DC) in July 2013.

Interview

Got to meet with some senior folks with national name recognition. Position was described to me in pretty unflattering terms - hard work, low pay - but that's typical for junior think-tank work, so no problem. It was a very quick session and they made it seem like they were very busy. Not many questions for me, I sort of had to drive the conversation. One unprofessional question was asked, basically about my personal financial status, which was a bit odd.

Interview Questions

• General questions about research skills and approach.   1 Answer

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at New America.

Interview

Applied after seeing post online. Advertised as paid, but position offered was unpaid. Between submission of cover letter and materials and first interview approximately 3 weeks had passed. Another week before offer was made.

Program Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at New America (Washington, DC) in May 2012.

Interview

I have interviewed for two different positions within a specific program at the New America Foundation. For the first position, I knew I wouldn't be the most qualified candidate, and as I expected, the phone interview was only mediocre. But at the end of the phone interview, I was assured twice that I would hear back within one week. Two weeks passed... nothing. I emailed the interviewer and didn't hear back. Two more weeks.... nothing. I emailed once more and didn't hear back.

Three months later I saw another position posted for which I was well qualified. Shortly after applying, I was contacted and we setup a phone interview. The interview went well, lasted for an hour, and during it, the interviewer spoke of bringing me in for 3-4 one-hour interviews, said he could see us working together, and assured me that we would speak soon. Two weeks pass... nothing. I emailed him and he said he had been busy because he had to leave the country for work (for one week), but he hoped to get in touch when he returned. I told him I understood and looked forward to talking more. He responded on the same day asking if I had applied for any other jobs within the program because we had a good interview and he would pass it along (which startled me, and in hindsight I should have known).

Almost three weeks pass after this... nothing. I email him, and later that day he told me the position had been filled, but he had forwarded my resume internally and spoke of our phone interview.

TL;DR: I was lead on twice. My emails to the first interviewer were ignored despite reassurance that I would hear back. The second interviewer at least responded to me and told me the position was filled, but it was well over a month after the first interview and after he had spoke of me coming in for a full day of interviews.

I'm enthusiastic about one of their programs and hope to make my career in the field, but my two encounters with the organization have left a very negative impression.

Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at New America (Washington, DC) in January 2012.

Interview

I had an initial phone interview for a 6-month research associate, and then an in-person interview with the HR director, a current RA, and a fellow. I kept getting strung along - HR at the time (different HR now) kept telling me that they'd like to hire me but getting putting off the start date. I interviewed in January and wasn't hired until July.

Interview Questions

• What programs interest you?   1 Answer

Research Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at New America.

Interview

The whole process took about two months from application to the second round interview. At first we spoke on the phone because I was unable to come to the D.C. office, then there was a writing test and then a final in-person interview. Everyone I met with was very friendly. They did not ask difficult questions - in fact they left the question-asking entirely up to me.