New England Aquarium Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Feb 14, 2017

2.8

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at New England Aquarium (Boston, MA).

Interview

I applied online. Then I had a phone interview. After that I was brought into the Aquarium to interview with the head of the department I was applying for. From there I waited a few weeks and then heard.

Interview Questions

• How does your past experience make you qualified for this position.   1 Answer

Program Educator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at New England Aquarium (Boston, MA) in May 2016.

Interview

Phone Interview with a hiring specialist. He asked some logistical questions, then some standard interview questions, and then opened it up to my questions. This was a pre-screening phone interview, so he took notes to discuss all the interviews with the appropriate department before inviting contenders for a second round of interviews on site.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for us? Describe a creative way you answered a child's question. What type of work environment do you prefer?   Answer Question

Internship Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at New England Aquarium (Boston, MA) in February 2016.

Interview

Internship application sent to the aquarium in the mail. I was contacted a few weeks later for an interview with human resources. I then got an interview with the specific department I was applying to work with a few weeks after that. Interviews were conducted on Skype and via phone.

Interview Questions

• Fairly standard questions. What do you think are the roles and responsibilities of an aquarium? What do you hope to get out of the internship?   Answer Question

Volunteer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at New England Aquarium (Boston, MA).

Interview

Took about a week. I went in for a laid back interview at the main building in Boston, where I met with the volunteer coordinator. She was very friendly, which made the interview go smoothly. I got called back for another interview in the Quincy facility, and sat down with staff to hear more about what I would be doing as a volunteer. The second interview was more like a getting to know you introduction, and I was pretty much guaranteed to become a volunteer at that point.

Interview Questions

• What are your work styles? What do you know about the aquarium? How do you handle difficult situations?   Answer Question

Development Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at New England Aquarium (Boston, MA) in October 2015.

Interview

One phone call with HR, one in-person meet with HR, one meeting with managers. Truly passionate people who are enthralled in being a part of the cultural identity of Boston. Interviews are rare there since the turnover is so low - it's clear you're working alongside people who love their jobs.

Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at New England Aquarium (Boston, MA) in April 2015.

Interview

The interview process was well organized and efficient. The interviewers were attentive and well prepared. I had a phone screen with the HR department followed by an in-person with HR and the direct supervisor. That was followed by a second in-person with other team members. The fourth visit was with department leadership and for any final questions for the direct supervisors.

Visitor Education Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at New England Aquarium (Boston, MA) in February 2015.

Interview

The process was quite smooth. The first interview was via skype with the internship coordinator. This interview was completely behavioral questions, nothing about specific hard skills. The second interview was with a manager within my department. Again, this was a behavioral interview.

Interview Questions

• Could you give an example where you had to make an on the fly decision? How did you make your decision, and what were the outcomes?   Answer Question

Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at New England Aquarium.

Interview

The process was straight forward and easy for the initial phase.They called very soon after the application was submitted on-line. A phone interview was schedule with a HR agent, so the questions were more related to resume experience, general behavioral questions, etc.

Marine Mammal Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at New England Aquarium (Boston, MA) in February 2014.

Interview

The first interview was via Skype (video chat) due to out of state applicant. They asked about my dream job, what I can bring to their facility, what their mission is, what life habits I have that coincide with their mission, my understanding of the position which I applied for, define professionalism, good qualities I have, pet peeves, etc. Describe situations when you had to make a split second decision, when you didn't get along with someone, when you handled things well. This interview was with the people that are head of interns and volunteers. If you get a second interview (which they tell you a couple of weeks later), it will be with the supervisor/head of the department in which you are applying.

Interview Questions

• What qualities about you, not on the paper application, can you bring to our institution?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at New England Aquarium (Boston, MA) in May 2013.

Interview

I applied online and did an interview with their intern program staff followed by an in-person interview with the Lead Naturalist. I originally interviewed for another internship with the Aquarium but they offered to place me with the whale watch team.