New York Internet Interview Questions | Glassdoor

2.2

Interviews for Top Jobs at New York Internet

Systems Administrator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at New York Internet (New York, NY) in November 2015.

Interview

HR phone interview was fairly straightforward/easy just going over your experience and discussing the role. Then an in-person interview at an alternate location from their actual office, which is a bit weird. Before the interview, I was given a two page quiz on computing to fill out. Then an employee came in for the interview portion.

He looked at my quiz for less than a second before saying, "Whatever, we don't need to look at this." Which was pretty disappointing since my answers were good, I thought. Then he went on to ask me everything about computers you'd ever ask someone, down to every last detail, which was kind of ridiculous. It's like he was getting off on extracting information from me that he just personally wanted to know that wasn't even that relevant to the position. He asked an inordinate amount of questions about telnet and various DNS sorts of intricacies. He also mocked me once in the interview, which was sort of hurtful.

Interview Questions

• If a website doesn't show up (i.e. blank page), what are the steps you'd take to figure out why?   1 Answer

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at New York Internet.

Interview

First, there was a phone screen. After that, they invited me to their office in NY where I filled out the application and a short written technical exam. Then came the personal and technical interviews.

Interview Questions

• If your computer failed to boot, what steps would you take to identify the problem? Explain each step.   Answer Question

Data Center Technician Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at New York Internet (New York, NY) in August 2012.

Interview

The interview will consist of two parts, an HR person and a technical person. The HR portion is standard and generic. The technical portion usually starts with a review of your performance on a simple test of Unix and basic troubleshooting questions they administered before the interview and branches off from there. While the job title is for Data Center Technician they heavily prefer candidates who have a fair proficiency in *Nix environments or showcase a desire for and adeptness at learning unix sysadmin skills. You do not need previous industry experience, just some sort of way of demonstrating your capabilities with computers. Expressing a willingness to work all shifts and do any assigned task will get you far. If you are used to a formal IT environment with defined tasks, structure and responsibilities, and that's what you're looking for - save yourself the trouble and look elsewhere.

If you do not hear back within a week, or the following two or three days even, you did not get the job. If you do get an offer, you can start working as soon as possible.

Interview Questions

• Don't remember, probably some basic nix thing, like configuring a nic at the command line.   1 Answer

Negotiation

If you feel like negotiating for higher pay, don't expect success, especially if you have no demonstrated abilities or previous industry experience. And if you do, you'll likely not find much flexibility for increases. They prefer to hire cheap raw inexperienced personnel in the hopes of getting hardworking competent employees within 2 months or so, instead of boasted "skill set" employees with bloated pay and an unwillingness to do tasks "below" them and no desire to attempt tasks outside their capabilities that they are uncomfortable with.

Data Center Technician Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at New York Internet (New York, NY) in January 2012.

Interview

Human resources interview and technical interview later in the day. After technical interview there was a skill test. The skills test was mostly about linux and bsd. Various server technologies.

Interview Questions

• Skills interview about open source technology, networking hardware and software, etc.   1 Answer