Office for National Statistics Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Office for National Statistics Interview Questions

Updated Apr 21, 2017

2.9

Project Support Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fareham, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at Office for National Statistics (Fareham, England (UK)) in April 2017.

Interview

Online recruitment process is straightforward and easy to use. Job description and skills spec are clear. Use a competency based selection process, the framework used is provided to support application and interview. Very positive and friendly panel.

Interview Questions

• Questions were all directly elated directly to the competencies identified in application   Answer Question

GES Sandwich Placement Interview

Anonymous Employee in Newport, Newport, Wales (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Office for National Statistics (Newport, Newport, Wales (UK)) in November 2016.

Interview

2 members of staff: one economist, one operational. Interview of about 40 mins split into 2 between both staff: half about competences, the other half on knowledge of micro and macro.

Field Interviewer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Telford, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 8 weeks. I interviewed at Office for National Statistics (Telford, England (UK)) in July 2016.

Interview

The interview itself was a fairly standard interview format with some Qs relating to case scenarios of things that might happen on the doorstep. The interview panel consisted of two members of the ONS Office, who toke turns to pose questions, that followed a fairly standard format.

Interview Questions

• How to overcome rejection on the doorstep, how to handle tricky respondents.   1 Answer

A Level Three Economist Role (HEO) Interview

Anonymous Employee in Newport, Newport, Wales (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Office for National Statistics (Newport, Newport, Wales (UK)) in April 2016.

Interview

I filled in an online application covering six competencies (which were bullet pointed on the job specification). A week or so later they invited me to choose an interview day and time. The interview revolved around the six competencies. One interviewer asked about the first three, to which I responded with a SMART example and answered follow up questions. The second interviewer then quizzed me on macroeconomics, microeconomics, and econometrics.

[Awaiting response, I have no yet received an offer or accepted it despite the comment with this review which says I have]

Interview Questions

• Can you tell me about a time where you have had to rely upon a work relationship in order to get something done effectively?   Answer Question
    • Can you tell us a bit about yourself and your background?   Answer Question
    • Can you give an example of where you have delivered at pace?   Answer Question
    • What sources of data might you draw upon when preparing an ONS nowcast?   Answer Question

Placement Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Newport, Newport, Wales (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Office for National Statistics (Newport, Newport, Wales (UK)) in December 2015.

Interview

15 minute numeracy test before the interview which was very easy. Mainly percentage changes and ratios. For the interview there is a panel of two interviewers or more. The first 10 minutes of the interview is all competency based questions. The second part was based on questions on macroeconomics and microeconomics to test your knowledge and understanding of economics. The questions are mainly A-level economic style questions.

Interview Questions

• Name a time you have worked in a team to achieve a task.

What are the disadvantages of inflation?

What us quantitative easing?
      Answer Question

Field Interviewer Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Office for National Statistics (London, England (UK)).

Interview

The process is fairly straightforward. You fill in an online application form and attach a supplementary form that has contact details of references etc. After you sent your application you will get invited to attend a assessment centre. You have a choice on which day/time you prefer. Though you have no choice on location...i had to travel 60 miles!!! Once there you expect a dozen or so people, it was only me and one other gentlemen. The first part is supplying your documents, then i was taken to another room to do 2 tasks while the other gentlemen went for the interview stage. The tasks are fairly easy, one was recording details correctly and marking addresses on a map...make sure your familiar on how to use a A-Z map!!!!! Very important!!!! after that it was a 10 minute timed laptop task which involved entering data in the right order and with the right codes. After the tasks i was sent back to the lobby. It was my turn for the interview while the other chap undertakes the tasks i had just completed. The interview was nit what i expected, e.g. Didnt have standard interview questions such as why you want to work for ONS or why you are suitable for this role, it was more of repeating what you wrote on your online application form. They go through the competencies and what examples of you meeting these competencies. A very rigid and structured interview. It lasted for about 15-20 mins.

After this there is a brief wait until a final excercise... A role play. This was a mock excercise consisting of you being a field interviewer knocking on someones door who obviously isnt interested in partaking in the survey at all. Its an easy role play if you read the brief they give you. You have 10 mins prior to the role play to have a look and at it and make your notes. You can refer to your notes.

The role play lasted less then 5 mins for me..i could see the assessor trying to make it difficult for me but i thrive in situations like that so he was left speechless after a few minutes of complaining/putting pressure on me. If you read the brief carefully it has all the answers to the assesors complaints of partaking e.g. Why you choose me? What about confidentiality etc

After this there was jus a very short discussion in whether i had any questions...i didnt, though in hindsight i should have made one up just to seem enthusiatic or whatever.

After a couple of days i get a call notifying me that i had been successful and have been made a provisional offer. I had to apply for a disclosure certificate immediately as told by the recruitment team and was given a start date. Which was around three weeks from the call. In that time they do checks/references and wait for your dbs certificate as it can take two weeks to arrive. you have to pay for this but you do get reimbursed upon the first day of employment.

I have now recieved my training programme which is a meeting, shadowing, and three days training in titchfield. Not much to be honest but what do you expect from this position.

The whole interview process was about 2.5 hrs ALOT longer then it needed to be especially if it was just me and one other chap on the assessment day. Rediculous.

Just general advice, when being interviewed come across confident and personable as these are key traits for this position. They were very rigid and straight faced but i was able to make them laugh and start a two way conversation. It was a pleasant interview though they were going for the clinical emotionless type of interview.

Overall it was a good day, what i enjoyed the most was knowing i did my utter best... I couldnt of done any better. I throughly enjoyed the role play and wished it was more challenging and longer. I wasnt to fond of travelling 60 miles away but hey you cant always have it your way.

Best of luck i hope my insight has helped.

Student Placement Interview

Anonymous Employee in Newport, Newport, Wales (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Office for National Statistics (Newport, Newport, Wales (UK)) in November 2015.

Interview

Began with a 20 minute maths test. Essentially just calculating percentage change for growth rates but they give you straight-forward numbers to work with. Then you go into an interview. You are interviewed by 2 people, at least one of which will be an Economist/Statistician (depending on which placement you're applying for). Interview lasted about 40 minutes. They provide paper and pens to note down ideas when you're thinking of answers.

Interview Questions

• For Economics, they will ask you one question on macroeconomics and one on microeconomics. They may relate to your application form so might be worth looking at ahead of your interview to remind yourself what you put down. They will ask you competency based questions such as experience in working in a team or when you've had to learn a new skill etc. In mine I was asked about my approach to essay writing.   1 Answer

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Office for National Statistics.

Interview

Role play, data input on laptop, plotting addresses on a map, then a general interview. Three interviewers were present and the general interview was conducted with another interviewee present which was a bit uncomfortable. The data input was simple but the role play was made deliberately hazardous, which in retrospect was a good idea as the job involves some tenacity in dealing with difficult members of the public. Lasted 2.5 - 3 hours.

Interview Questions

• What are your main weaknesses?   1 Answer

Undergraduate Statistician Interview

Anonymous Employee in Newport, Newport, Wales (UK)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Office for National Statistics (Newport, Newport, Wales (UK)) in November 2011.

Interview

40 minute interview with 2 members of staff. Asked about any projects where I had dealt with large data sets and what I knew about regression. No tour around building which I was hoping for and interview was held in outside cabin.

Negotiation

None