Origin Energy Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jan 9, 2017

2.7

Business Systems Program Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Brisbane (Australia)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Origin Energy (Brisbane (Australia)) in November 2016.

Interview

Applied online with cover letter and resume. Application closed 6 November. Received phone call on 17 November with invitation for an interview (they actually apologised for taking so long! [others took 3 months to reply, if at all]). Interview held the next morning. Confirmation that I was successful at interview that afternoon. 2 references from prior employer completed following Thursday. Verbal offer received that Thursday afternoon. Written offer received Friday afternoon and contract signed online that afternoon. Start date following Tuesday. So whole process took just under 3 weeks.

Interview Questions

• General questions:
      • Why work for Origin?
      • Why did you apply for this job?
      • What are your long term goals?

STAR/behaviour questions:
      Where did you:
      o have to negotiate unpopular decision/convince others?
      o miss a deadline?
      o have to use your charm?
      o have to work with stakeholders in different locations?
      o have to multi task?
      o create a complex spreadsheet?
      Answer Question

Negotiation

Was asked about my salary expectations (which were to high) so in the end gave me pre-defined amount and asked whether that was acceptable to me.

Energy Trading Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in North Sydney (Australia)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Origin Energy (North Sydney (Australia)) in August 2016.

Interview

Was contacted for a phone interview. Passed it. Was invited in Sydney office for a face to face interview. Standard questions on experience, skills, attitude. People on the panel were friendly. Did not get a job, but overall was a good experience. Was asked a lot about my ability to communicate with a team. Emphasis on a company work culture

Technical Support Interview

Anonymous Employee in Brisbane (Australia)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Origin Energy (Brisbane (Australia)) in July 2016.

Interview

Applied directly with Origin
    It took a couple of months before being invited to a formal interview.
    It was a relaxed environment with HR and a member of the team.
    There style of questions were behavioural based and I had to give many examples of previous situations I had been in and how they were planned/resolved.
    It took roughly half an hour and took around 2 weeks before the position was officially offered.

Interview Questions

• Explain a difficult situation and how you dealt with it?   Answer Question

Graduate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Brisbane (Australia)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Origin Energy (Brisbane (Australia)) in June 2016.

Interview

Group work to discuss a scenario then each of us give a presentation of about 2 minutes. Interview with 2 employees afterwards. It was a good and organised interview overall.

Interview Questions

Interview

Good interview but strung out over too long a period and I met too many people - how many need to decide if I'm the right person?? The actual interviews were good and well constructed but in all an overly complex and lengthy process

Interview Questions

• Can you talk me through how you ran that Employee Engagement project? And what specifically were your responsibilities?>   1 Answer

Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Origin Energy.

Interview

Comparing to competitor, the interview process is longer.
    Also not very good at providing updates to candidates.
    Phone interviews for the 1st round then face to face for the 2nd round.
    Standard behavior questions following by some technical questions.

Interview Questions

• Standard behavior questions following by some technical questions.   Answer Question

Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sydney (Australia)

Application

The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Origin Energy (Sydney (Australia)).

Interview

I generally do not comment on organisations with regard to their interview processes. In this instance, however, I feel compelled to share what was the worst experience I have ever endured throughout an interview process.

Having been fortunate to have had a lengthy career in multiple global organisations, Origin Energy has proved to have been the most unethical I have experienced insofar as recruitment is concerned. This company lied frequently throughout the interview process; advertised the position through several external job sites following each of my interviews, all whilst reassuring me I was still firmly under consideration; lied consistently in regard to timelines and expectations; frequently changed course from what was initially said to what actually eventuated and kept me waiting over three months to hear with regard to an outcome. How do I know that these individuals in HR and the hiring manager were lying? Quite simple, really... I liaised with the recruitment agent through whom they had advertised after I had already been to two interviews (and waited over two months at this point) with the organisation. This recruitment agent was candid and stated that they were told by the organisation that all candidates that came through the internal process were unsuitable (of which I was one) and they were now looking for candidates that had strengths in different areas to what was highlighted in the job description. The next time I liaised with the organisation directly, they stated that I was still firmly under consideration and then kept me waiting over two months before scheduling a fourth interview.

If Origin's internal culture is anything like its recruitment practices, then do not apply here. There are more prestigious organisations where you will be taken through a more ethical and regulated recruitment process. I feel embarrassed for all individuals at this organisation who genuinely believed I could not see through to ascertain as to what was really occurring.

Interview Questions

• Vague questions. A few STAR-based questions and very poor communication throughout the process.   Answer Question

Manager Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Origin Energy.

Interview

This was a long process that dragged over many months. Origin Energy is not well organised when it comes to recruitment. It was a haphazard process and Human Resource teams are disjointed between divisions of the company.

Interview Questions

• Lots of STAR questions, mostly on communication, change mgt & influencing ppl.   Answer Question

Safety Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Melbourne (Australia)

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at Origin Energy (Melbourne (Australia)).

Interview

Good recruiter who has subsequently left. Behavioral based interview. Recruitment process can be very slow and drawn out. Generally requires two interviews and potentially psychometric testing.

Human Resources Interview

Anonymous Employee in Brisbane (Australia)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Origin Energy (Brisbane (Australia)) in October 2013.

Interview

A two stage process. The first interview was with the Manager of the role and the HR Recruitment Adviser. The second Interview was a presentation to a panel of three with follow up questions.
    The interviews were well structured and utilized behavioral based questions. The presentation was only 20 minutes and with follow up questions