Origin Energy Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Origin Energy Interview Questions

Updated Oct 8, 2017

2.7

Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Origin Energy.

Interview

Relatively informal. 2 person panel interview. 1 interview.
    Questions varied from personal, technical, leadership and even asking my opinion on matters. Numerous examples of my experience were discussed and probed.
    An interesting number of hypothetical questions were also thrown at me ('What Ifs' and 'How might you'). These were not tokenistic character questions; more like assessing my technical and problem solving aptitude.
    Interview went for approximately 2.5 hrs.

Overall, I'd have to say it was one of the more in-depth and insightful interviews I've had. Felt more conversational in tone. I got to ask lots of questions and learn a lot.

Interview Questions

• How to deal with difficult people. Cite examples.   1 Answer

Graduate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brisbane (Australia)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Origin Energy (Brisbane (Australia)) in August 2017.

Interview

Long process with multiple stages as expected. Phone interview and tests were generally easy but the assessment center was intense. Lots of suited kids and previous graduates smiling through clenched teeth.

Interview Questions

• How would you change the Origin Energy values to better suit your own personal values?

Think of a situation when you have had to negotiate a decision with a team where its members had conflicting views to your own?

Talk about a situation where you have had to change direction on work/projects.

Technical- Seismic section asking about CSG. Question/s were vague, ambiguous and broad. Part geology part geophys. More environmental engineering, impact and prevention questions than geology. Suffered from whitemalesyndrome on the day. Company more concerned about political agenda and public image than technical and personal skills.   Answer Question

Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Melbourne (Australia)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Origin Energy (Melbourne (Australia)) in June 2017.

Interview

Brief phone interview followed by face to face interview by junior people. Typical style of questions and a skills test which I consider lower level than the job offered. Never heard from them again.

Interview Questions

• Questioned my experience on something which I had not represented any knowledge. Was able to talk to it, but I found it odd to be put on the spot for a random, non-relevant topic.   Answer Question

Graduate Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brisbane (Australia)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Origin Energy (Brisbane (Australia)).

Interview

I applied online. The next stage was a video interview recording with three questions. You were able to re-record your answers as many times as you wanted. These were about motivation and they also asked you to describe a project that you enjoyed working on.
    Next was an assessment centre. This included a group exercise where you discussed a problem and you presented as a group. There was also a 20 minute face to face interview with one technical question and a Q and A session.

Interview Questions

• What are origin's and how do they resonate with your own values?   Answer Question

Business Systems Program Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Brisbane (Australia)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Origin Energy (Brisbane (Australia)) in November 2016.

Interview

Applied online with cover letter and resume. Application closed 6 November. Received phone call on 17 November with invitation for an interview (they actually apologised for taking so long! [others took 3 months to reply, if at all]). Interview held the next morning. Confirmation that I was successful at interview that afternoon. 2 references from prior employer completed following Thursday. Verbal offer received that Thursday afternoon. Written offer received Friday afternoon and contract signed online that afternoon. Start date following Tuesday. So whole process took just under 3 weeks.

Interview Questions

• General questions:
      • Why work for Origin?
      • Why did you apply for this job?
      • What are your long term goals?

STAR/behaviour questions:
      Where did you:
      o have to negotiate unpopular decision/convince others?
      o miss a deadline?
      o have to use your charm?
      o have to work with stakeholders in different locations?
      o have to multi task?
      o create a complex spreadsheet?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Was asked about my salary expectations (which were to high) so in the end gave me pre-defined amount and asked whether that was acceptable to me.

Vacation Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Brisbane (Australia)

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Origin Energy (Brisbane (Australia)) in November 2016.

Interview

Submitted application through internet portal. Was called with interview offer. Interview with hiring manager and line manager. The interview discussed the project I would be involved with over the summer and most of the questions related to how my past experience would relate to this project. A number of general STAR questions (difficult team situation, time when you have demonstrated leadership etc.)

Was called and notified of offer. HR was very helpful in organising onboarding.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about yourself...

STAR questions related to resume.   Answer Question

Energy Trading Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in North Sydney (Australia)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Origin Energy (North Sydney (Australia)) in August 2016.

Interview

Was contacted for a phone interview. Passed it. Was invited in Sydney office for a face to face interview. Standard questions on experience, skills, attitude. People on the panel were friendly. Did not get a job, but overall was a good experience. Was asked a lot about my ability to communicate with a team. Emphasis on a company work culture

Technical Support Interview

Anonymous Employee in Brisbane (Australia)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Origin Energy (Brisbane (Australia)) in July 2016.

Interview

Applied directly with Origin
    It took a couple of months before being invited to a formal interview.
    It was a relaxed environment with HR and a member of the team.
    There style of questions were behavioural based and I had to give many examples of previous situations I had been in and how they were planned/resolved.
    It took roughly half an hour and took around 2 weeks before the position was officially offered.

Interview Questions

• Explain a difficult situation and how you dealt with it?   Answer Question

Graduate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Brisbane (Australia)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Origin Energy (Brisbane (Australia)) in June 2016.

Interview

Group work to discuss a scenario then each of us give a presentation of about 2 minutes. Interview with 2 employees afterwards. It was a good and organised interview overall.

Interview Questions

Interview

Good interview but strung out over too long a period and I met too many people - how many need to decide if I'm the right person?? The actual interviews were good and well constructed but in all an overly complex and lengthy process

Interview Questions

• Can you talk me through how you ran that Employee Engagement project? And what specifically were your responsibilities?>   1 Answer