PBS Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Feb 24, 2017

2.5

Janitor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Davenport, IA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at PBS (Davenport, IA).

Interview

Fast easy they made me very comfortable they ask very many questions pretty much longer you have license you will get hired with a clean background interview took no more than 15 to 20 30 minutes

Media Acquisitions Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at PBS (Arlington, VA).

Interview

I had been warned by a friend that currently works here that my potential boss had difficulty keeping people, had fired many and had issues with other females, generally favoring males more. It seemed this was correct and that I had immediately been sized up upon arrival. It was as if she either had a bad day or had predetermined that I wasn't a fit. This is strange because the rest of the company has a large female presence. I most certainly wouldn't want to work on that team, but would definitely consider other teams or positions. The salary associated with this position was inordinately low and wasn't even a livable wage for the area we live in. I believe this position is best suited to a recent college graduate who doesn't know they can and should work for more money.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at PBS.

Interview

Easy interview, fairly unstructured. I was brought into a panel with two people during the first round of interviews. I saw the same two people during the second round. I got the offer in a phone call after that. There were a lot of questions but none were surprising or unexpected.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at PBS (New York, NY) in June 2016.

Interview

Spoke with both the executive producer and CMO. We discussed the advertising space (broadcast and digital). We also discussed my experience in the food and wine category. Based on my past experience at Martha Stewart, Time Inc. Food & Wine's website, this seems to be a great fit.

Interview Questions

• Discussed experience in the space, rolodex, and affinity for food and wine.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Very easy

App Development Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at PBS in April 2016.

Interview

About 1-2 weeks after I applied I got an email to set up a phone interview. They seemed like very nice people. They ended up not filling the position at all due to unknown reasons and encouraged me to re-apply next summer. Overall was still a good experience.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at PBS in April 2016.

Interview

Interview was about previous experience and android fundamentals. Was asked about to describe any technically challenging tasks in previous experience. Later they asked me to provide github link to view my coding skills and projects. Received an offer after that.

Interview Questions

• 1. What are the components of an android application ?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at PBS (Atlanta, GA) in March 2016.

Interview

Sent in my resume and was contacted within a week. Talked to a very kind woman who explained that as an intern one would be working in all parts of broadcasting, getting to experience marketing to hands on camera work.

Interview Questions

• Where are some of your interests in broadcasting?   1 Answer

Management Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at PBS in October 2015.

Interview

I submitted my resume through an employee. It sat for months and then I was called and interviewed. After two phone interviews they hired me immediately. It seems that every process moves very slowly until a deadline and then it moves very fast.

Interview Questions

• They asked about prior experience to ascertain whether I could do the job.   Answer Question

Brand Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at PBS (Washington, DC).

Interview

I applied online to a job I was eminently well qualified for. I don't say that out of ego, but because I could check "yes" to every single one of their "required" and "preferred" qualifications and I also happened to be a huge fan of PBS. So, I was very happy when, 2 weeks later, a recruiter contacted me for my first phone interview. This first phone interview with the recruiter appeared to go very well. She herself gave me positive feedback before we hung up. That same week, she asked my availability for a phone interview with the hiring manager (a director level). The hiring manager, a marketing director, conducted my second phone interview, which also seemed to go very well. She began with the very standard background/'tell me about yourself' questions and then dove right into very specific questions about PBS, its brand positioning and it's current promotional marketing strategies. I'm a lifelong PBS fan, have a good deal of media experience and did my homework on PBS' challenges and opportunities. I was able to answer all of her questions without hesitation and with very specific examples of how I would approach the brand's unique challenges in an ever-changing media landscape. Throughout the interview, the hiring manager told me that my answers were exactly what she was looking for, or "very perceptive", or "insightful" and that I clearly understood the brand. We seemed to get along very well and it appeared that I'd also demonstrated that I was a cultural fit. She informed me that I'd be hearing back on next steps - which would involve on-site interview(s) with her and members of her team. She also assured me that I would hear back from someone at PBS regardless of whether I was moving on to the next step. She told me to expect to hear back within a week. I sent her a brief thank you email with a link to my online portfolio later that day. A week passed and I didn't hear anything. I sent a brief follow up email to her after 10 days. 15 days passed and I still hadn't heard anything, so I sent a brief follow up email to the recruiter who had conducted my first phone interview. That email also remained unanswered. 30 days passed without so much as an automated 'thank you for applying, but we've hired someone else email'. In fact, I never heard a peep from them again. I have no sense of entitlement here. It's fine if they found someone they think was better qualified or who would accept a lower salary. But I'm kind of shocked and a bit disappointed that both a director level in brand marketing and a sr. recruiter don't realize that they are, essentially, the business-to-employee marketing department during the hiring process. They are clearly coasting by on the already stellar brand perception that PBS has and seem to believe that it's perfectly acceptable not to take 30 seconds out of their - no doubt - very busy schedules to send an email to candidates they're not moving ahead with. Sometimes, actions speak louder than words and it appears that PBS's HR and marketing teams are disorganized and inconsiderate. Shame that such a great brand is being represented with such ineptitude.

Interview Questions

• What do you think are PBS's strengths and weaknesses as a brand?   Answer Question
    • What do you think are the current perceptions of the PBS brand? Do you think they're accurate?   Answer Question
    • What would you say is PBS's value to sponsors? What is its value to audiences?   Answer Question
    • Give me an example of a way you rallied a large cross-functional team with diverse interests behind a single vision or concept.   Answer Question

Video Editor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at PBS (Arlington, VA) in May 2015.

Interview

Sent in my resume and they took about 3 months to contact me. I first had a phone interview went well. Then it took about a month or so for then to setup a 1:1 with a couple of interviewers. Then another week for another 1:1. Then a few days later a another 1:1 and interview with HR. So I have went thru several rounds of meeting, it is a corporate company. The people where a pleasure to speak with, really wanting to know who you are as much as what you can bring to the table.They gave me a good over of who they where looking for.They all seem to be a team players. Now the working environment standard corporate style yet cool and fun in places.