PETA Interview Questions | Glassdoor

PETA Interview Questions

Updated Aug 14, 2017

Researcher Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at PETA in August 2017.

Interview

After applying, I was promptly contacted by a very nice PETA HR Manager. I had a great feeling at that point and radiated gratitude for the consideration of such an important job. He scheduled a "chat" via Skype. I set up Skype on my computer, and called the customer service number on Google to resolve an issue with my camera. The number was a scam and I lost $500. I chose not to mention it as it wasn't PETA's fault, but beware of this fake customer service number, and perhaps PETA could offer FaceTime as an alternative so people need not install Skype for one chat. Make it convenient for the interviewee. I then began reading the many Glassdoor reviews about working at PETA, and I learned that PETA seems to overwork and underpay their employees, as well as perhaps a little bullying or unfair pressure (one reviewer in this section is called "disgruntled" for having reported veterinary malpractice she witnessed on an interview). It does seem that you are expected to sacrifice your own self-care to an extent, which counters the way I think. I believe you must fill up your own cup and take care of yourself before you can effectively and continuously help others; and it is true what one of the other reviewers says: if you pay your employees fairly, you'll retain them better and develop a deeper body of expertise. If you don't overwork your employees, they will be healthier, happier, and actually make a bigger impact because they will be rested and their stress levels under control. I don't agree with the way PETA seems to prioritize animals over the well being of their dedicated, hard-working employees who make the whole thing possible to begin with. They should be equally important, and PETA should only take on projects and programs it can truly afford to run, not at the expense of their employees, who are also sentient beings. It's a shame that an intelligent, passionate, dedicated animal rights lover like me can't work for the cause that I want to because I sometimes have bouts with depression and cannot thrive in an overworked, underpaid, high-stress atmosphere. All you hear about is Equal Employment Opportunity, but I do feel I was judged for being honest that I have suffered from depression before and need a legitimate work/life balance in my career. The interviewer was nice enough, or at least fake nice enough, but didn't even mention ANYTHING about the actual position (!) and he also made it seem like I was taking up too much of his time by being thorough and asking questions. I knew immediately that I was not interested in the job and that my inquiry about work/life balance was a deal-breaker since PETA apparently does not give their employees a legitimate work/life balance, but I am still disappointed that I never even heard a notification or anything from PETA that I wouldn't move on to the next round. Overall, I'd say great mission and great work that they do, I'll happily support it, but it seems the leadership doesn't give a rip about their employees and any kind of fair compensation or work/life balance, which is crucial to getting the job done the right way in my opinion. Beware of nonprofits that take advantage of a heart passionate for a cause -- you may very well be the only one watching out for your own well-being in attempts to save money or accomplish more than what is fair to ask of employees. Also, if you're applying to PETA from out of state, understand that you will be paying your own way to the coastal interview and likely will be asked to do a "volunteer" working interview for up to a week. Help animals, absolutely!! But do not allow yourself to be taken advantage of in the favor of another, ever. You can take care of you and help animals, don't let anyone make you feel you need to sacrifice yourself for a cause that makes your heart sing. Bottom line advice for PETA: at a minimum, raise your wages to ones which people can actually live on in the cities you are stationed in. Don't cry budget constraints when y'all have fancy offices on beaches.

Interview Questions

• Why are you interested in PETA? What is one thing you are proud of at your last position? How do you manage stress?   Answer Question

Veterinary Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Norfolk, VA

Application

I interviewed at PETA (Norfolk, VA) in June 2017.

Interview

I was interviewed for the spay and neuter clinic. I declined the job due to many wrong things. The people were nice amd welcoming but weren't practicing medicine right. I watched the vet tech intubate mulitple dogs for the procedure and not once supported the neck, head was everywhere when being flipped to shave and when she carried tp the sx table. I also witnessed this same tech hit 3 dogs head on the wall while getting them onto the sx table (while intubated), tech also doesnt know what a "sterile field" is and continously touched the poly drape while sx was being performed . Same tech decided to clean dogs ears with alcohol. Once they got going with sx vet asst. Would place them in kennel to be extubated. Asst. Would walk away once in kennel (still intubated) and not pay any attention to the pets (would have mulitple pets still intubated in kennels). I witnessed 2 of those pets swinging their heads around with tube still in place and asst. or tech not noticing. Also their "check in" person decided she wanted to play the role of the asst. and extubated a dog while trach tube was completely infated. I understand the are low income but just because your a low income clinic doesnt mean lower the quality of medicine.

Interview Questions

• No questions besides years of experience   1 Answer

PETA Response

Jun 27, 2017 – HR Representative

I sincerely regret that the interviewee above did not bring these issues up during the interview; most of them could have easily been clarified at that moment. We run four mobile high quality/high... More

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Norfolk, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at PETA (Norfolk, VA) in May 2017.

Interview

It consisted of a couple questions over the phone. she asked me alot of questions it took approximatley 15 minutes. I Tried to be as thorough and truthful with the questions as possible but they were very difficult and I diddnt want to take a long time to answer them.

Database Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Norfolk, VA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at PETA (Norfolk, VA) in April 2017.

Interview

Pretty typical to start; apply on glass door with your resume and cover letter, and then they will email to set up a phone interview. After that, they typically offer a one to two day working interview, which includes some writing samples regarding PETA's mission and marketing. Then you get to meet your department and do a few example tasks for them. I felt it gave a really good picture of what the day to day is like.

Interview Questions

• In the written portion, they showed some markwting materials that put suffering animals beside holocaust victims, amd we were asked to respond to a donor who found it offensive.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Norfolk, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at PETA (Norfolk, VA) in February 2017.

Interview

I applied for the Evidence Analyst position with PETA. After about a week, I received an invitation to do a phone screen for the position where I could talk to the department head about the job. After our hour long conversation, where I explained my educational background and job experience, I was invited to come to Norfolk for a "working interview" for an entire week. I was told that transportation would not be paid for by PETA, but that PETA would take care of my housing and lunches every day. I was told I would stay at a hotel near the building because the guest house was full that week. The phone screen left me with the impression that I was fit enough for the job to be invited out for a working interview. I had informed the department head that I would have to take off work for a week and buy a plane ticket, and that I would need a couple weeks to prepare. I bought my ticket and went to Norfolk a few weeks later for the interview. During the first day, the HR manager gave me an hour long writing assignment in which I was to complete three writing prompts. This was all handwritten. After completing the task and answering her questions, I was taken to the Cruelty Investigations department to be introduced. I was given a desk for the week and my first writing assignment. During the week I completed a total of 11 writing assignments ranging from legal research to drafting letters. After the week was over, I was told that I would hear back in about another week because the department head was "out of town."

A week later, and I didn't hear anything. Two weeks after my interview on a Sunday, I received a form rejection from a no reply email address. I asked my contact why I was passed up for the position and his reasoning was that I didn't have enough experience for the job. I was furious about this response because I had informed them on countless occasions what my job experience was. In fact, I not only met but I exceeded the qualifications for the position, so this excuse did not make sense. I even told my contact during the phone screening that I was concerned about my experience being an issue, and he responded that it was not a problem. I can't believe I spent my savings and time off work for a whole week only to be rejected about something that should have been noted when I submitted my resume.

I will always support PETAs work and firmly believe in their mission, but the way they treat interviewees is cold and distasteful. If you're planning on applying for a job, be warned that you may have to shell out a lot of your personal funds for nothing.

If experience was the concern, I should have never been invited to interview.

Interview Questions

• In this job you will be required to watch video and audio footage of animals being abused, beaten, and killed. Do you feel that you could handle this type of work on a daily basis?   Answer Question

Evidence Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at PETA.

Interview

I applied online and received an email with an additional 10 questions the next day. I answered the questions and got them back within a day. I then received an email setting up a time to talk on the phone. In addition to the 10 questions I had answered I had also answered questions in my initial application. The phone call was less like an interview and more like what to expect from the position. I was told I would be sent a sample assignment and the next step would be a week long working interview in Norfolk, VA. By this point I felt that I was likely to at least get to the working interview. I sent in the sample assignment and then heard nothing for a few days. I finally received a form rejection email. It was disheartening to receive such an impersonal rejection after having gone through so much.

Interview Questions

• This was one of the questions I received in an email: Please explain why working for PETA would be more than “just a job” and how this would affect the work effort you would provide.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Norfolk, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at PETA (Norfolk, VA) in December 2016.

Interview

I sent my resume and was emailed a list of 11 questions pertaining to my previous research experience, experience as an animal advocate. I used 15 pages to answer the questions.

I completed a phone interview. I was asked to elaborate on the responses I sent and was given more detail about the job duties. I was asked to come to Norfolk for 5 days for an in-person interview as a "working volunteer". I was connected with someone from Human Resources who arranged for me to have housing at the PETA guest house. I was asked to provide them with my official driving history from DMV. I completed another online application that asked me to detail my work and research history, which I had already done twice before in the first online application and in the essay questions.

I was told that the first thing I would do was to complete a writing sample and be interviewed by Human Resources. I was told that because I had my own car, that they would not provide me with transportation between the office and guest house each day. I was told that there would only be one of their female in the guest house while I was there. I was not told where I would need to go when I first arrived at PETA, but was fortunate to meet an employee who was also staying at guest house who walked with me to the office and showed me where to go.

I arrived at the guest house on Sunday to find that not only was there a man staying in the house, but there were also several other women who had been living there for several months. None of the bedroom doors had locks on them either. On Monday, I arrived early to the PETA office and was shown into a small office. I was given 1 hour to complete 3 writing samples, which I did. I was then brought directly to the Cruelty Investigstions Department. Over the next two days, I completed six assignments related to either research or transcription. On the second day, I was asked to go outside with other staff to help bag straw. On the third day, I was sent out to help deliver straw and doghouses. I worked 10.5 hours that day.

On the fourth day, I was asked to help with other research. I thought everything was going very well with the interview and stopped by a vegan bakery so I could bring holiday cookies to the staff I met that week. I was told that they ran out of things for me to do and that I completed the required 6 assignments faster than any applicant had completed them. Because I was concerned that I might have not gone into enough detail on some of the assignment, I asked whether the work I did was insufficient in any way and was told that it was all well done and complete. At this point, I was told that I could go home a day early and that this would not reflect negatively on me in way. I was told that I would receive a call on either Tuesday or Wednesday of the following week.

Later that night, an employee invited me to him and another employee a social even/fundraiser hosted by PETA. I wanted to make a good impression, so I went with them. I'm glad I did this because this was the only chance I had to meet the head of the Cruelty Investigations Department. She never made any effort to speak with me during the time I was in the office. I greeted her and thanked her for the opportunity and for having me in the office all week. Before I left the event that night, I made a specific point of saying goodbye to her and reiterating my appreciation.

By the following Wednesday afternoon, I had not heard anything and decided to send a follow-up email to my contact at PETA who supervised the work I did during the interview. I thanked him for having me in the office and for the opportunity to see all that PETA does. I received a response right away from him saying that I would hear from PETA the following day (Thursday). Within 1 hour of receiving that response, I received a form rejection letter form a no-reply email address at PETA stating that after examining my qualifications that they could not offer me a position at this time. I emailed my contact again to ask for feedback and was told that there was a lot of competition for the position and that they wanted to move forward with candidates whose experience better matched the position. I responded the next morning to say that although I respected their decision, that I felt they should reconsider. I have received no response at this point. After speaking to a PETA employee that I made during the course of my interview, that person was completely shocked that I was not given an offer.

I checked with the four people I provided as references. Not a single one of them was ever contacted by PETA. At no point during the course of the week I spent at PETA was I introduced to or interviewed by anybody from Human Resources.

Interview Questions

• Please detail your research experience.   1 Answer

Coordinator Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at PETA.

Interview

Super easy and simple. A phone interview followed by a "work day" interview at the office you are applying to. If you know or care about animal rights at all you will get an offer. It's almost too easy.

Be wary of any promises they make during the interview process ie salary is flexible as it was not a reality when it came to the offer.

Interview Questions

• What is your stance on euthanasia?   1 Answer

Corporate Liaison Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at PETA (Los Angeles, CA).

Interview

first it was via e-mail. I wrote short essay answers to questions that were on topics I would have worked on. Then I did a two-day working interview. That was intense and unpaid for but also gave a feel for the organization to better inform my decision as well.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I am still unsure how much wiggle room there might be but they seem to start at a fairly low salary.

Human Resources Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at PETA (Los Angeles, CA) in July 2016.

Interview

There was a lengthy application to really access applicants and I think it's effective in discouraging people who wouldn't be a good fit. I completed a few sample projects and had Skype call ahead of my in office, one-day, volunteer working interview. The working interview included a writing sample and more sample projects with my department.

Interview Questions

• How do I feel about PETA and PETA's stance on various things, such as euthanasia and tactics.   Answer Question