PETA Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

4.6
Ingrid E. Newkirk

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • If your passion is animal rights and welfare, this is the place to be (in 36 reviews)

• You will go home each night knowing you are making a difference in the world (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • The pay is low, but that's to be expected (in 9 reviews)

• In fact they are supporting a bunch of vegan hippies use women as sex objects and degrade the work of animal rights (in 13 reviews)

1. "Perfect gig for dream job status"

Current Employee - Online News Content Writer
    Current Employee - Online News Content Writer

I have been working at PETA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I work remotely, which is a huge pro. Given that I'm not in an office, it's also great to work with a knowledgeable and supportive team that's always available. My work feels valued by by colleagues. I love that in my own way, everything I do for a living helps save real lives. Working in animal rights activism is immeasurably rewarding.

Cons

It's easy to get wrapped up in work.

2. "Why I love PETA"

I have been working at PETA full-time

Pros

fulfilling, great co-workers, great atmosphere, office dogs, vegan food

Cons

living in LA makes the pay look low.

Advice to Management

Pay according to living wages

"How did I get so lucky?"

Current Employee - Research Associate in Knoxville, TN
    Current Employee - Research Associate in Knoxville, TN

I have been working at PETA full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

PETA is an amazing organization and I wish more people knew about all the work PETA does for animals behind the scenes. I constantly wonder what I could possibly do after this that would be as fulfilling. I hope I don't have to think too hard because I'd like to stay with PETA for a very long time. One of the best parts of my job, besides knowing what I do every day directly benefits animals, and besides my incredible colleagues , is that I am able to work from home. I repeat... How did I get so lucky?

Cons

Not a place for people who aren't passionate about animal rights. If you are, you'll be right at home. If you aren't, well this job just might change you anyway.

Advice to Management

Keep up the fantastic work!

"Great working environment, with the usual nonprofit downside (salary)"

I worked at PETA full-time

Pros

Big fan of their mission and commitment to principled actions. Great positive attitude and collaborative sprit among employees

Cons

Low pay made it difficult for me to stay long-term.

"Very rewarding work"

Current Employee - Senior Applications Developer in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Applications Developer in Richmond, VA

I have been working at PETA full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

It's a privilege to work with some very creative artists/web designers as well as very knowledgeable programmers and support personnel. Everyone from the CEO down feel like family. As of 2017, I have been with PETA for 6 years and I hope to be here for much longer than that in the future.

Cons

I can't think of any.

"Campaigner position at PETA is great for dedicated activists"

Current Employee - Campaigner in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Campaigner in Nashville, TN

I have been working at PETA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

So many great things about this position! If you love travel, eating vegan food, and working hard to advance animal rights, then this position is perfect for you! Being a campaigner is a lot of hard work for animals, but extremely rewarding. You get to travel around the country meeting other dedicated activists, planning and executing exciting demonstrations to advance animal rights, and eating at the best vegan restaurants in every city (with meals compensated). It is a very fulfilling job, and there's never a dull moment!

Cons

If you don't love to travel, this position is not for you. We travel for about a week or two per month. It's very exciting! But if you are not someone who's comfortable often sleeping in hotel rooms away from your home, consider a different position. There are many other positions at PETA which don't require travel. =) The other thing is that everyone at PETA works hard every day for animals. If you're not willing to dedicate yourself to this most important cause by working hard (and sometimes long hours), then perhaps this is not the job for you.

PETA Response

May 13, 2017 – HR Representative

Thank you for this feedback. As you mention, Campaigner roles are definitely not for everyone. Like you noted, there's a lot of traveling involved and new plans come up sometimes with very short... More

"The best place to work ever."

I have been working at PETA full-time

Pros

PETA is full of kind and helpful people who care deeply for animals and their welfare. The people that work here are the most friendly, helpful, determined group of individuals you will ever come across. Its doing passionate work in a fun and encouraging environment. PETA offers great hours, great benefits and sick and holiday leave. A job with PETA will have you waking up everyday excited to go to work and make a difference!!!

Cons

You may get a little distracted by all the cute animals that keep you company in the office.

Advice to Management

The most helpful and encouraging people. I truly believe due to the management I have had during my time here i am a better employee and learned so much, They always are there to lend a hand or show you new information.

"Outstanding work for animal rights."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Norfolk, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Norfolk, VA

I have been working at PETA full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

PETA gets the job done. If your passion is animal rights and welfare, this is the place to be. I am a 6 year plus employee and have no intention of ever leaving. There is opportunity for growth and cross-training throughout the org. I highly recommend working for PETA if you are interested in making a difference, not just going to a job every day and the only return is that you have a job. This is not just a job, it is a lifestyle of caring, commitment and excellence for the betterment of animals everywhere.

Cons

There is so much work to be done there should be more days in a week.

"The best job I've ever had!"

Current Employee - Youth Campaigns Correspondent in Bristow, VA
    Current Employee - Youth Campaigns Correspondent in Bristow, VA

I have been working at PETA full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Amazingly supportive team, helping animals, great management, caring environment, working from home, fun job

Cons

The pay is low, but that's to be expected! It can be difficult to see animal cruelty reports, but it's nice to know that we're able to help. The pros DEFINITELY outweigh the cons!

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work! :)

"Great place to work with other dedicated people"

I have been working at PETA full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Getting so much accomplished so quickly, true PETA speed. We have a great holiday and time off schedule. I enjoy working with so many like minded people that have the same passion I do.

Cons

There's not enough time to get all our important work done.