PETA Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

4.5
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Ingrid E. Newkirk

Pros
  • If your passion is animal rights and welfare, this is the place to be (in 36 reviews)

• You will go home each night knowing you are making a difference in the world (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • The pay is low, but that's to be expected (in 9 reviews)

• In fact they are supporting a bunch of vegan hippies use women as sex objects and degrade the work of animal rights (in 12 reviews)

"Very rewarding work"

Current Employee - Senior Applications Developer in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Applications Developer in Richmond, VA

I have been working at PETA full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

It's a privilege to work with some very creative artists/web designers as well as very knowledgeable programmers and support personnel. Everyone from the CEO down feel like family. As of 2017, I have been with PETA for 6 years and I hope to be here for much longer than that in the future.

Cons

I can't think of any.

"Campaigner position at PETA is great for dedicated activists"

Current Employee - Campaigner in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Campaigner in Nashville, TN

I have been working at PETA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

So many great things about this position! If you love travel, eating vegan food, and working hard to advance animal rights, then this position is perfect for you! Being a campaigner is a lot of hard work for animals, but extremely rewarding. You get to travel around the country meeting other dedicated activists, planning and executing exciting demonstrations to advance animal rights, and eating at the best vegan restaurants in every city (with meals compensated). It is a very fulfilling job, and there's never a dull moment!

Cons

If you don't love to travel, this position is not for you. We travel for about a week or two per month. It's very exciting! But if you are not someone who's comfortable often sleeping in hotel rooms away from your home, consider a different position. There are many other positions at PETA which don't require travel. =) The other thing is that everyone at PETA works hard every day for animals. If you're not willing to dedicate yourself to this most important cause by working hard (and sometimes long hours), then perhaps this is not the job for you.

PETA Response

May 13, 2017 – HR Representative

Thank you for this feedback. As you mention, Campaigner roles are definitely not for everyone. Like you noted, there's a lot of traveling involved and new plans come up sometimes with very short ... More

"Outstanding work for animal rights."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Norfolk, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Norfolk, VA

I have been working at PETA full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

PETA gets the job done. If your passion is animal rights and welfare, this is the place to be. I am a 6 year plus employee and have no intention of ever leaving. There is opportunity for growth and cross-training throughout the org. I highly recommend working for PETA if you are interested in making a difference, not just going to a job every day and the only return is that you have a job. This is not just a job, it is a lifestyle of caring, commitment and excellence for the betterment of animals everywhere.

Cons

There is so much work to be done there should be more days in a week.

"The best job I've ever had!"

Current Employee - Youth Campaigns Correspondent in Bristow, VA
    Current Employee - Youth Campaigns Correspondent in Bristow, VA

I have been working at PETA full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Amazingly supportive team, helping animals, great management, caring environment, working from home, fun job

Cons

The pay is low, but that's to be expected! It can be difficult to see animal cruelty reports, but it's nice to know that we're able to help. The pros DEFINITELY outweigh the cons!

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work! :)

"Wonderful place to work with wonderful people!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at PETA full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Working at PETA has been a life-changing experience. To be able to come to work everyday and working alongside people who share your beliefs and compassion towards animals is a huge blessing. Everyone is extremely welcoming, caring, dedicated, and hard working. It is a fast paced environment but it is unbelievably rewarding in every way. I highly recommend a career with PETA, and am very lucky to be a part of the organization!

Cons

There are truly no cons that come to mind.

"PETA Latino Online Marketing Manager"

Current Employee - PETA Latino Online Marketing Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - PETA Latino Online Marketing Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at PETA full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working at PETA will always be more than a job. You come in every single day, knowing you are changing the hearts and minds of countless people, and helping animals. You work with the most caring of people, and there is something to be said about that. You're making a difference, which makes a difference in you. If you have ever looked for a job with a purpose, this would be it.

Cons

You never get enough done, and you will always want to do more. Because of the nature of our work, there is always more good to be done... And you feel that. Every single day. You just feel the need to do and want more. But for me, for example, that's what drives me.

Advice to Management

Keep being amazing. Continue to change the world. You are all doing a wonderful job, and I appreciate all you do for the teams, and for animals. You're my heroes. <3

"I'm So Happy I Moved into a Career Path at PETA"

Current Employee - Marketing in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at PETA full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I've been at PETA for 3 years and I love it. It's like a big family here in the Los Angeles office and everyone is friends, goes to events together, grabs lunch together, etc. There is always something exciting going on either in the office like when celebs or guests stop by for interviews or office tours, when occasionally you find free vegan donuts in the kitchen, or at a weekend event such as the adorable chicken adoptions. When I moved to LA, I didn't know anyone so I am grateful to gain a bunch of like-minded friends I can hang out with after the work day ends too, who are also so dedicated to helping animals.

The workday differs widely between positions, but no whether your wearing a cow costume for a protest or a video shoot, creating content for PETA's website and social media pages, or something totally different, you're going to learn a lot and you're going to gain an even stronger foundation of what happens to animals in all sorts of industries. And, the best part is knowing you are saving animals' lives every single day.

Cons

The office dogs are so cute it hurts.

Advice to Management

Keep it up! PETA reaches more and more people every year and it's because PETA has management staff who help everyone stay innovative and ahead of the curve in every area.

"Great work environment"

Current Employee - Marketing in Virginia Beach, VA
    Current Employee - Marketing in Virginia Beach, VA

I have been working at PETA full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Positive and fun work environment where everyone is working towards a common goal.
    Lots of volunteer opportunities to help animals and socialize with coworkers outside of work.
    Employees are frequently given recognition for their hard work.

Cons

The only con for me is that PETA is misunderstood by some, so telling people I work at PETA isn't always the most lighthearted conversation.

"Fun, Challenging, and Rewarding"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at PETA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Every day I come to work knowing that anything I do will directly benefit those who need me the most–the animals. I feel challenged in my position in marketing; we're constantly keeping up with trends, experimenting with new tech, and trying to set the bar for nonprofits.

Cons

At first, it can be challenging to balance the emotional toll of working against animal abusers, but soon it just drives you to work harder!

"You would think they cared about people as much as they do animals."

Former Employee - Membership Services Representative in Norfolk, VA
    Former Employee - Membership Services Representative in Norfolk, VA

I worked at PETA full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

there are kitties in the office

Cons

I had the 'pleasure' of working for PETA for not even two weeks in the Membership Services department. I was a data entry worker, and anyone who knows me knows that I love computers and I love codes and keying and figuring things out. It was the perfect job for me, and it was a life saver for me and my boyfriend as we are currently trying to wiggle ourselves out of debt. On my first day they buddied my up with a woman in my department, she was kind, seemingly and close to my age (20s) and all was well. I was training and I got nothing but wonderful feedback from my manager and co workers that I have shown amazing initiative and was catching on super fast. I had expressed interest in what the other departments did, and what all was going on in the company, I just wanted to get a feel for the organization that i was so strongly advocating. Yesterday (Thursday March 23rd) I was working diligently and it was about 4:30 (i got off at 6, my boyfriend and I live together, and we carpool to and from work, because we worked the same schedule and it worked out wonderfully because I do not have a car) I was called down to the office downstairs in HR and was told that they were informed that i was "unfulfilled" in my position and they believed that I chose the wrong job. I explained over and over to everyone I could that I LOVED my job, and I came home every day wanting to go back the next day and they literally told me "I just don't think thats true we don't want to waste our time training you anymore" and told me I had to leave immediately. It was 40 degrees in downtown Norfolk and I had to walk around Ghent until I could get my boyfriend on the phone to leave work early and come and get me. For an organisation that loves animals so much, I would think they would care about people too. I was wrong.