Penguin Random House Interview Questions | Glassdoor

2.8

Sort:

Assistant Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Penguin Random House (New York, NY) in February 2015.

Interview

I had a phone call with the HR person, and then went in to meet the person I would be reporting to. She gave me a writing assignment for a title. Then I met with some more senior people at a second interview. Overall, it took about three weeks. Even though some imprints can be casual, make sure to dress sharply, have a notebook, and come prepared with questions of your own.

Interview Questions

• Honestly, it was the standard stuff. Just be personable and knowledgable about the imprint.   Answer Question

Associate Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Penguin Random House (New York, NY) in January 2017.

Interview

HR reached out to me as I'd interviewed before, and I interviewed with the hiring managers the next day. It went well and I was asked to complete an assignment.

Associate Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Penguin Random House (New York, NY) in August 2016.

Interview

My interview consisted of four steps - a phone screening, two separate interviews with the manager and assistant manager of digital, and a third interview with the head of Young Adult books. The interviews were enjoyable and conversational, as we talked about our favorite books and what drew me to this particular area of publishing. The fourth step in the process was submitting an assignment, which I did promptly.

After that, I didn't hear anything. My assignment was an online article, which I could track activity on, and I saw that it was never opened after I submitted. A week later I followed up with HR, and was told the position had been filled.

Overall, the experience was positive, but knowing that the work I was asked to submit was not even reviewed really soured the entire process for me.

Interview Questions

• What is it about this area of publishing (Young Adult, in this case) that appeals to you?   Answer Question

Art Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Penguin Random House (New York, NY) in February 2011.

Interview

I had two interviews. The first one was with the hiring manager and future boss. The second interview was with the rest of the art department. I met the other art directors I found out that if I got the job I would have an office

Negotiation

There was not negotiation that I can remember.

Art Director Interview

Interview

The interview took place on time and was in a comfortable setting. the offices are nice and the people will speak with you. The overall interview process was not bad. In the end, I was pleased with the informative interview process.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Penguin Random House (New York, NY) in January 2018.

Interview

I interviewed for Penguin Random House for an assistant position. The recruiter and hiring managers were friendly, informative, and made me feel like they truly wanted me to interview for them.

Interview Questions

• What would you do if you clashed with a colleague or superior?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 7 weeks. I interviewed at Penguin Random House (New York, NY).

Interview

Overall, everyone was very nice, respectful of my time when I was going in for my in-person interviews, and took their time getting to know me and asking about my qualifications. I would say communication was going well until the very end when I received an automated message saying that the position was filled. I felt that after such a personal and professional process, that it was very impersonal ending when I knew I was a finalist. Not sure if Penguin is allowed to give feedback on interviews but no one seemed comfortable to say much, which is fine, but I think it's okay to also say that it is policy not to give feedback/they aren't comfortable doing so.

Spoke with seven different people during my process that lasted more than a month. Felt the process took too much time.

Interview Questions

• Why PRH? Why this position? Where do you see yourself in 5 years? What are you reading now? Tell us about something that went wrong and how you fixed it. No curveballs.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Penguin Random House (New York, NY).

Interview

Unscheduled phone screening with HR about a week after I submitted my resume through Media Bistro. Then I was called in for an interview with the hiring manager and then called in again to meet the rest of his team. Straightforward experience

Interview Questions

• Why are you interested in publishing? What are you reading right now?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Penguin Random House (New York, NY) in February 2015.

Interview

Interview felt like a head game. Little transparency, and unclear about expectations. Interview process took about two weeks.This included phone call screening, had two interviews, and then hired. Mostly open ended questions during interview.

Internship Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Penguin Random House (New York, NY) in August 2017.

Interview

I applied to Penguin Random House three months before I actually received a call from them. The entire process took around a week and a half. When they called it was a sudden phone interview with a HR employee. I received a call four days later to schedule an interview which was two days later. Four days after the interview I received an email with my offer letter and other important documents! It is safe to say that the phone interview was the most important part, and the in person interview was more of an information session about the company and position. It also gives them a way to get to know you! It was very laid back and no tough questions were asked.