Perry Homes Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Perry Homes Interview Questions

Interviews at Perry Homes

Agent Interview

Interview

Initial phone interview. Then they bring you in for an in person interview. It began with basic questions from an HR manager who goes over your answers to the phone questions. Then there is a personality assessment along with an excel assessment. Finally, you meet with the managers of the department who also interview you in an interrogation like setting. The entire time they are looking down and not looking at you as if to intimidate you. I did not get an offer but did not care for an offer after the interview. Did not even get a courteous email back stating that I didn’t get the position, just never heard back.

Construction Estimator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Perry Homes (Houston, TX) in July 2015.

Interview

Phone interview with basic questions. Received a call 2 days later to set up an hour interview at their corporate office, Met with Sandy in HR for interview. She was extremely nice and easy to talk to which made me less nervous. The actual interview was an hour long and consisted of her going over the answers I gave during the phone interview and 2-3 additional questions. She was pleased with my answers and informed me that she was passing me on to interview with the supervisors. She asked if I minded interviewing with them immediately to which I agreed (big mistake). She returned to tell me that they were in a meeting and asked if I minded taking the Wonderlic Test since I would have to at some point in the interview process so I agreed. Once I finished she told me the supervisors were just ending their meeting and wanted to meet with me. Waited in their meeting room for 20 minutes before the 2 supervisors arrived. I was interviewed by only 1 of the supervisors who asked more technical questions pertaining to my education and background. Interview went fairly well except for two of the questions which were (1) Why Perry Homes? I answered with general praising of Perry Homes accomplishments as well as a personal connection's positive experience as an employee. Supervisor responds with "But why Perry Homes?" To which I respond with "I'm a recent college grad looking to start a career in a company with room for professional growth. This company's outstanding reputation with clients as well as personal knowledge of an employee's positive experience within the workplace makes Perry Homes an ideal place to achieve my career goals as well as take pride in the work I'd be doing." Again supervisor responds with "...But why Perry Homes". ( **NOTE: I have a degree in Mathematics with a minor in economics applying for the Construction Estimator position for which no prior experience as a Construction Estimator would be needed as they would provide training) At this point I don't remember exactly what I said because all I was thinking was "I literally just told you why I wanted to work for Perry Homes. I guess my answers may have sounded somewhat generic but those are my reasons and asking me the same question does not change the reasons I just gave you) Needless to say I feel like the supervisor was not satisfied with my answer. (2) Why do I want the Construction Estimator position? My answer was to the effect of that I'm a very analytical person that loves working with and manipulating numbers. From a young age I've been around the home construction business and held summer jobs as a construction worker as well as an administrative position for a construction company. The Construction Estimator position works with numbers daily in a field of work I have familiarity with and I have no doubt that I would enjoy and take pride in the work I'd be doing at this position. Supervisor responds with "But why?" again to which I try to provide a more in depth answer and he asks "but why?" again. At this point I was slightly frustrated because I had given a truthful and detailed answer. I stumbled in providing a more detailed answer without repeating exactly what I had already said. I am a recent college grad with a degree in math, I literally love working with numbers that's what I do, that's what I'm good at, it's not like I can say "oh I've always wanted to be a construction estimator ever since I was a kid", I came across the position online, looked up what a construction estimator's roles and responsibilities were and thought hey not only would I be good at this but I'd enjoy what I'd be doing. The manner in which the supervisor would say "But why" conveyed this "I'm not satisfied with your answer, give me the correct answer". I feel like these two questions were the only negative during my interview however I still don't know how I could have given a better answer. The supervisor's statements that I was overqualified for the position makes me think these two questions were the reason I was not offered the position. 3 hours later I was done with my 1 hour interview and 1 week later I received an e-mail to inform me that I was not what they were looking for.

Interview Questions

• Come up with good answers for these questions (explained in interview process section)
      why Perry Homes?
      why this position?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Perry Homes (Houston, TX) in February 2013.

Interview

Long (30 day+) process. Starts with phone interview, then in-person with a recruiter. That interview is about an hour long and nothing noteworthy about it. The 6 hour off-site psychological interview with 4 of those hours doing testing. Then interview with Division head. Then 30 minute interview with Director.

Interview Questions

• None, they follow a standard script   2 Answers

Negotiation

None. Flat pay rate, no PTO for a year, benefits were ok.

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Perry Homes.

Interview

After you get past the initial interview you have to go to Houston to do some extensive testing. At the end of all of it a shrink will review the results with you and tell you if you are a good fit. It feels like you are trying to join the CIA.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

They have a set pay scale.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Perry Homes (Houston, TX) in October 2014.

Interview

took 5 minutes. the lady was very kind asked detailed questions about the projects I had before and also asked what I like in residential construction. she read every line of my resume and asked questions about each. She asked me about my people management skills and pas experiences in managing people. That is what they were looking for.

Construction Manager Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Perry Homes.

Interview

The process took forever and was a complete waste of time. Interview, then a personality test lasting about 6 hours and another interview on spot after testing. Another interview follows with the area project manager.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Perry Homes (Houston, TX) in January 2014.

Interview

Initial face to face interview to determine if you're presentable and articulate, 5 minutes. Second interview is a 2 person standard Q&A. A little advice, know your resume answer questions according to your resume and elaborate your answers with real scenario examples.

Interview Questions

• How would you determine if a subcontractor was qualified for the job?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Perry Homes (Houston, TX).

Interview

Applied online, had the phone interview the same day, the next day i went to their corporate office in Houston for an interview with a recruiter. very standard interview, i did a ridiculous 6 hour "personality" assessment and then went over the results with a shrink who gave me good feedback. I then met with the division president and manager again very standard interview. overall it was a huge waste of my time and money having to drive so far for the interviews and assessment.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Perry Homes (Houston, TX) in February 2014.

Interview

Initially called for an interview 11/2014, and interviewed at south Houston office (corporate). The interview was very basic and amiable. Seems they are looking for 'robots' not thinkers. Pay offered was $5000/month plus $450 for your truck, you still need to have or purchase a less than four year old truck/suv.

Interview Questions

• What was your most difficult problem? (???i'm here to solve problems...)   Answer Question

OUTSIDE SALES Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Perry Homes (Houston, TX) in January 2013.

Interview

Employee referral: 1. Phone interview, 2. Panel interview with HR, 3. Final interview with Division VP.

Took 4 months total from start to finish. Lack of communication from HR, lots of confusion about start dates, salary was verbally approved, then upon signing new employee documents, the salary was reduced.