Pet Supermarket Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Oct 6, 2017

1.9

Manager-In-Training Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Delray Beach, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Pet Supermarket (Delray Beach, FL) in October 2017.

Interview

I had been going to the location often as a customer, when I asked an employee if they happened to be hiring, the manager said to me in a low voice "PLEASE APPLY"

HOWEVER, I made it very clear on my application and to the manager that I had a college degree and a lot of background in pet/animal care, which is why I applied for a FULL-TIME, manager-in-training position. But knowing that I didn't exactly have "career experience," so I was willing to start as a regular sales associate, as long as it was full time, as I was looking for a CAREER. I get a call back literally an hour after filling out the application online asking for me to come in for an interview when the corporate manager is in, which was approx. 5 days in the future. I said yes and was so excited, as animals are my passion.

But when I get there, the woman offers me a part-time sales position, when I reminded them I applied for manager-in-training, and also a full-time position, she told me they didn't have any opening for that. When I asked how many hours I could expect to receive, I was told "maybe 1-to-3 days a week"

I was so upset. They completely wasted my time and it's clear that this company hires young, high-school age kids who know nothing about the animals they are taking care of... and it's easier to hire these kids because they will accept the minimum wage bullcrap hours they offer.

Overall, I am disgusted with this company, with how they run their employees AND how they treat the animals they care for.

By the way, there was no interview process, when I went in, they asked "so why do you want to work here," I answered, then they offered me the 1 day a week minimum wage position.

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Pet Supermarket.

Interview

Interview lasted less than 10 minutes. Conducted in the back room of the store (get used to the clutter if you get hired). Manager on duty that conducted the interview told me I was basically hired, and as long as I passed the background check and drug test, it would be official. Manager handed me a treat dispensing toy and made me do a mock sales pitch. Other than that it was pretty uneventful other than her telling me I was hired.

Interview Questions

• "Let's say a customer just got a new puppy. What do you tell them they will need?"   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Pet Supermarket (Nashville, TN) in November 2016.

Interview

The interview and hiring process is different with every store manager. For me, I would call someone for an interview, ask them a few basic questions, assess their strengths and sales techniques, and if they were a match, I would have them do a background and drug test form. The entire process takes about 2 weeks. (depending on how many addresses you have on your background form)

Interview Questions

• ALL Pet Supermarkets use behavioral based questions in the interviews now.

Tell me about a time that you handed a difficult customer.
      Are you comfortable with suggestive selling? Can you sell me this dog toy?
      What would you say your biggest weakness is and why?
      Why Pet Supermarket?
      What are your future career goals or aspirations?
      Tell me about yourself.
      Tell me about a time that you worked with a group to accomplish a goal. Who was the leader and why?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Pet Supermarket (Orlando, FL).

Interview

They ask you basic questions about your experience with animals. They ask about your interest. Basic stuff. You are in a very small room with one interviewer. They want people who have customer service experience. Knowledge about animals and nutrition is a plus. You need to be outgoing and stick out from the crowd.

Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Pet Supermarket (Miami, FL) in August 2016.

Interview

I applied for a part time sales associate and ended up being hired as a Sales Lead. I applied to the store, the next day I was emailed a personality quiz. I did that and then the following day or so I got a call for an interview. I came in and had the interview with the sales lead and the assistant manager. The assistant manager asked me all the questions from a packet. Typical interview questions; tell me about yourself, what's your precious work experience, why do you want to work here and so forth. There were a couple questions that were different. I had to say the 4 key principles they look for and tell them how I would sell their frisbee. The assitant manager told me she would get the general manager to meet me. Once the GM met me she looked at my application and the notes the assistant took and asked me if I was interested in management. I said yes and she told me that I would need to come back in for a wonderlic test (easy competency test) and have a second interview with the district manager. I came back and had the interview with the DM. Basically the same questions, just more focused towards management. The wonderlic test was easy to do. Once I was done I was emailed to go do a drug test and then they would do my background check. Once that cleared I had a phone interview with a corporate manager. Took about 15 minutes and was just manager type questions. The following day I received a call from the store telling me I had the job. The entire process took about 2 weeks from interview to doing the new employment paperwork.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Royal Palm Beach, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Pet Supermarket (Royal Palm Beach, FL) in July 2016.

Interview

Lasted about 15 minutes and it was very friendly environment. You also have to repeat 4 things that they want you to do they will tell you so listen carefully. You also have to take a drug test so make sure your clean before you put in an application.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself   1 Answer
    • If a customer walked in with a new puppy what would you suggest they get?   Answer Question
    • If you had a goal every shift such as having to sell 10 frisbees a day what would you do to accomplish this?   1 Answer

Sales Associate/Cashier Interview

Anonymous Employee in Pensacola, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Pet Supermarket (Pensacola, FL).

Interview

It was very simple. I filled out an application online and within an hour I received a call saying they were having open interviews. I went in the next day interviewed with the manager and it was very simple because she explained a lot of the policies and requirements and asked me questions about myself and my selling skills, and within about week I found out I got the job.

Interview Questions

• For somebody that is getting a new puppy what would you suggest they buy for it.   1 Answer

Store Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Pet Supermarket (Atlanta, GA) in May 2016.

Interview

You will interview with a store manager then the district manager in a store. After the interview with the District manager interview you will have a phone interview with someone from their corporate office. 3 Interviews total.

Interview Questions

• How did you handle a difficult customer experience?   1 Answer

Negotiation

There is no negotiation, they will give you a salary and that is it.

Assistant Store Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Worth, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Pet Supermarket (Fort Worth, TX).

Interview

I allowed through an app on my phone and got called the next day asking to come into a location for an interview. The manger was very polite and so was the staff the store was very clean.
    I arrived on time, the manger was still busy, so I talked to a few of the employees casually as if I was a customer.

Interview Questions

• They asked me what I look for in an employee, and regular leadership queations   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Peachtree City, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Pet Supermarket (Peachtree City, GA) in May 2016.

Interview

Applied online, called in a few times to check the status and just let them know I was really interested. A few days later I took a "PI survey" then after that got called in for an interview. It took about 30 minutes and was pretty good as far as questions and such.