QinetiQ Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jul 18, 2017

3.2

No Idea Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at QinetiQ (Washington, DC) in February 2013.

Interview

Had a phone screen with a very excited recruiter who had received my resume from a recruiter friend of mine. Within a week, I met with a business development director who was staffing a program for a potential win. He gave me the thumbs up, and then I interviewed with the program director. The site where the business development director was located seemed very sullen and dark and had very few employees in the office (not a surprise). The administrative assistant who was dressed in sweatpants and a hoodie (surprising for corporate attire) seemed to be bored and had left me in the lobby for 30 minutes past the expected interview start with no explanation. I would not describe the place as having any energy at all and seemed to be very sad.

The program director interviewed me at a grocery store that was down the road from the business development director's site. He had gotten himself a cup of coffee at their Starbucks kiosk before I arrived but did not ask me if I wanted to get any refreshments for myself, and quickly launched into the interview. He asked odd questions that led me to believe he thought I was going to try to take his job if I was hired. He told me he liked to work from home and did not go into the office unless it was necessary. I can say for sure that I was never interviewed for a professional IT job at a grocery store before.

I'm not sure for which position I was being interviewed since my resume went directly from recruiter to recruiter. The business development director asked questions about a task lead position but that seemed to be far below my skillset and experience, also having been a director for 5 years.

Seems like the company is a collection of companies that have come together but there is no real direction or cohesiveness. I would have liked to work on that program and do like the client that they support at that location. Would have been a wonderful commute as well. Happy employee? I could have been!

Interview Questions

• The second interviewer asked me whether I wanted to run a few programs (his job) or did I want to just be on a program. I wasn't sure how to answer the question because I've run large organizations far above his pay grade in the past.   Answer Question

Cyber Graduate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Great Malvern, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at QinetiQ (Great Malvern, England (UK)).

Interview

Stage 1: CV and Cover Letter

Stage 2: Video Interview. Weird. They record some questions and for each you have 10 seconds to think of an answer before answering. Uses a webcam and microphone. Very weird but quite easy. Standard competency based questions.

Stage 3: Assessment Centre.
    Includes:
    i. Ice breaker to get to know each other.
    ii. Speed Interviewing.
    iii. Team Exercise - Build a bridge out of paper which can support a weight on top. Be aware of changing requirements, just like in the real world.
    iv. SHL Test. NOT the standard numerical or verbal reasoning. Can't remember what it was called but basically you had several sets of cards. In each set, there's a load of information which you need to read, for example, each card could include flight numbers and flight details. On some cards, there'll be missing information and you need to work out the missing info based on the rest of the cards. Can't for the life of me remember its name, but if it comes to me, I'll add it. It was pretty hard too!
    v. Tech Interview and presentation: Tough. Depends what you're going for but if you're going in for software, then know classes, OOP, languages, collections, basic memory management stuff. Presentation was describing a project you've worked on.

To be honest, it's a classic Graduate Assessment Centre. Looks like they lifted it straight from the "How to run an Assessment Centre" textbook.

Overall, a thorough but flawed assessment centre. Interviewer questioned my age at one point, which is a bit weird and not on really. Quite impersonal interview but it did cover a lot of subjects.

Not really for me to be honest. They seem to want clones from university to be honest and don't look outside of that box. I'm a little older so wasn't going in as a fresh grad. Wouldn't really want to work with the staff to be honest.

2 Weeks since the interview and haven't heard anything so assume a no. Not particularly bothered.

Interview Questions

• What do you know about collections? E.g. Linked Lists, Arrays. What is the difference between a Linked List and an Array?   Answer Question
    • Differences between C++ and C#? When would you use each? Advantages and Disadvantages of each?   Answer Question
    • What is OOP? What are the principles behind OOP? Give an example of polymorphism.   Answer Question
    • Challenges facing this company and industry going forward.   Answer Question

Graduate Naval Architect Interview

Anonymous Employee in Southampton, England (UK)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at QinetiQ (Southampton, England (UK)) in May 2017.

Interview

Submitted a cover letter and CV, followed by video interview and face to face. Standard questions and design portfolio discussions, leading into technical questions. Very interesting process, and much more suited to my skills than a presentation style interview.

Interview Questions

• Biggest weaknesses, dealing with difficult situations, resolving conflicts etc etc - Standard grad scheme questions, as well as technical questions based on design portfolio   Answer Question

Graduate Engineer - Air and Space Division Interview

Anonymous Employee in Farnborough, Hampshire, South East England, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at QinetiQ (Farnborough, Hampshire, South East England, England (UK)) in March 2017.

Interview

The application process for the QinetiQ Graduate Development Programme consisted of initially submitting a CV and covering letter. This was followed by online aptitude testing and if successful, you'll be asked to participate in a video interview. After all videos have been reviewed, if successful, you'll be invited to an all-day assessment centre at one of QinetiQ's sites.

The assessment centre on the whole was by far the most positive I have experienced. The managers and HR staff were extremely friendly and wanted every candidate to do well. There was an introductory session which involved meeting the managers and watching a brief video of what QinetiQ do. This was followed by a short technical exercise where the group and managers were split into teams and had to solve a problem. Although this was a competition, there was emphasis on having fun and interacting with your team.

Candidates were then prepared for the group exercise element. The key within this exercise is to demonstrate your ability to interact with the team (time keeping, encouragement, leadership, working under pressure and innovative thinking). Don't be scared to speak up however there is a fine line between showing leadership and appearing too dominant, therefore practice team interaction exercises beforehand (University is the perfect grounding for this). Shortly after the group exercise, we all had to complete a written assessment by evaluating what we did in the group assignment (learning points, what you did and how your design was achieved).

Prior to attending the assessment centre, you'll be required to prepare a short presentation on a specific topic. This was presented directly before my technical interview. All members on the panel were very supportive, friendly and asked engaging questions. These questions were related to my CV, University modules as well as some work which is conducted at QinetiQ therefore I would recommend researching some case studies and revising some of the modules you have studied (even from previous years). The interview lasted around 60 minutes and I had the opportunity to ask some questions at the end.

The final exercise was a critical thinking assessment which was an individual task where candidates were given a set of cards and had to work out trends using logic from the information provided. A few people did mention that they struggled, including myself however I recommend you work fast, efficiently and move on should you spend too much time on one element.

Overall, I was impressed with how well the day went. It was very well planned, our name badges were spaced out ready for us to collect on arrival and a selection of graduates were around all day to have a chat. It became apparent that QinetiQ really focused on candidates behaviours, how well they presented themselves and participated in conversations. Get to know the managers and HR staff on the day, they were an amazing bunch to converse with. I'm ecstatic about starting the Graduate Development Programme in September.

Interview Questions

• What are the main differences between civil and military satellites?   Answer Question
    • Describe a time were you have worked within a team and experienced issues; how did you overcome them?   Answer Question

Applied Scientist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Farnborough, Hampshire, South East England, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at QinetiQ (Farnborough, Hampshire, South East England, England (UK)) in March 2017.

Interview

It was a full assessment centre day, not just an interview.

Began with ice-breakers. Did a problem solving group exercise (building a bridge out of newspaper), followed by a "Critical thinking exercise" where you inferred patterns/rules from a given dataset. Finally a Technical Presentation on a topic of your choosing, followed immediately by a technical interview, where they asked questions. These questions were about both the presentation itself, as well as more general problem solving questions related to the defence sector.

Interview Questions

• "So, what is the main benefit of your [project] method?"
      "Why might you use ultrashort laser pulses in industry?"
      "Where might you use lasers in a defence capacity?"   Answer Question

Graduate Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at QinetiQ in January 2017.

Interview

Video interview, had 10 seconds to think of a answer, I was not prepared for the questions they asked and the short time I was given to think on the spot.

Interview Questions

• Innovative idea that you came up with and how did you implement it   Answer Question

Network Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Farnborough, Hampshire, South East England, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at QinetiQ (Farnborough, Hampshire, South East England, England (UK)) in September 2016.

Interview

It was a brief phone call covering key technologies I had Little knowledge at the time of Firewalls but I was honest and Keen to learn they seemed to like this so I was offered a contract which I was delighted with at the time I couldn't wait to start I was asked a fair few switching based questions and Nexus based questions

Graduate Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Farnborough, Hampshire, South East England, England (UK)

Application

The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at QinetiQ (Farnborough, Hampshire, South East England, England (UK)).

Interview

Application process after initial application involved a video interview followed by an assessment centre.

The assessment centre involved a technical interview, a HR interview, a broad technical assessment and a group exercise.

Interview Questions

• What needs to be considered when fitting new equipment to an aircraft?   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation, standard graduate scheme salary

Senior SOC Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Malvern, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at QinetiQ (Malvern, England (UK)) in April 2016.

Interview

I had two stage interview and got through them both fine however I felt the SOC environment based in Malvern, UK was depressing and I had the feeling that the place had better time. The SOC environment/infrastructure was pretty dated and technology not adapted to meet child requirements.
    During my interview with 2 guys they took no notes during the 2nd stage interview and had no interview questions to read through so they were pretty much not prepared.
    I have been to many interviews previously and I can say the interview on the 2nd stage was terrible and the hiring managers were managers I could not see myself working under as they lacked direction and clarity of the business operations at Qinetiq.

CIT Position Interview

Anonymous Employee in Malvern, England (UK)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at QinetiQ (Malvern, England (UK)) in March 2016.

Interview

Assesment centre
    - Group exercise
    - Written report
    - Presentation and technical interview
    - Tour of the offices
    - Competency Interview
    - Logic test

The day was well organised. Employees were also on hand to answer any questions about the company.