Quora, Inc. Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Quora, Inc. Interview Questions

Interviews at Quora, Inc.

3.3

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Quora, Inc. (Mountain View, CA) in May 2015.

Interview

There was two round of phone interviews with a collaborative editor, and one on site interview. On site interview takes couple hours and multiple people come to interview you. The rejected me very shortly after, although I am sure that I answered all technical questions correctly. I guess they think i am too inexperienced in real industrial work.

Interview Questions

• They asked a lot of algorithm questions. for example binary search, longest substring, graph theory (shortest path), binary tree etc. There is also practical part, you will have to fix some bug and write some actual code. Also there will be design question, how to design a system to delivery resources etc.   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Quora, Inc. in March 2015.

Interview

I solved quora challenges first, and then the next day I received an email from a recruiter. Then we scheduled a phone interview, which was basically an informal chat about my previous experience. I mentioned I did many data mining and machine learning stuff. But she said data scientist position is not available, so I still applied for SE. Two days before the phone interview, I was told questions related to machine learning will be asked. In the next week, I had a phone interview with one engineer. He asked me to implement decision tree and k-means, which surprised me a lot since I am looking for a SE position.

Interview Questions

• implement decision tree and k-means   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Quora, Inc. (Mountain View, CA) in January 2014.

Interview

Quora is definitely a good company. Interview process was smooth and arranged well. I think two things didn't go well --
    1) I had a on laptop coding question, where I was not told whether I should just write working code or should I write optimized working code. I felt that instruction would have helped in passing laptop coding test.
    The person taking that coding test seemed in lot of hurry, making me felt that completing working code should be sufficient but sadly I guess that was not the case. I completed like 10mins before the scheduled end time.
    2) No feedback was given where things went wrong. It would have been better if some feedback was given.

Otherwise, overall good experience, fantastic team and wish them good luck for the future!

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Quora, Inc. in November 2013.

Interview

Emailed recruiter and was set up with a phone interview. Interviewer was hard to understand, although much of the interview was done using an online collaborative text editor.

1. Question on hexadecimal arithmetic
    2. Given the root of some binary tree, write an algorithm to determine whether that tree is a BST
    3. Why do you want to work at Quora?

The questions were not unreasonable, although I didn't formally prepare for the interview and thus didn't perform as well as I wanted.

Interview Questions

• The hexadecimal arithmetic one - I had never done any hexadecimal math by hand and thus was thrown off   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Quora, Inc. in April 2016.

Interview

I completed one of their coding challenges and was scheduled for a phone interview with one of their engineers.
    Apparently they tend to choose the interviewer based on your race to make you feel comfortable. The interview was 45 min - 1 hour with some routine questions and job introduction in the beginning and 1 or 2 technical questions. I was able to get a basic implementation running and was starting to debug. The interviewer was rather inpatient and hung up after 45 min.

Interview Questions

• Given any string, find the longest substring with at most 2 different characters.   3 Answers

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Quora, Inc. in February 2016.

Interview

I didn't pass the resume filtering but they sent a link of programming challenge. I solved a randomly chosen problem and then was given an opportunity of phone interview. The interviewer seemed to be a junior engineer and made several mistakes. I also made a number of mistakes during the coding test. The interview lasted for 45 mins and after that they decided not to continue.

Interview Questions

• Quora is looking for bug-free programmers. The two questions are about string permutation and "football problem". Entry level problems but I didn't fix all the errors during the given time.   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Quora, Inc. in March 2014.

Interview

Standard Questions. First there were phone screens, then after a couple I was brought on-site. Helped that I knew some people at the company. I had a nice time there, and they tried hard to convince me to join after I got an offer.

Interview Questions

• Actually wrote code to fix a bug.   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Quora, Inc. in November 2014.

Interview

Very hard interview questions. Two phone interviews which were harder than other companies of similar standings(dropbox, facebook, etc.) Asked to work with the code base etc. Questions were interesting but difficult.Quick responses but that might be because I had a pending offer. Challenging.

Interview Questions

• Competition programming type questions   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Quora, Inc. (San Diego, CA) in October 2015.

Interview

Had a phone interview after being contacted through a career fair resume drop, was pretty surprised and didn't have much time to adequately prepare for the interview (5 days). Questions weren't too hard, but perhaps due to nerves (first technical interview ever for me) I took way too long on two relatively trivial (in hindsight) questions

Interview Questions

• Given an array of ints and a number n, calculate the number of ways to sum to n using the ints   4 Answers

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Quora, Inc..

Interview

No HR, I directly got a phone screen round. The interviewer directly started about saying his name, I greeted him back and then he went on saying his role. No questions asked, "Is it a good time?", or "how the phone screen is going to go", "what's the plan?". After that just what would you like to work at Quora, that's a typical question and he didn't care to listen to most of it. No questions asked about resume, directly technical question, execute it and you go to the next round. If you don't, you fail. Your resume, experience, profile doesn't matter for the initial rounds.

Many of my friends have interviewed here including me the questions they ask are usually out of the textbook or not the leetcode questions nothing you could find online later on. So, it's super difficult to communicate and execute it on phone screen.