Reddit Interview Questions

Updated May 19, 2022

To filter interviews, or .
Found 246 of over 246 interviews

Employee Referral16%
2.9
HardAverageEasy

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Reddit (Austin, TX)

Interview

I was contacted about posting related to NLP and asked which I was interested in. An interview was scheduled at which time I found out was for a lesser position in Video Analytics which was not what I agreed to interview for. Questions were typical SQL and product related questions.

Interview Questions
  • Was asked to write some SQL queries based on provided tables.
    Answer Question

Reddit

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Reddit

Interview

No recruiter call or expectations set. I might have a bias because I've contracted before. I interviewed with a senior researcher and head of design, they offered me a job. Then they asked if i would meet with their new research manager. turns out it was another interview, she was very surprised. they offered me the job again, i turned it down. it was too unorganized and you already feel like a second class citizen as a contractor, i just couldn't stomach it.

Interview Questions
  • really standard UXR stuff in the first interview. i was asked to approach a hypothetical question.

The latest conversations about Tech

57 Comments

Tech

206.9K Members

Ask candid career questions

-1 - https://www.fishbowlapp.com/bowl/technology/posts?cf=gd&utm_medium=Glassdoor&utm_source=glassdoor.com&utm_campaign=Interviews&utm_content=Industry-content-integrated-Interviews&utm_term=Reddit~796358
Join the conversation on

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Reddit (Denver, CO) in May 2022

Interview

The first interview was a phone interview that I passed with flying colors. It was using CodeSignal, and it was a React problem. I was invited to an onsite, and it is one of the worst interviews I have ever had. The first interviewer was barely paying attention, explained the problem poorly, and started me on an incorrect line saying "this is where you will start". I assumed they were looking for a stack/queue based solution based on that comment (which felt wrong in React), I tried to clarify I felt starting above is probably better, and that I was trying to think of a recursive solution using a graph. I was basically told "you can do whatever" after I said that. It was confusing to say the least. At the end of the first interview, I was literally asked "have you ever heard of recursion," and was told I should have started up top where I originally mentioned it. It was beyond frustrating. I also forgot the name of a commonly used UI component (a virtualized list), but described how it worked in detail. I was docked for that. I have also been studying data structures and algorithms mostly in Go, so my JavaScript was a little rusty, but I picked it right back up. The guy spent time explaining to me how higher-order functions work (don't forget, this is a "senior" level role, yes, I know filter, map, reduce, forEach, every, etcetera), showed an O(n^2) time complexity way of parsing the data, and I could tell he thought I had no clue what I was doing. It was not an adequate gauge of my skills at all. I felt misled and I am usually great at interacting with interviewers and explaining my thought process, but he did not turn on his camera, and I could hear him typing during the interview. The next interview, it was a "system design" interview to me that was common sense. I was beyond frustrated here as well, because it's supposed to be an open-ended conversation and high-level. Most system design interviews do not want you to get too into the weeds. Apparently, from that conversation, it was gauged that I didn't go into enough depth. Yes, the questions were purposely vague, but it made absolutely no sense to me. We somehow got to a discussion about accessibility tags (which I have used) that I would just look up, but I forgot that they are "aria" tags. Once again, docked for not knowing some small obscure amount of knowledge that I would just look up and is usually standardized in a material library. I was the one who brought up accessibility to begin with. I also did not know the proper name for a "debounce", but knew and explained how to implement it. Overall, it felt like I was guiding the second conversation, and as a system design interviewer, you should be guiding the candidate in what you want to know and pushing them into describing in more detail what you do want to know. If you want specific implementation details, ask me. Don't hope that I bring it up and go down a million rabbit-holes that don't have enough "depth". On top of it all, the second interviewer was having construction in his house, and kept getting up and moving around, sometimes losing focus on the conversation. The last interview was cutoff. I told the interviewer about my experience. I could tell he was very skeptical. Right after telling him that I am usually open and honest, I was told "if you want me to be open an honest, you are just not up to the bar we are looking for". He cancelled the onsite, and it was one of the worst experiences I have ever had. I tried to ask him for specific feedback, and he just said I didn't go into enough detail on the second interview (which makes no sense, as I was told not to go into too much detail and that it's an "open" discussion). I signed an NDA so I will not go into too much detail about the problems, but it blew my mind that they "gauged" my abilities from such high-level topics and couldn't figure out what they were looking for. I was told certain things would not be counted against me, but they obviously were. Their hiring process is full of confirmation bias. Overall, a very toxic interview process. I was afraid to post this not wanting to sour a future relationship, but I would never work in that environment.

Interview Questions
Be the first to find this interview helpful

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral I interviewed at Reddit (San Francisco, CA) in May 2022

Interview

Applied for one role but then was sent JD and interviewed for a different role (I flagged that it seemed like it would be better for someone more junior than me, and ended up getting downleveled as a result). Typical phone screen with HM, then onsite with team of PMs with typical product and behavioral questions. Was up front with the recruiter that I had other onsites in progress and would need a couple of weeks to decide and recruiter said that was fine. But ended up getting an exploding offer anyways with no room for negotiating.

Interview Questions
Be the first to find this interview helpful

Reddit

Application

I applied through an employee referral The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Reddit

Interview

HR call, then 2x whiteboarding. Any point of contact at this company was of my ethnicity and that really felt like it was forced that way to "make things comfortable". Technical interview's interviewer seemed like some random SWE who happened to have that time block open, they used their phone while outside to conduct the interview and hastily hung up on me when "time was up" without asking me if I had any questions. Got ghosted afterwards.

Interview Questions
  • Some graph traversal stuff you'd learn in your CS program but with a twist
2 people found this interview helpful

Reddit

Application

I interviewed at Reddit

Interview

Two rounds. Lots of algorithms (leetcode medium). Final round was about 2.5 hours long. You get to meet your team manager in the final round so if you choose to accept you know what team you will be on.

Interview Questions
  • Leetcode medium questions. They were very kind and collaborative as well
1 person found this interview helpful

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Amsterdam

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Reddit (Amsterdam) in Apr 2022

Interview

2 System design interview 3 Live-coding (leetcode-style) interviews Cross-functional interview with product manager Hiring manager interview (but not the Hiring manager for the team I applied for) Expect to spend at least 8 hours on interviews and lots of reshuffling and interviewers not showing up for meetings. Very disorganized, but people seem laidback and friendly.

Interview Questions
  • How would your former managers rate you from 1-10? How would you decide whether a feature is worth working on? Describe career highlight/lowlights. Live-coding (similar to medium-difficulty challenges on HackerRank)
1 person found this interview helpful

Reddit

Application

I applied through an employee referral The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Reddit

Interview

Interview loop with 5 team members in one day- over zoom, had to do a take home assignment with a campaign brief, which was new, offered to present it but wasn't asked to

Interview Questions
Be the first to find this interview helpful

Reddit

Application

I interviewed at Reddit

Interview

My first and only interview was with an HR/recruiter person after applying. The interview was focused on my current organization's structure and team size, which was unusual. There was no conversation about my background, skills, the Reddit position, or compensation. The org questions were quite ambiguous, and I regret not digging into more what they wanted. I work for a very large company and team size could be 10 or 1,000 depending how you define it, but I didn't think HR would really care too much. The recruiter recorded my answers, said they would pass it along to the hiring manager, and I received a rejection a few days later. I haven't failed an initial screen since I was a new grad, so I'm somewhat suspicious that I never had a chance. (Perhaps they have an internal or sponsored candidate and were just going through the motions?) I'm thankful they didn't waste my time and got back to me, but I believe it was a missed opportunity for Reddit and myself.

Interview Questions
  • Questions were focused on my current employer's org structure.

Reddit

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Reddit in Mar 2022

Interview

I applied for a position, and was responded to by a recruiter that was nice and straight to the point. She provided me with interview prep before the next step, which was a technical screen with an engineer. Most likely did not pass the technical screen, and even if I did, I would drop my candidacy because the engineer that interviewed me was someone who I would work closely with on the same team. This engineer was very rude from the beginning, often scoffing, interrupting, and laughing if I gave a wrong response or was thinking out loud while solving. Any time I asked for clarification on the ambiguous problem, he continued to be rude, making it harder to even ask clarifying questions or focus on solving the medium problem. He also often also used improper technical terms to describe properties of the data structure making it more confusing what was being asked. I wouldn't have minded this so much if I felt comfortable asking for clarification, but he was not open to it at all. And anytime I tried to describe my thought process, I was interrupted every 5 seconds, until after 10 minutes of that, he clearly gave up and began to focus on other work (I would ask a clarifying question and he wouldn't even notice). I was just waiting for the time to be out so I can drop my candidacy. Easily the worst interview experience I've ever had.

Interview Questions
  • Building a data structure of intervals to allow for search of a number that was not present in any of the intervals in faster than linear time.
3 people found this interview helpful
Viewing 1 - 10 of 246 Interviews

Reddit Interviews FAQs

Glassdoor users rated their interview experience at Reddit as 51.0% positive with a difficulty rating score of 2.90 out of 5 (where 5 is the highest level of difficulty). Candidates interviewing for Senior Software Engineer and Software Engineer rated their interviews as the hardest, whereas interviews for Product Manager and Product Designer roles were rated as the easiest.

The hiring process at Reddit takes an average of 25 days when considering 240 user submitted interviews across all job titles. Candidates applying for Product Designer had the quickest hiring process (on average 11 days), whereas Senior Software Engineer roles had the slowest hiring process (on average 22 days).

Common stages of the interview process at Reddit according to 240 Glassdoor interviews include:

Phone Interview: 31.03%