Reddit Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Sep 3, 2017

2.8

1. Featured Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Reddit (San Francisco, CA) in February 2017.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter on LinkedIn. I then had a phone screen with another recruiter, a technical phone call, and an onsite interview. Throughout the process the recruiters were really prompt with getting back to me, and even took care to keep me updated and engaged after the onsite. The questions were a mix of front end/coding/culture fit, and you can use your laptop for all of the programming questions - no whiteboarding! Overall it was one of the best interview experiences I've had, and I was really impressed with everyone I met.

IOS Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. I interviewed at Reddit in August 2017.

Interview

After an initial phone screen, I was given a coding exercise which consisted of one leetcode question in Swift and one debugging question in Objective-C. Next, I was given the opportunity to do a technical interview with the hiring manager on Zoom with Coderpad. This was the WORST interview I have ever been a part of. The interviewer didn't ask anything about me or my background, he didn't talk about the company at all, and he offered no help when I asked for clarification concerning the coding task (Tree Traversal). The question was worded a bit oddly, so I asked if he could explain it in a bit more detail. He proceeded to basically repeat the instructions word-for-word. After about 20 minutes of stumbling through some code that I thought would perform the task requested and attempting to get more clarity on the question, I realized what he actually wanted me to do. After confirming what I now realized was a basic tree traversal problem, I began working on that. About two minutes later (25 minutes in), the interviewer TOOK A PHONE CALL. That's right, he took a phone call in the middle of my interview and proceeded to put me and himself on mute while he had a conversation with someone else on the phone. I asked if he wanted me to keep going, but he paid no attention. After about 5 minutes of waiting for him to get off the phone, I just began working on my solution. He took around 10 minutes to finish up his call, which apparently was much more important. He then told me we were out of time and that I hadn't completed the task in time. He told me to walk through what I would have done had I been given more time. I explained my next steps, and he said something to the effect of "I think if you had more time, you would have done very well." - I'm now just really upset that I was given the opportunity to build and work on a product I love and enjoy, and it's all gone because one hiring manager decided a good time to take a phone call was during my interview. I've NEVER heard of anything this disrespectful happening in an interview. I'm disappointed in Reddit for letting something like this happen.

Interview Questions

Reddit Response

Aug 21, 2017 – VP of Engineering

We appreciate you bringing this to our attention. We will be looking into this and taking immediate corrective action as we take our interview process very seriously. - Nick Caldwell, VP of... More

IOS Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Reddit (San Francisco, CA) in July 2017.

Interview

Phone Screen with the recruiter, Virtual Technical Interview using CoderPad and my phone, Onsite Interview in SF that lasted 4 hours which consisted of 6 interviews (3 technical and 3 behavioral/culture fit)

Data Engineer Interview

Interview

I had an initial conversation with a recruiter. From the initial conversation, I moved on to a technical phone interview with two members of the Reddit staff. The recruiter then followed up within 24 hours after the phone interview.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Reddit (San Francisco, CA) in June 2017.

Interview

I currently drive for Lyft while I am looking for a full time job. In one of my rides, I had a customer who is a Senior Software Engineer at Reddit. I asked him if they were hiring for a
     Junior level software engineering role and he said they were. We exchanged information and I emailed him my resume.
    Few days later, I was contacted by a Reddit recruiter. Following our conversation, he scheduled me for a technical phone interview with one of their Software Engineers.
    During the phone interview, I couldn't finish the problem. I missed the most important part of it. He said I could continue working on it during the weekend and email him when I was done. I did, and emailed it to him.
    It was not a surprise to me though when they decided not to move forward since I didn't finish it during the interview.
    I have interviewed with many other companies in the past but my experience with Reddit from the beginning to the end is the most positive one I have ever had. Everyone was very nice and friendly throughout the process and they truly deserve 10 stars. I will definitely try with them again.

Senior Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Reddit.

Interview

Very very strange process, phone screen was a standard algorithm question, I gave a great answer, it compiled successfully, everything was good. I've been thru more than 20 phone screens, i usually know when it is a pass or fail. This was a clear pass.
    Somehow the recruiter rejected me after, saying the position was not available anymore.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Reddit (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

First, there is an HR call, then a phone screen, then an onsite, pretty standard. The onsite includes several technical rounds (coding+design), including around with live coding with your own laptop. In addition, there is around with behavior questions.

The recruiter was prompt in response to the next step. The interviewing team was nice and strong. The company seems is undergoing tremendous growth in the past year ( a huge advance in traffic: now the 4th most trafficking site in the US; new self-service ads platform etc). It was quite a pleasant experience. It is a quite unique, still very small company with a low valuation. If Reddit can solve the challenging revenue problem it will become a huge huge success.

IOS Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Reddit (San Francisco, CA) in April 2017.

Interview

Brief conversation with recruiter. Coderpad + phone tech interview. Interviewer spent too much time on Reddit and didn't leave enough time for coding. Was rude and said he had to go.

Interview Questions

• Flatten a dictionary into an array. Flattened keys were in the form key1.key2....keyN.   Answer Question

Android Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 10+ months. I interviewed at Reddit (San Francisco, CA) in March 2017.

Interview

Reddit was one of my best interview experiences. Everyone at the office is really passionate about the work and it definitely shows. I would highly recommend it to anyone who gets an offer. They generally do 3 interviews (1 whiteboard, 1 coding, and 1 specific to the role). Study up on DS&Algs, OOP, and system design&architecture but make sure your implementation skills are up to par as well (don't just focus on whiteboarding).

Interview Questions

• Wasn't expecting to write actual code which threw me off.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Reddit (San Francisco, CA) in February 2017.

Interview

I was referred by a former co-worker. Had an initial chat with the VP of Engineering followed by another chat with a recruiter. I was promptly scheduled for a technical phone screen later that week. It was a standard tech screen over the phone and using Coderpad for code. Heard back from another recruiter the very next day to schedule my onsite. It was 4.5 hours total, with 3 technical interviews (mix of whiteboard and Coderpad; standard algorithms/general programming competency), a cross-functional interview with the product managers over lunch, and 2 other behavioral/cultural interviews. Heard back from my recruiter the same day, chatted over the phone the next day about offer details, and accepted my offer the day after that. Was not able to negotiate salary but the offer was reasonable and I'm optimistic about Reddit.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Reddit.

Interview

I applied online and the recruiter reached out to me. However, after 2 months and multiple email correspondences, we still had yet to talk to each other on the phone. The recruiter was extremely slow responding to my emails (normally half a week to a full week each time), making scheduling phone calls extremely difficult. He missed our scheduled phone call and then asked to reschedule, but then was also out sick for a full two weeks and didn't get anyone to cover for him, leaving me in radio silence as to what happened. It was only ever I got an offer that my recruiter mentioned they weren't planning to hire new grads currently and were only looking for more senior engineers.

Reddit needs to improve their hiring process. Initially, my response to getting an email from them was "Who doesn't want to work for Reddit?", but after this experience, I don't think I'm ever applying to there again.