Reddit Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jun 12, 2018

2.7

1. Featured Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Reddit (San Francisco, CA) in February 2017.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter on LinkedIn. I then had a phone screen with another recruiter, a technical phone call, and an onsite interview. Throughout the process the recruiters were really prompt with getting back to me, and even took care to keep me updated and engaged after the onsite. The questions were a mix of front end/coding/culture fit, and you can use your laptop for all of the programming questions - no whiteboarding! Overall it was one of the best interview experiences I've had, and I was really impressed with everyone I met.

Customer Success Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Reddit (San Francisco, CA) in June 2018.

Interview

Applied online. Phone call with Sales Director. Homework assignment. 3 hour onsite conducted in series of 1:1 interviews. They check your emotional IQ. Understand not only the tangible wins you've had for your clients but why they mattered. They test your advertising/campaign management experience. Understand the basics of how online advertising works. Many free resources exist but the best is Google's Adwords certification program. Take a weekend to complete and then use this as a foundation to conceptualize how advertisers can succeed on Reddit. Be prepared. Be authentic. Be humble. This isn't your average CSM role.

Interview Questions

• Can't disclose verbatim but here's a practice question in the same vein. How would you setup the optimal campaign for a glass company advertising on Reddit?   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Reddit.

Interview

The interviewer is too junior to handle this interview job, he didn't seem fully understand the correct answers himself and gave a lot of wrong suggestions which was very misleading. I doubt they take the interview process seriously and won't submit my resume to this company again.

Android Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Reddit (New York, NY).

Interview

First was the initial recruiter interviews where they sell you the company for 30 mins and ask about what you've worked on. I was told the next step would be a technical phone screening and asked if it would related to Android and was told it would.

It wasn't. The person doing the interview asked a few background questions and how would I implement an app that does x. Then for the next 35-40 minutes he had me solve a leetcode problem on coderpad. He didn't explain the question fully so after my first approach printed stuff he explained that it wasn't correct and explained again what it should do. This kept happening until there was 5 minutes left and when we drilled further into how to implement it I understood the problem. He didn't seem to care though, but I felt like I got screwed because he didn't know how to explain the problem and just assumed I got it.

The interview had nothing to do with the position I was applying for, for someone with years experience and has been out of school for a bit you should probably study leetcode and other stuff you probably haven't done in a while, this seemed like it was meant for a new grad.

Interview Questions

• I looked up the question after and it was in the hard section of leetcode.   1 Answer

Sales Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Detroit, MI

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Reddit (Detroit, MI) in May 2018.

Interview

Interview went well - was quick and to the point. However, they did tell me they were going to move me along in the interview process, but then changed their mind. Which is their right, but was misleading.

Interview Questions

• What was my previous experience and how did it relate to the position you are applying for.   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Reddit.

Interview

Recruiter set up a time to chat and then never called me. He later left the company. Through a different recruiter I set up a phone interview followed by an on-site. On-site was pretty standard: four 45 minute coding interviews. It was kind of was strange that none of the interviewers were from the team I’d be on. One cross functional interview with a super bro-y product manager. Very easy questions overall.

The offer was terrible, way lower than I expected and a title level lower than my current position. I wouldn’t have interviewed if I knew they’d offer a pay and title cut. They don’t negotiate, so I accepted a senior-level offer with 50% higher pay at a more prestigious company. For comparison, the signing bonus for the offer I accepted was 5x (!!) Reddit’s signing bonus.

I don’t understand the reasoning behind officially not negotiating offers and then offering lowball comp packages. The stock options are worthless - Reddit is not going public and everyone but the recruiters seem to know that.

I don’t think the culture was a good fit either. They gave me the same canned response as they always do when I asked about Russian election meddling and hate speech/ abuse on their platform. Given the recent developments, I think their CEO implicitly supports the kind of discourse that’s damaging our society. I would strongly recommend looking for a job elsewhere.

Interview Questions

Reddit Response

Apr 20, 2018 – Recruiting Manager, Tech

Thanks for your feedback.

Our recruiters take care not to leave any candidate hanging, so I apologize that the initial phone screen you were expecting fell through. That is unacceptable, and we’re... More

Software Engineer - New Grad Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Reddit in December 2017.

Interview

It was very straight forward. They got back to me pretty quickly and the interview process was about a week long. The interviews were in three stages: phone screen, coding challenge, and group interview.

Community Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Reddit (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

The recruiter was very unprofessional. He reached out about the job opportunity, yet did a very poor job of following up. After times for the initial phone call were set, either right before or AFTER the call was supposed to start, he would email and apologize saying he was dragged into another meeting and needed to postpone the call again. This happened 4 times.
    However, the hiring manager and the team were very professional. The team members seemed very thoughtful and it was an enjoyable experience speaking with them. The office itself was fairly nice, it was an open plan with stocked kitchens. Ultimately didn't end up taking the role, because the recruiter had suggested that the salary would be much higher. When I got the offer, it was significantly lower than expected, despite the recruiter claiming he would try his best to get an ideal compromise. While the benefits were lavish, the recruiter seemed pretty sketchy and was always either backtracking or trying to twist his words. I always hear that recruiters should be the face of the company...this was a large reason why I ended up declining the offer.

Interview Questions

• Have you been following the recent news about Reddit? Why do you think we did what we did? Why now?   Answer Question

Community Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Reddit (San Francisco, CA) in September 2017.

Interview

I applied for the position and received an interview request within 1 business day. The interview was scheduled to be 2 days later and was standard, some basic questions covering experience and interests. I was told I'd be a good fit for the position and that I can expect to hear back within 2-3 business days. 2-3 business days passed by and I didn't hear back from the recruiter so I sent a quick follow-up email. Another week passed, I sent another follow-up email, but still did not receive a response.

Pretty frustrating, but safe to say I was ghosted by the recruiter.

IOS Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. I interviewed at Reddit in August 2017.

Interview

After an initial phone screen, I was given a coding exercise which consisted of one leetcode question in Swift and one debugging question in Objective-C. Next, I was given the opportunity to do a technical interview with the hiring manager on Zoom with Coderpad. This was the WORST interview I have ever been a part of. The interviewer didn't ask anything about me or my background, he didn't talk about the company at all, and he offered no help when I asked for clarification concerning the coding task (Tree Traversal). The question was worded a bit oddly, so I asked if he could explain it in a bit more detail. He proceeded to basically repeat the instructions word-for-word. After about 20 minutes of stumbling through some code that I thought would perform the task requested and attempting to get more clarity on the question, I realized what he actually wanted me to do. After confirming what I now realized was a basic tree traversal problem, I began working on that. About two minutes later (25 minutes in), the interviewer TOOK A PHONE CALL. That's right, he took a phone call in the middle of my interview and proceeded to put me and himself on mute while he had a conversation with someone else on the phone. I asked if he wanted me to keep going, but he paid no attention. After about 5 minutes of waiting for him to get off the phone, I just began working on my solution. He took around 10 minutes to finish up his call, which apparently was much more important. He then told me we were out of time and that I hadn't completed the task in time. He told me to walk through what I would have done had I been given more time. I explained my next steps, and he said something to the effect of "I think if you had more time, you would have done very well." - I'm now just really upset that I was given the opportunity to build and work on a product I love and enjoy, and it's all gone because one hiring manager decided a good time to take a phone call was during my interview. I've NEVER heard of anything this disrespectful happening in an interview. I'm disappointed in Reddit for letting something like this happen.

Interview Questions

Reddit Response

Aug 21, 2017 – VP of Engineering

We appreciate you bringing this to our attention. We will be looking into this and taking immediate corrective action as we take our interview process very seriously. - Nick Caldwell, VP of... More

IOS Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Reddit (San Francisco, CA) in July 2017.

Interview

Phone Screen with the recruiter, Virtual Technical Interview using CoderPad and my phone, Onsite Interview in SF that lasted 4 hours which consisted of 6 interviews (3 technical and 3 behavioral/culture fit)