Reddit Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Oct 17, 2018

2.8

1. Featured Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Reddit (San Francisco, CA) in February 2017.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter on LinkedIn. I then had a phone screen with another recruiter, a technical phone call, and an onsite interview. Throughout the process the recruiters were really prompt with getting back to me, and even took care to keep me updated and engaged after the onsite. The questions were a mix of front end/coding/culture fit, and you can use your laptop for all of the programming questions - no whiteboarding! Overall it was one of the best interview experiences I've had, and I was really impressed with everyone I met.

Community Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Reddit (San Francisco, CA) in September 2017.

Interview

I applied for the position and received an interview request within 1 business day. The interview was scheduled to be 2 days later and was standard, some basic questions covering experience and interests. I was told I'd be a good fit for the position and that I can expect to hear back within 2-3 business days. 2-3 business days passed by and I didn't hear back from the recruiter so I sent a quick follow-up email. Another week passed, I sent another follow-up email, but still did not receive a response.

Pretty frustrating, but safe to say I was ghosted by the recruiter.

Community Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Reddit (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

The recruiter was very unprofessional. He reached out about the job opportunity, yet did a very poor job of following up. After times for the initial phone call were set, either right before or AFTER the call was supposed to start, he would email and apologize saying he was dragged into another meeting and needed to postpone the call again. This happened 4 times.
    However, the hiring manager and the team were very professional. The team members seemed very thoughtful and it was an enjoyable experience speaking with them. The office itself was fairly nice, it was an open plan with stocked kitchens. Ultimately didn't end up taking the role, because the recruiter had suggested that the salary would be much higher. When I got the offer, it was significantly lower than expected, despite the recruiter claiming he would try his best to get an ideal compromise. While the benefits were lavish, the recruiter seemed pretty sketchy and was always either backtracking or trying to twist his words. I always hear that recruiters should be the face of the company...this was a large reason why I ended up declining the offer.

Interview Questions

• Have you been following the recent news about Reddit? Why do you think we did what we did? Why now?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Reddit (San Francisco, CA) in November 2015.

Interview

Pretty standard recruiting process, but they move pretty fast and efficient. Spoke to a recruiter, then had a technical phonescreen followed by an onsite, all within 1.5 weeks. This has been one of the most pleasant interview experience I had. People were very nice and seemed happy about their jobs. Non-stressful atmosphere. Interview questions are similar to what you get at other tech companies in the Bay Area, nothing crazy.

Interview Questions

• Can't disclose. Brush up on CS fundamentals and system design. Trees, heaps, recursion, know how to do DFS.   Answer Question

Nov 3, 2016 – Recruiter

Thank you for sharing your experience here! We believe our value-driven community at Reddit Inc is truly unique, and that bringing together people of all different backgrounds to solve challenging... More

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Reddit.

Interview

Recruiter set up a time to chat and then never called me. He later left the company. Through a different recruiter I set up a phone interview followed by an on-site. On-site was pretty standard: four 45 minute coding interviews. It was kind of was strange that none of the interviewers were from the team I’d be on. One cross functional interview with a super bro-y product manager. Very easy questions overall.

The offer was terrible, way lower than I expected and a title level lower than my current position. I wouldn’t have interviewed if I knew they’d offer a pay and title cut. They don’t negotiate, so I accepted a senior-level offer with 50% higher pay at a more prestigious company. For comparison, the signing bonus for the offer I accepted was 5x (!!) Reddit’s signing bonus.

I don’t understand the reasoning behind officially not negotiating offers and then offering lowball comp packages. The stock options are worthless - Reddit is not going public and everyone but the recruiters seem to know that.

I don’t think the culture was a good fit either. They gave me the same canned response as they always do when I asked about Russian election meddling and hate speech/ abuse on their platform. Given the recent developments, I think their CEO implicitly supports the kind of discourse that’s damaging our society. I would strongly recommend looking for a job elsewhere.

Interview Questions

Reddit Response

Apr 20, 2018 – Recruiting Manager, Tech

Thanks for your feedback.

Our recruiters take care not to leave any candidate hanging, so I apologize that the initial phone screen you were expecting fell through. That is unacceptable, and we’re... More

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Reddit.

Interview

The interviewer is too junior to handle this interview job, he didn't seem fully understand the correct answers himself and gave a lot of wrong suggestions which was very misleading. I doubt they take the interview process seriously and won't submit my resume to this company again.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Reddit (San Francisco, CA) in June 2017.

Interview

I currently drive for Lyft while I am looking for a full time job. In one of my rides, I had a customer who is a Senior Software Engineer at Reddit. I asked him if they were hiring for a
     Junior level software engineering role and he said they were. We exchanged information and I emailed him my resume.
    Few days later, I was contacted by a Reddit recruiter. Following our conversation, he scheduled me for a technical phone interview with one of their Software Engineers.
    During the phone interview, I couldn't finish the problem. I missed the most important part of it. He said I could continue working on it during the weekend and email him when I was done. I did, and emailed it to him.
    It was not a surprise to me though when they decided not to move forward since I didn't finish it during the interview.
    I have interviewed with many other companies in the past but my experience with Reddit from the beginning to the end is the most positive one I have ever had. Everyone was very nice and friendly throughout the process and they truly deserve 10 stars. I will definitely try with them again.

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

1 phone screen followed by an invitation to a couple of on-site interviews. Three out of the six onsite interviews were tech focussed (coding on a laptop), the remaining interviews were dev ops, product oriented and culture fit interviews.

Pros: employees are very energetic and passionate.

Cons: Lack of feedback/communication from the recruiter which made the overall experience very poor.

Interview Questions

• Know your distributed systems and the usual datastructure and algorithms stuff.   Answer Question

Nov 3, 2016 – Recruiter

We really appreciate your feedback, and we’re sorry you experienced a lack of communication from your recruiter. We are glad you enjoyed meeting the team. Thanks for your time and interest, and we... More

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Reddit (San Francisco, CA) in February 2017.

Interview

I was referred by a former co-worker. Had an initial chat with the VP of Engineering followed by another chat with a recruiter. I was promptly scheduled for a technical phone screen later that week. It was a standard tech screen over the phone and using Coderpad for code. Heard back from another recruiter the very next day to schedule my onsite. It was 4.5 hours total, with 3 technical interviews (mix of whiteboard and Coderpad; standard algorithms/general programming competency), a cross-functional interview with the product managers over lunch, and 2 other behavioral/cultural interviews. Heard back from my recruiter the same day, chatted over the phone the next day about offer details, and accepted my offer the day after that. Was not able to negotiate salary but the offer was reasonable and I'm optimistic about Reddit.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Reddit (San Francisco, CA) in February 2017.

Interview

There was one technical phone screen. Following that was the onsite consisting of 3 technical interviews, 1 behavior interview, and 1 lunch interview, and a quick wrap up with the recruiter. Pretty standard. If all goes well, you can learn more about the team through a series of 1:1 chats with the members of the team you would be working on.