Reddit Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Mar 16, 2018

2.7

1. Featured Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Reddit (San Francisco, CA) in February 2017.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter on LinkedIn. I then had a phone screen with another recruiter, a technical phone call, and an onsite interview. Throughout the process the recruiters were really prompt with getting back to me, and even took care to keep me updated and engaged after the onsite. The questions were a mix of front end/coding/culture fit, and you can use your laptop for all of the programming questions - no whiteboarding! Overall it was one of the best interview experiences I've had, and I was really impressed with everyone I met.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Reddit.

Interview

Recruiter set up a time to chat and then never called me. He later left the company. Through a different recruiter I set up a phone interview followed by an on-site. On-site was pretty standard: four 45 minute coding interviews. It was kind of was strange that none of the interviewers were from the team I’d be on. One cross functional interview with a super bro-y product manager. Very easy questions overall.

The offer was terrible, way lower than I expected and a title level lower than my current position. I wouldn’t have interviewed if I knew they’d offer a pay and title cut. They don’t negotiate, so I accepted a senior-level offer with 50% higher pay at a more prestigious company. For comparison, the signing bonus for the offer I accepted was 5x (!!) Reddit’s signing bonus.

I don’t understand the reasoning behind officially not negotiating offers and then offering lowball comp packages. The stock options are worthless - Reddit is not going public and everyone but the recruiters seem to know that.

I don’t think the culture was a good fit either. They gave me the same canned response as they always do when I asked about Russian election meddling and hate speech/ abuse on their platform. Given the recent developments, I think their CEO implicitly supports the kind of discourse that’s damaging our society. I would strongly recommend looking for a job elsewhere.

Interview Questions

Reddit Response

Apr 20, 2018 – Recruiting Manager, Tech

Thanks for your feedback.

Our recruiters take care not to leave any candidate hanging, so I apologize that the initial phone screen you were expecting fell through. That is unacceptable, and we’re... More

Software Engineer - New Grad Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Reddit in December 2017.

Interview

It was very straight forward. They got back to me pretty quickly and the interview process was about a week long. The interviews were in three stages: phone screen, coding challenge, and group interview.

Community Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Reddit (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

The recruiter was very unprofessional. He reached out about the job opportunity, yet did a very poor job of following up. After times for the initial phone call were set, either right before or AFTER the call was supposed to start, he would email and apologize saying he was dragged into another meeting and needed to postpone the call again. This happened 4 times.
    However, the hiring manager and the team were very professional. The team members seemed very thoughtful and it was an enjoyable experience speaking with them. The office itself was fairly nice, it was an open plan with stocked kitchens. Ultimately didn't end up taking the role, because the recruiter had suggested that the salary would be much higher. When I got the offer, it was significantly lower than expected, despite the recruiter claiming he would try his best to get an ideal compromise. While the benefits were lavish, the recruiter seemed pretty sketchy and was always either backtracking or trying to twist his words. I always hear that recruiters should be the face of the company...this was a large reason why I ended up declining the offer.

Interview Questions

• Have you been following the recent news about Reddit? Why do you think we did what we did? Why now?   Answer Question

Community Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Reddit (San Francisco, CA) in September 2017.

Interview

I applied for the position and received an interview request within 1 business day. The interview was scheduled to be 2 days later and was standard, some basic questions covering experience and interests. I was told I'd be a good fit for the position and that I can expect to hear back within 2-3 business days. 2-3 business days passed by and I didn't hear back from the recruiter so I sent a quick follow-up email. Another week passed, I sent another follow-up email, but still did not receive a response.

Pretty frustrating, but safe to say I was ghosted by the recruiter.

IOS Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. I interviewed at Reddit in August 2017.

Interview

After an initial phone screen, I was given a coding exercise which consisted of one leetcode question in Swift and one debugging question in Objective-C. Next, I was given the opportunity to do a technical interview with the hiring manager on Zoom with Coderpad. This was the WORST interview I have ever been a part of. The interviewer didn't ask anything about me or my background, he didn't talk about the company at all, and he offered no help when I asked for clarification concerning the coding task (Tree Traversal). The question was worded a bit oddly, so I asked if he could explain it in a bit more detail. He proceeded to basically repeat the instructions word-for-word. After about 20 minutes of stumbling through some code that I thought would perform the task requested and attempting to get more clarity on the question, I realized what he actually wanted me to do. After confirming what I now realized was a basic tree traversal problem, I began working on that. About two minutes later (25 minutes in), the interviewer TOOK A PHONE CALL. That's right, he took a phone call in the middle of my interview and proceeded to put me and himself on mute while he had a conversation with someone else on the phone. I asked if he wanted me to keep going, but he paid no attention. After about 5 minutes of waiting for him to get off the phone, I just began working on my solution. He took around 10 minutes to finish up his call, which apparently was much more important. He then told me we were out of time and that I hadn't completed the task in time. He told me to walk through what I would have done had I been given more time. I explained my next steps, and he said something to the effect of "I think if you had more time, you would have done very well." - I'm now just really upset that I was given the opportunity to build and work on a product I love and enjoy, and it's all gone because one hiring manager decided a good time to take a phone call was during my interview. I've NEVER heard of anything this disrespectful happening in an interview. I'm disappointed in Reddit for letting something like this happen.

Interview Questions

Reddit Response

Aug 21, 2017 – VP of Engineering

We appreciate you bringing this to our attention. We will be looking into this and taking immediate corrective action as we take our interview process very seriously. - Nick Caldwell, VP of... More

IOS Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Reddit (San Francisco, CA) in July 2017.

Interview

Phone Screen with the recruiter, Virtual Technical Interview using CoderPad and my phone, Onsite Interview in SF that lasted 4 hours which consisted of 6 interviews (3 technical and 3 behavioral/culture fit)

Data Engineer Interview

Interview

I had an initial conversation with a recruiter. From the initial conversation, I moved on to a technical phone interview with two members of the Reddit staff. The recruiter then followed up within 24 hours after the phone interview.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Reddit (San Francisco, CA) in June 2017.

Interview

I currently drive for Lyft while I am looking for a full time job. In one of my rides, I had a customer who is a Senior Software Engineer at Reddit. I asked him if they were hiring for a
     Junior level software engineering role and he said they were. We exchanged information and I emailed him my resume.
    Few days later, I was contacted by a Reddit recruiter. Following our conversation, he scheduled me for a technical phone interview with one of their Software Engineers.
    During the phone interview, I couldn't finish the problem. I missed the most important part of it. He said I could continue working on it during the weekend and email him when I was done. I did, and emailed it to him.
    It was not a surprise to me though when they decided not to move forward since I didn't finish it during the interview.
    I have interviewed with many other companies in the past but my experience with Reddit from the beginning to the end is the most positive one I have ever had. Everyone was very nice and friendly throughout the process and they truly deserve 10 stars. I will definitely try with them again.

Senior Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Reddit.

Interview

Very very strange process, phone screen was a standard algorithm question, I gave a great answer, it compiled successfully, everything was good. I've been thru more than 20 phone screens, i usually know when it is a pass or fail. This was a clear pass.
    Somehow the recruiter rejected me after, saying the position was not available anymore.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Reddit (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

First, there is an HR call, then a phone screen, then an onsite, pretty standard. The onsite includes several technical rounds (coding+design), including around with live coding with your own laptop. In addition, there is around with behavior questions.

The recruiter was prompt in response to the next step. The interviewing team was nice and strong. The company seems is undergoing tremendous growth in the past year ( a huge advance in traffic: now the 4th most trafficking site in the US; new self-service ads platform etc). It was quite a pleasant experience. It is a quite unique, still very small company with a low valuation. If Reddit can solve the challenging revenue problem it will become a huge huge success.