Reel FX Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Nov 17, 2016

2.7

Animator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Reel FX (Dallas, TX).

Interview

Entire process took around 2 weeks. General interview questions detailing the project, scope of work and team size. Asked if I had any questions. Normal stuff. Email sent a week later offering immediate position in Texas but the offer was substantially below the pay grade if someone with even a year or two of experience. Counter offer did nothing and after declining the position, a response was never even sent. Overall left me with a bad taste in my mouth for the company as a whole.

Interview Questions

Pay was substantially below experience level, even after having 4+ years of film experience. Countering did nothing.

Animator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Reel FX (Dallas, TX).

Interview

You get contacted by the artist management team probably via email and will then get an interview either over the phone or via skype. My experience was a pretty quick turnaround from interview to job offer. The artist manager was very knowledgeable and friendly and made the process very smooth for me.

Interview Questions

• Describe where you want to be in your career in 5 years.   1 Answer

Negotiation

Very easy. Again the artist manager was extremely helpful and I never felt like I was getting the round and round treatment from her. I got honest and very quick replies and it helped me make my decision to join the team.

Technical Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Reel FX (Dallas, TX) in May 2015.

Interview

Inquired about past group projects and gave a Python quiz. My programming wasn't up to par so I got nervous and flubbed it. Said I would know next week but haven't heard from them in about a month. Nice guys though.

Interview Questions

• How much group experience did you have?   1 Answer

Junior Lighter Interview

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Reel FX (Dallas, TX) in November 2014.

Interview

15 minute phone interview, in which I describe about myself and then technical questions, about my skills. They also asked questions about my reel and breakdowns. The interview consist with the lighting supervisors and artist manager.

Interview Questions

• Tell me a bit about yourself and why did you want to be part of our studio?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Reel FX (Dallas, TX).

Interview

I've heard the process can be long and drawn out but that wasn't my experience. I sent over my resume, had an interview the next day and was offered the job that afternoon. The Artist Manager was in the room as well as the Show Producer. The interview lasted about 20 minutes and I was asked about my willingness to work late hours but they did ensure me that it was more of a family focused company and that they try to allow employees to have a life and not work themselves to death. I was given a tour of the facility after the interview which was my cue that I had the job (but isn't always the case).

Interview Questions

• What is my favorite animated movie? It was only difficult since I had come from a live-action background and never really cared for animation.   Answer Question

Negotiation

They weren't that willing to negotiate, but I was coming in as a PA. I asked for more and I ended up with a 10% increase from the initial offer. I have heard that the higher ups (Editors, Line Producers, Animation Leads) can pretty much name their price and get it.

Lighting and Compositing Artist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Reel FX (Dallas, TX) in December 2012.

Interview

It was over the phone with the Lighting supervisors and they took turns asking about my demo reel, my specific role in creating the shots, and what were the greatest difficulties to achieve the final look and how I solved them.

Interview Questions

• They asked me to explain my understanding of mental ray's global illumination (at the time it was the only renderer used for my shots in my demo reel)   Answer Question

Assistant Editor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Reel FX (Dallas, TX) in February 2012.

Interview

Very friendly staff and an impressive facility. Met with 3-4 different team members and was told to apply for other positions in the future. They were working on Free Birds when I came though.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Reel FX (Dallas, TX) in March 2011.

Interview

The process was very strange. I met with a senior producer for 5 minutes before she sent me off to meet several other unprepared individuals. They seemed unaware that I was coming and had nothing to ask me. I found myself asking each of them the same questions I had written down. The interviewee never followed up with me even after I called and emailed for an update to my disappointment.

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Reel FX (Dallas, TX) in January 2011.

Interview

I was called by the Artist Manager only a few weeks after applying online. I was asked to come in for an interview on a weekday morning. I met with 3 individuals (producers) from various projects currently in production. They asked general questions about my previous work experience and my experience/interest in animation. It's a very laid back environment. I was over-dressed with a tie. Pants and a button-up would do fine.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I did not negotiate but I know that they do negotiate with incoming employees, even bottom of the ladder, entry-level positions. It's good to negotiate for a higher rate as this is a company established in the commercial industry, and under-bidding is common.

VFX Artist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Reel FX (Chicago, IL) in January 2011.

Interview

Email first contact then a phone interview. There were several people on the other end of the line. So you are interviewed by a team rather than a person. I was then contacted again via email with an offer

Interview Questions

• I was asked how I would handle specific scenarios   1 Answer