Rio Tinto Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Rio Tinto Interview Questions

Updated Apr 26, 2018

Site Support Systems Administrator Interview

Anonymous Employee in South Jordan, UT

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Rio Tinto (South Jordan, UT).

Interview

The process consisted of a few phone calls and an in-person interview. The phone calls covered the basics, in varying detail, and the interview was conducted in a relaxed and friendly atmosphere, with good humor and a nice mix of getting to know each other and technical questions.

Interview Questions

• How would you handle a General Manager calling from overseas, off-the-clock because their device stopped working?   Answer Question

Graduate Process Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at Rio Tinto in December 2017.

Interview

Very slow process. I had applied online in September. I received an email from HR to schedule a phone interview in November. Phone interview with 2 people in December. They gave me a background of the position and the company. And asked some behavioral and technical questions. They told me that I will hear back in January. After no response until January 2nd week, I emailed HR who replied that they had selected another candidate.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you used your engineering knowledge to solve a creative problem
      They also asked questions about safety   Answer Question

Talent Acquisition Interview

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at Rio Tinto.

Interview

I was contacted by someone in the recruiting department from Indeed. At first, I received an e-mail just to confirm my interest in the company and the position. About a week later, I got a phone call from a company representative from Australia (I live in the US).

She was a lovely person and the following week I was contacted by another HR rep from the US and we had a great conversion about my background, my next career goals.. etc... Problem was, a week went by and I hadn't heard anything. I reached out via e-mail and was told that the management team was traveling and we were going to "schedule the final interview" when they returned. I've never heard back from them. It's really unprofessional to string people along like that. Especially since I'm not the one who applied for this job in the first place.

Interview Questions

• What do you know about our industry?
      How many requisitions have you had to fill at once?
      Tell me about a challenging hiring manager?   Answer Question

Senior Metallurgical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Rio Tinto (Salt Lake City, UT) in November 2017.

Interview

All day interview and they paid for all the travel. It was one on one and also panel interview and included a plant tour and meeting all the supervisors in the different areas

Senior Mine Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Rio Tinto (Salt Lake City, UT).

Interview

They had an HR person follow me around all day and not say a word, but just watch me and how I interacted with their employees at the site where I was interviewing.

Interview Questions

• "Excuse me, but do you even know what we mine here?"   3 Answers

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Rio Tinto.

Interview

It takes couple weeks to appoint an interview after my resume submitted on a career fair. Mostly the questions I got asked were about BA project design and previous industrial experience in data analytics. Overall, they will focus on not only your hands-on experience, but your ability to get prepared for new business challenges in mining domain.

Interview Questions

• How would you design and organize an business analytics needs from functional teams   Answer Question

Warehouse Supervisor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boron, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Rio Tinto (Boron, CA) in August 2016.

Interview

Recruitment department has been outsourced and was not very well done. Was able to do the interview over the phone as the location is somewhat remote. Was a group panel with fairly standard questions. Company is very safety focused due to being in the mining industry. Anyone interviewing should be prepared to make safety your number one focus, and to live by it, you won't be able to fake it.

Interview Questions

• How do you promote safety in the workplace and ensure that safety is the number one priority.   Answer Question

Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boron, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Rio Tinto (Boron, CA) in January 2016.

Interview

Had phone interview, then Got scheduled for tour and face to face interview. Over all good process. Seems to be a great company to work for look forward to advancing my career

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Rio Tinto.

Interview

I applied online and received an email saying they wanted me to complete an online interview where a question would pop up on the screen and I had 30 seconds to read it, then using my webcam I had a limited amount of time to respond to the question. They were basic interview questions about how you interact with other people, talk about a time you failed, etc. Then after the online interview, I got another email asking to set up a time for a phone interview. They asked more general interview questions, and seemed to just want to get to know me. Then before the interview ended, they asked me a puzzle-type question.

Interview Questions

• Why are manholes covers round?   1 Answer

Change Management Specialist Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Rio Tinto in April 2015.

Interview

Interview was poorly organized with no follow-up. Interview was a phone-screen with 2 people. No feedback was given once the interview was completed. Very few questions were asked regarding overall experience and how it would contribute to making the candidate successful for the job itself.