Room to Read Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Room to Read Interview Questions

Updated Nov 2, 2017

3.1

Director Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Room to Read.

Interview

Extremely time-consuming (over 10 hours total in interviews). Inappropriate and illegal questions. Extended 6 hours of interviews by 90 minutes without apology. Asked for presentation on specific prompt, the criticised in interviews for presenting on irrelevant subject! And, after all of this, a form letter of rejection.

Interview Questions

• Do you, as a man, have a problem working in an office that is majority female? This is a question that violates multiple laws, and the company would be strung-up if the genders were reversed.   Answer Question
    • Tell me about some of the failures in your life, professional or personal. Answers about extreme professional challenges or overcoming difficult situations were not accepted. Pressed for "personal failures." Came from senior executive. Most offensive question ever asked in a long career.   Answer Question

Room to Read Response

Jul 20, 2017 – Recruiting Associate

We do love interviews. Like many organizations, we spend time creating thoughtful and thorough job descriptions, and we have a unique organizational culture that makes us who we are. The goal of our... More

Marketing and Communications Associate (Temporary) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Room to Read (San Francisco, CA) in September 2016.

Interview

The interview process went smoothly. I applied and was emailed about a phone interview a little over a week later. I had a phone interview with their HR associate less than a week later afterwards was sent an email the next day asking to come in for an in-person interview the following week. During the in-person interview I was given a writing test which was not difficult because they gave you resources to use. I then met with two members of the development team who were very nice and easy to talk to. They asked me better general questions and after about 30 minutes we were done. I found out 5 days later that I was not getting the job.

Interview Questions

• What skills do you want to improve in this position? What are some problems you faced in your last position? They asked about my technical capabilities.   Answer Question

Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Room to Read (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

If your application is successful the following steps will follow: Phone interview, in person interview, final round (including testing). References typically occur at the final stage, prior to receiving an offer.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to join our org? How did you first learn of us? What skills would you like to gain or strengthen by joining the team? What differences do you see between the work you did before and this role? How would you approach these differences?   1 Answer

Human Resources Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Room to Read (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

The first was a phone interview with HR/Recruiter. Then, invited in-person 2 different times to meet with team and Recruiter again. Skills test took place during the 2nd round in person interview.

Interview Questions

Interview

This was a 2 month process. I submitted my application, was contacted a few weeks later by a recruiter. We had an initial phone interview. Then scheduled an interview with 2 staff members (one on the specific team, one on another). Then scheduled an interview with 3 others + HR staff.

Interview Questions

• If I called your current manager, what critical feedback would s/he give?   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Room to Read.

Interview

Found job available on craigslist. Room to Read has a great reputation here in San Francisco. You will work extremely hard with a group of intelligent, enthusiastic colleagues who give everything to their work. My interview process took about 10 weeks from start to finish as I had to meet with multiple people in various time zones and do a ten minute presentation.

Interview Questions

• Business cases about how to handle difficult colleagues/clients.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Room to Read (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

Interviewed through college/university. Interview was very personable and informal. I got to tour the office and experience the intricacies of a corporate non-profit atmosphere. I would highly recommend applying for this position.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you exemplified leadership in a business setting.   Answer Question

Development Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Room to Read (San Francisco, CA) in October 2013.

Interview

The interview process is very thorough. I interviewed with 5 people for 4 hours total (including the first screening call). That being said, it is still relatively casual and many interviews involve a casual coffee interview to see if you're a good cultural fit for the organization. Being a culture fit on the development, PDTA, and program operations teams is key. There is less of a focus on culture fit on the finance and legal team.

Interview Questions

• Interview questions depend on who you are interviewing with, but it is important to show your connection to and passion for the mission.   1 Answer

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Room to Read (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

Contacted organization with interest to intern. Got prompt response from HR, which led to 1 phone interview with HR and 1 phone interview with program manager. Discussed mainly about interest and past experience, as well as potential assignment during internship.

Interview Questions

• No difficult or unexpected question. Basic question about resume and past experience.   Answer Question

Marketing and Communications Associate (Temporary) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Room to Read (San Francisco, CA) in May 2013.

Interview

The interview process was very standard. First, they scheduled a 30 minute phone call where they asked general questions around my interest and skill level. Next, I was called in to do in-person interviews with two employees. The office was very large and spacious and employees were very friendly. I met with each employee individually in a very small room. I was asked to bring marketing samples. Afterwards, they took quite awhile to get back to me. Then I got a very standard email back mentioning I didn't get the position.

Interview Questions

• What kind of software, i.e. Salesforce, Adobe Creative Suite, have you used and know well?   Answer Question