Ruder Finn Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Ruder Finn Interview Questions

Updated Apr 30, 2017

2.7

Executive Trainee Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Ruder Finn in April 2017.

Interview

Pretty standard application process for this type of program, including an essay and recommendations needed. I expressed interest in crisis and government affairs but ultimately ended up interviewing with the healthcare team. A few weeks after the application deadline, I was asked to do a phone interview. Pretty easy interview with three members of the healthcare team, honestly more of a conversation than being grilled with questions. A week later I received an offer. I think showing enthusiasm and curiosity was really important. They don't expect you to know all the answers as a trainee.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I interviewed at Ruder Finn (New York, NY) in March 2017.

Interview

Very disappointing experience. Applied for Ruder Finn trainee program in mid-March and heard back about a week and a half after I submitted my application. I received an email from HR, on a Monday, saying they wanted to interview me and asked for my availability, for that week. They didn't email me back until Friday asking what my availability for the following week was instead. I should have known from then that it was going to be a struggle. I finally was able to schedule my interview and had a phone interview with three women from the Healthcare team. The interview was pretty standard, nothing spectacular, still thought it went pretty decently. However, I never heard back from Ruder Finn again. Before my interview ended, I asked what the next steps were and they told me over the phone that HR would be getting back to me within the next week or so. They have not yet and I am very disappointed. Ruder Finn was in my top choices and it's sad to see how poorly managed this program is.

Senior Account Supervisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Ruder Finn (New York, NY) in January 2017.

Interview

The hiring manager is very friendly and a good person. But, I wish she had tighter oversight during the interview process. Going weeks while working a full-time job without hearing anything was draining. I'd send (somewhat timid) follow up emails asking about decision timing to the account lead as that person was my point of contact, but got such a negative vibe that I stopped following up on a weekly basis. Then I realized it was time to accept an offer from a company who demonstrated the commitment I wanted.

Interview Questions

• Tell me more about your leadership and team mentoring approach/management style; what are some of the most difficult situations you've managed.   Answer Question

Vice President Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Ruder Finn (New York, NY).

Interview

The interview process was fine, nothing out of the ordinary, good information and nice interviewer but they seem like they would hire anyone who walks through the door. They have very little current staff.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

easy, got everything I wanted

Video Producer for RFI Studios Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Ruder Finn.

Interview

Applied online, heard back from HR about a month later. Had a phone call with HR, waited 2 weeks, then phone call with head of video production for RFI Studios. Calls went well, was told that I would hear back with 2 weeks. Never heard from them again, even after reaching out. I would respect the decision if they told me they were going with someone else, but I found it very rude that both the head of the department and the hr person never replied to my emails.

Interview Questions

• How does your background prepare you for a position at RFI?   Answer Question

Executive Trainee Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Ruder Finn.

Interview

I applied via the online portal, including letters of recommendation and numerous essays, and was excited for the opportunity to be considered.

In response to my application I received silence, despite reaching out numerous times via email and twitter. I was very disappointed in the level of consideration shown and the complete lack of communication.

Senior Account Executive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Ruder Finn (New York, NY) in June 2014.

Interview

I interviewed with two separate teams on the same day. A Vice President and then a Senior Vice President and Account Supervisor. The interview process was fairly informal and they really just wanted to know about your experience to see if you would be a good potential fit. They specifically asked about experiences managing junior staff. They seemed to care a lot about the variety of experiences you had. When asking about the culture of the agency, I found that they did not seem to be very enthusiastic about it and gave cookie cutter answers.

Executive Trainee Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Ruder Finn.

Interview

Received notification via email that I had made it to the second round about 1 - 1.5 months after the application deadline. Was asked a month later to come into the office for an interview. I interviewed with an SAE, AS and VP on two different accounts (had 2 interviews in the span of a week) and was informed a day after my second interview that I had been hired. Overall, it was a very straightforward interview--most questions centered around my past experience and why I was interested in PR. The interview was encouraged to be conversational.

Interview Questions

• It wasn't that unexpected but I was asked why I was interested in healthcare which can be tricky to answer if you haven't had much experience in the field--for those who are interviewing in this practice, definitely have a good answer prepared.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Ruder Finn (New York, NY) in January 2014.

Interview

The interview process was pretty normal. I interviewed with three different teams on two different practices. It was a two-way conversation with no hard or trick questions. Also, the fact that I had no previous PR experience didn't matter. They were more interested in how my personality would fit in with the team.

Interview Questions

• What do you read to stay up to date on current events?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Ruder Finn (New York, NY).

Interview

Lengthy application that needed references. Surprisingly, my application materials were never mentioned again in the interview. There was a long period of waiting between the interview and the actual offer. At one point, I figured I hadn't gotten the job and was prepared to move on. I was sold on the company after the interview.

Interview Questions

• Very pleasant interview. Seemed like they had their mind made up even before the interview. I think they look at experience, but I think "fit," is a bigger consideration for them, since everything that you do there is teachable. They asked standard interview questions: why RF, your previous experience, etc. The entire thing lasted about 1 hour and that's because I talked most of the time. You interview with the entire team.   Answer Question