Shazam Entertainment Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Dec 4, 2016

2.5

Account Management Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Shazam Entertainment (Los Angeles, CA) in May 2016.

Interview

The interview was rather very standard. The entire interview process took about two weeks. I initially e-mailed the recruiter after seeing that the position was taken down and heard back about doing a phone interview a week later. The following week, I interviewed with the director of account management via Skype (she was based in New York while I was applying for a role in Los Angeles).

Product Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Shazam Entertainment.

Interview

A very communicative and relatively quick process. Started with a phone screen, then a talk with my manager. After that they flew me to the office to meet most of the team. Nothing crazy like case questions, just picking my brain about the industry and product I'd be working on. Very fluid process throughout!

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Again, very straightforward. We had a discussion about expectations and arrived at a very fair number. The company wants you to be happy!

Data Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Shazam Entertainment (Menlo Park, CA) in January 2014.

Interview

I was firstly attended an open hour and submitted a resume. At that time I was introduced the teams and focuses. Two week later I got the interview chance. They are overall very nice and covered my post experiences on projects. They also post their current interests that would like me to solve.

Not Disclosed Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Shazam Entertainment (San Francisco, CA) in June 2013.

Interview

This was a surprisingly poor "candidate experience", as they call it; surprising given the positive company reviews from Shazam's employees. I had applied to one of their on-line job postings, and was contacted by e-mail a couple of days later to arrange an initial phone interview with someone at their UK headquarters (the job is in the US). That call went fairly well, and I was told by the interviewer that the information would be shared with their local counterpart in San Francisco. A few days later I e-mailed as a follow-up to see if there had been interest from the person in SF, and to learn of any next-steps they might want to take.

No reply.

Another week went by, and I e-mailed again, reinforcing my interest in the role and asking if any next steps were in the works.

Again, no reply.

While never hearing back on an application seems, sadly, to be SOP these days, once a person has had any kind of personal interview, even just an initial phone screen, then it's expected as a basic courtesy that the candidate will get some kind of response. Even a semi-automated "Thanks for your interest, but..." e-mail can be sufficient. That there was no reply of any kind (even a month later now) to the e-mails sent as a follow-up makes for a very poor impression of the company.

Interview Questions

• Nothing difficult at all. It was what one would expect from a first phone screen.   1 Answer

Vice President Marketing Communications Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at Shazam Entertainment (New York, NY).

Interview

The internal recruiter is very communicative and actually does what she says, which is a plus. I liked their approach to interviewing, which was 1) a phone interview with the recruiter, 2) then a phone interview with my potential boss, and 3) then a longer meeting (90 mins) with my potential boss. My problem, which I've come across a lot in this job market, is that they seem to be holding out for this "ideal" candidate. I felt all of my interviews were successful but they can't seem to get past their own preconceptions about the position.

Interview Questions

• No unexpected questions. The conversation was what I would expect to have with a potential boss.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Shazam Entertainment (London, England (UK)) in November 2016.

Interview

Few calls with a recruiter about motivation and expectations, then an on-site interview with some engineers (some of them in a lower position than the one applying) and a final call for culture fit.
    I was the worst experience ever interviewing becuase of their recruiter. He didn't even put any effort and was really arrogant. He seemed to want me to reject the offer rather than accepting.

Interview Questions

• Many culture fit questions, some easy algorithm and data structure and a small (extremelly easy) test on the area I was applying.   Answer Question

Human Resources Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Shazam Entertainment (London, England (UK)) in August 2016.

Interview

Interview was done via a telephone call with the internal recruiter, then a Skype interview with the HRBP and then an assessment test and interview with the HRD

The first two interviews went well, but in the face-to-face interview with the HRD we had to evacuate because of a fire alarm, unfortunately this put a dampen on my interview and I don't feel I got the appropriate attention of the HRD so she could make an informed decision.

Senior Java Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Shazam Entertainment (London, England (UK)) in January 2016.

Interview

1. Skype call with the HR department
    2. Skype call with the department manager
    3. 2 Hour technical session with members of the development team, mostly TDD exercise and pair programming.

Warning : currently part of the process is broken, the technical session is being carried out by people that have a questionable (to be) seniority and are very opinionated on technologies. There is the case that you will considered as a not a good fit, just by the fact that you dont have exactly their toolset in mind or as previous skill. If you get to ask them some questions you will be amazed on some of their processes. Another weird point is that you get to be interviewed by people that you will be managing or 'leading' , or by people that have picked the tools and set up the way of work but are willing to delegate to you the day to day operations - but you wont be able to put your personal touch or choice on the actual work

Interview Questions

• If you are to build one of our systems from scratch, what technologies you would have picked   1 Answer

Recruitment Business Partner Interview

Anonymous Employee in Hammersmith, England (UK)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at Shazam Entertainment (Hammersmith, England (UK)) in September 2015.

Interview

Relaxed, informative and inquisitive. Both stages followed a structured but relaxed style of conversation. Shazam is a vibrant but professional place to work, which showed through the interview process'. It was as much about them selling the role to me as well as me selling myself to them.
    Telephone interview
    Hiring manager interview and HR interview

Interview Questions

• CV questions
      Daily activities
      My experience within roles recruited for
      Scenario based questions
      How I like to operate
      1 Answer

Technical Lead Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Shazam Entertainment (London, England (UK)) in February 2015.

Interview

I was invited to a face-to-face interview with the hiring manager with a few days of applying. I was annoyed that I had to take the afternoon of work to attend rather than just do a telephone call. He poked holes in my experience. Not sure why they bothered to interview me when they knew I didn;t have the experience.