Shazam Entertainment Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Sep 9, 2017

2.4

Executive Assistant/Office Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. I interviewed at Shazam Entertainment (New York, NY) in January 2017.

Interview

There were 3 rounds in the hiring process with 3 different people, each round was a positive experience.
    Questions were somewhat standard: what would I do in certain situations, what are my straights and weaknesses etc. All interviewers were very pleasant and straightforward.

Account Management Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Shazam Entertainment (Los Angeles, CA) in May 2016.

Interview

The interview was rather very standard. The entire interview process took about two weeks. I initially e-mailed the recruiter after seeing that the position was taken down and heard back about doing a phone interview a week later. The following week, I interviewed with the director of account management via Skype (she was based in New York while I was applying for a role in Los Angeles).

Product Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Shazam Entertainment.

Interview

A very communicative and relatively quick process. Started with a phone screen, then a talk with my manager. After that they flew me to the office to meet most of the team. Nothing crazy like case questions, just picking my brain about the industry and product I'd be working on. Very fluid process throughout!

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Again, very straightforward. We had a discussion about expectations and arrived at a very fair number. The company wants you to be happy!

Data Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Shazam Entertainment (Menlo Park, CA) in January 2014.

Interview

I was firstly attended an open hour and submitted a resume. At that time I was introduced the teams and focuses. Two week later I got the interview chance. They are overall very nice and covered my post experiences on projects. They also post their current interests that would like me to solve.

Not Disclosed Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Shazam Entertainment (San Francisco, CA) in June 2013.

Interview

This was a surprisingly poor "candidate experience", as they call it; surprising given the positive company reviews from Shazam's employees. I had applied to one of their on-line job postings, and was contacted by e-mail a couple of days later to arrange an initial phone interview with someone at their UK headquarters (the job is in the US). That call went fairly well, and I was told by the interviewer that the information would be shared with their local counterpart in San Francisco. A few days later I e-mailed as a follow-up to see if there had been interest from the person in SF, and to learn of any next-steps they might want to take.

No reply.

Another week went by, and I e-mailed again, reinforcing my interest in the role and asking if any next steps were in the works.

Again, no reply.

While never hearing back on an application seems, sadly, to be SOP these days, once a person has had any kind of personal interview, even just an initial phone screen, then it's expected as a basic courtesy that the candidate will get some kind of response. Even a semi-automated "Thanks for your interest, but..." e-mail can be sufficient. That there was no reply of any kind (even a month later now) to the e-mails sent as a follow-up makes for a very poor impression of the company.

Interview Questions

• Nothing difficult at all. It was what one would expect from a first phone screen.   1 Answer

Vice President Marketing Communications Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at Shazam Entertainment (New York, NY).

Interview

The internal recruiter is very communicative and actually does what she says, which is a plus. I liked their approach to interviewing, which was 1) a phone interview with the recruiter, 2) then a phone interview with my potential boss, and 3) then a longer meeting (90 mins) with my potential boss. My problem, which I've come across a lot in this job market, is that they seem to be holding out for this "ideal" candidate. I felt all of my interviews were successful but they can't seem to get past their own preconceptions about the position.

Interview Questions

• No unexpected questions. The conversation was what I would expect to have with a potential boss.   Answer Question

Scala Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Shazam Entertainment (London, England (UK)) in August 2017.

Interview

I was contacted by an independent recruiter first. That part was a positive experience. After the initial recruiter call, I had a call with Shazam HR. Interviewer asked me cliche classic HR interview questions such as "What is your biggest achievement" and etc. The tone of the person was very distracted and distant. That tone then continued throughout the interview process. All emails were sent in a very disinterested and cold tone. It's like they actually don't want to hire anybody but just doing a show. Anyways, after HR phone call, I moved onto technical phone call. I was asked Scala and functional programming questions there, nothing unexpected. Then we moved onto the technical interview in Shazam office. I was interviewed by the hiring manager and one junior engineer. They asked me a very cliche interview question (Palindrome) and I solved it with 3 different methods. The odd bit was palindrome is not a very good functional programming question because it is very easy to solve it with Scala. Then we had some higher level system design questions and the interview was over. This interview took around 2-2.5 hours. Eventually I was offered a lower salary than I expected and had to decline. After my decline email I received no further response from Shazam HR again.

Interview Questions

• Palindrome with TDD. Hiring manager was a bit disturbed when I told him that I used to do interviews and I know this question by heart.   Answer Question

Technical Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Shazam Entertainment (London, England (UK)) in March 2017.

Interview

Applied a while back and received an automated message from the job board that my application has been successful. Waited a couple of weeks and chased up the recruiter for some feedback. He responded about 4-5 days later and managed to arrange an interview with the Line manager. The interview was more about the challenges that the new Technical PM will face. The line manager was fairly knowledgeable of the market, problems issues & processes and gave me a good understanding of what is expected. Unfortunately I did not go through to the second round of interviewing as I was lacking experience in the sector though they said they advertise the role for 4-5 months now (!!). I guess they are being very picky as to who will fit the role. The recruiter (internal) did not get back to me at all, i had to chase him a couple of times to get the outcome of my telephone interview.
    Advice to Shazam: considering this is a well known organisation be a bit more "pro-active" when hiring Seniors. Though the team seems to be quite competent, the recruiting facade does not seem to be bothered at all..

Interview Questions

• Walkthrough of existing SDLC and related questions on your understanding. Fairly easy for someone with adequate experience in the market.   Answer Question

Service Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Shazam Entertainment (London, England (UK)) in March 2017.

Interview

I went into their process because my University careers service advised me to do so. I contacted the recruiter and he put me in one of their "Hack days" without really asking what I was searching for in the internship position.

The Hack day itself was overall enjoyable, the engineers were friendly. The recruiter led us on a tour of their offices before the start of the real challenge. We had 4 options but the task was more or less the same: query a database and print the results on a nice webpage (a presentation of our results was required at the end of the time limit). They hold interviews with the engineers at the end of the day, where they asked about our personal projects and motivation for the job, and we also had a concert.

I'm only disappointed in the fact that they had also organised a hack day the week before around mobile applications, and I would have been more interested in this one, but the recruiter didn't say anything about it. They actually didn't have enough candidates for the service engineering internship so they asked students from the first hack day (apps) to come and try this one (with almost nobody knowing what was going on).

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Shazam Entertainment (London, England (UK)) in November 2016.

Interview

Few calls with a recruiter about motivation and expectations, then an on-site interview with some engineers (some of them in a lower position than the one applying) and a final call for culture fit.
    I was the worst experience ever interviewing becuase of their recruiter. He didn't even put any effort and was really arrogant. He seemed to want me to reject the offer rather than accepting.

Interview Questions

• Many culture fit questions, some easy algorithm and data structure and a small (extremelly easy) test on the area I was applying.   Answer Question