Simmons & Simmons Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Simmons & Simmons Interview Questions

Updated Apr 26, 2017

Trainee Solicitor Interview

Interview

Very intense day with very little time between each exercise. There was an hour long written exercise, with a five minute break before being moved on to a document review exercise. This was assessed by a partner, who then asked a few compentency based questions, one commercial awareness question. Then, a group exercise with all other candidates. This felt very artifical and we quickly agreed on the best course of action, which meant other candiates felt the need to waffle in order to fill up the remaining time.

Vacation Scheme Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Simmons & Simmons (London, England (UK)) in March 2017.

Interview

Overall, a really positive application experience.
    Stages:
    1) Online application form- why Simmons & Simmons? Why commercial law? Your skills for the role?
    2) Online judgement test- series of scenarios where you graded the listed responses you would undertake; not timed.
    3) Online ability tests and video interview- two timed tests: verbal (locating answers from a body of text) and logical (choosing the missing symbol in the sequence given, similar to an IQ test). The video interview consisted of five questions (the first 30 seconds in duration and the remainder 90 seconds), with 240 seconds to prepare for each one.
    4) Assessment centre:
    -document exercise and competency interview- 30 mins to read an Agreement individually; 50 mins interview with Partner/Associate- 30 mins given to discussion on the Agreement and 20 mins to general competency questions.
    -written exercise- 1 hour to assimilate a few pages of information and draw up a report to the firm based on the brief you have been set. This stage of the assessment centre was what I found most challenging, and time management is really important. I would recommend spending a bit less time planning, and more time writing up the report to ensure you finish within the hour!
    -lunch in the staff restaurant with two trainees- opportunity to ask questions and get a feel for the firm.
    -interactive exercise: completed with all the interviewees and split into a few parts: 1) 5 mins to individually digest the brief and plan some ideas; 2) the group is split in half with 15 mins to discuss your ideas, and a further 5 mins to conclude thoughts and decide upon the chosen two initiatives; 3) the two groups join together, with 15 mins to discuss the combined four initiatives and decide upon the two that will be pursued.
    The Assessment Centre was actually not as nerve-wracking as it could have been (which is a credit to the firm), and the day flew by. Come prepared with a few commercial issues to discuss and answers to a range of competency questions, but just try to relax and be yourself.

Summer Vacation Scheme Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Simmons & Simmons (London, England (UK)).

Interview

Video interview included basic competency based questions as well as industry-knowledge type questions. The whole interview lasts around 10 minutes, and you are given 60 seconds to prepare for your answer before the camera starts rolling. Video interviews are known to be very impersonal so it's important to always look at the camera and relax.

Winter Vac Scheme Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Simmons & Simmons (London, England (UK)) in December 2016.

Interview

Written exercise, contract analysis + interview and then group exercise. The written exercise was quite straightforward. The Contract analysis was very difficult, as I had no idea what they are looking for. Also having to do an interview at the same time was confusing. The group exercise was difficult because the instructions were not clear.

Interview Questions

• Answering the senior associate's questions was the most difficult. He's questions were focused on force majeur events   Answer Question

Vacation Scheme Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Simmons & Simmons (London, England (UK)) in November 2016.

Interview

An arduous process of an application form, a situational judgement test, video interview consisting of 5 questions, logical reason test and verbal reasoning test... In order to even get an invitation to an Assessment Centre, to fight with 5 other kids for a vacation scheme position, which might not necessarily lead to a training contract.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to become a commercial solicitor? Why Simmons & Simmons?   Answer Question

Paralegal Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Luxembourg (Luxembourg)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Simmons & Simmons (Luxembourg (Luxembourg)) in February 2016.

Interview

Face to face interview, you are in front of two partners and a HR employee. The interview takes place in the building of the company. They send you an email beforehand telling you who will interview you. They make you wait in the conference room and then enter in for the Interview. Mine lasted only for 20 minutes.

Interview Questions

• Describe yourself, technical questions related to the area of employment, past experiences, why us   Answer Question

other offers

Paralegal Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bristol, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Simmons & Simmons (Bristol, England (UK)) in September 2015.

Interview

Really comfortable and casual. One-on-one with a partner who was easygoing and chatty. I was expecting a more rigorous, technical interview but no finance knowledge was required. I heard back with an offer within a couple of days, though this was from a different member of staff. Came out of the interview feeling as if I hadn't been interviewed (rather, had an informal chat).

Interview Questions

• Whether I had any administrative experience and to elaborate on the role and skills acquired.   Answer Question

Work Experience Interview

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at Simmons & Simmons.

Interview

The hiring goes online, no interview, it's soly based on your CV. No interview has been done, they evaluate your CV and based on that you get/or not get the job. At most they could ask some motivation questions and it's all done by email.

Legal Secretary Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Simmons & Simmons.

Interview

It was ok, old-style interviewing, Q&A. General testing but nothing too difficult. I was seen by 2 people that I would be working under. They were very pleasant and professional.

Paralegal Interview

Interview

I applied through a recruiter, the process didnt take long about a week. They asked me questions such as my experience in law, motivation, a lot of cv based questions, as well as my language proficiency in any foreign languages. experience of using some softwares such as relativity would be benificial