Sky Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Sky Interview Questions

Updated Mar 23, 2017

3.1

Cashier Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Sky in November 2013.

Interview

Easy try to be plain and not to drag

Home Service Field Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Warrington, North West England, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Sky (Warrington, North West England, England (UK)).

Interview

Online application followed by online test which involved a psychometric assesment, if you pass this stage (you will notified by email at the end of the vacancy date and sky will email you to let you know and a telephone interview will be arranged (usually at their own convinience). Questions will be why do you have a passion for customer service and tell me a time when youve worked as as a team (stuff like that) If you pass the telephone interview (they tell you on on the phone) you will then wait a few days for another call to tell you an assessment date (again at skys own convinience, so be prepared to be available whenever) assesment day normally at a hotel not too far from your home for me Liverpool it was Warrington holiday inn, woolston grange. Assesment day included an external assessor and 2 fairly local team engineers and the assesor who did not work for sky he was just a contractor who sky hire for job interviews he had never picked up a tool in his life so he or she will be looking for strength based candidates and someone who is good on the day regardless of how you will perform on the job! So be outgoing, be confident and basically stand out but in a professional manner. The day took 3.5 hours roughly and consisted of a online intro to the sky role (which you can just youtube yourself) then moving tables out of the way to look at how you move furniture, then we Had to build a Meccano set with random pieces and no details of what to build and how to build in our groups (there was only 2 of us) so we split up back to back facing away from each other and relay the instructions to the other candidate' so he can build what i built from nothing then vice versa i built his set by him telling me the instructions, Then we compared. Then we had to do a job schedule excercise puttin your days jobs in order from a-h with hazards and other issues like texts from customers so rearrange as needed, you need to use time scales and dont forget to include your lunch hour allocation on this task(which is critical to the assessor) and the text from FRED at the bottom of the sheet asking for help!!!Then role play to the assessor in another room about were about you would install satellite dish on the given housing diagram (which you have 15 mins to look at plan before hand before you actually do the role play) then by jotting down hazards of the property(which may affect your task installing the dish and wiring.In the role play the assessor acting as the customer will ask awkward questions like but i dont want the dish in that location why cant it be in this place and you need to be quick thinking for this as its just like speaking to a customer (so again be confident people) .Then after this task you will need to tick off 10 stength based questions why you like helping others tick either thats me or thats a bit like me or not very much like me but then again in anothe room the assessor will go over everything you have ticked and question why you ticked it so if the one of the questions is for example 'why do you like helping others?' Dont tick its a bit like me, because he will ask ok then so whats you makes you believe its only a bit like you so theres two sides to each answer to explain when he asks. If at the end you are offered a position, you will have to go a do medical with a nurse who told me you have to do give a urine sample to test for glucose which is weird as you already tell then beforehand any medical conditions! So it will be a drug test more like so if youve been to Amsterdam and smoked legally or smoke just like people like to drink alcohol on the weekends, then youll have to detox for the interview as they test for THC aswell as other drugs. Be confident, theyre not bothered about your practical skills even if your a fully qualified electrician! Be confident and prep your strength based questions and stand out but in a good way also try to look for job schedule assesments online and practice!!!

Training Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Interview

Useless! The recruitment person from Sky got in touch with me(via Linkedin) and asked me for a convenient time to speak. Then he began to avoid me when I tried to get in touch with him. If he filled the position, the least he could do would be to inform me the position was closed. Or ma be there wasn't an available position and he lied! Seemed dodgy to me!

Tele Sales Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dunfermline, Scotland (UK)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Sky (Dunfermline, Scotland (UK)).

Interview

Process didn't take long.interviewed with 2 other people.had to pick 3 words from a list to best describe good customer service and explain your choices with the group.then a sit down with someone going through general work related experiences.then a 1 on 1 mock phone call with a customer who wants to cancel and you were to win them back

Home Service Field Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Birmingham, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Sky (Birmingham, England (UK)) in February 2017.

Interview

Initial screening after you apply and they read your CV and cover letter .
    Then onto a phone interview that is arranges by the recruitment team at a time to suit you,
    Then you get an invite to the assessment centre at a location not too far away.
    You then get told on the day if you have passed that stage. Once Driving licence and checks are done you have a medical on site with the nurse.

Interview Questions

• Phone - What health & safety issues could be associated with your role and what hazzards should you expect to encounter   1 Answer
    • Phone - Explain why you are passionate about Health and safety & a time where you have taken it into consideration or put it in place   1 Answer
    • Phone - Why do you want this role, why are you passionate about it and why do you want to work for sky?   1 Answer
    • Assessment Centre - Group session split into groups , you get a bag of mechano sets & haveto build a model as a team. Then without looking you have to explain exactly how you built it & they haveto copy   1 Answer
    • You get given a diagram of a house, a few points where a dish can be installed. Some hazzards that could affect your job & a list of satalite specifications (what the rules are about applying the satalite). You then have decidebwhere tonput the dish, trail the wire and why. Then the assessor plays the role pf the customer , you haveto explain why you want to put it & how to get rid of the hazards   1 Answer
    • Assessment Centre- You get given a list of jobs split into AM, PM and Any time. You have a start time & a map of your jobs. You have 15 minutes to put these jobs in order to plan your day using the map and job points   1 Answer
    • Assessment centre - Strength Based interview, you have a questionare you fill out , eg - i am bery pssionate about helping others   1 Answer

Project Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Sky.

Interview

Telephone interview followed by two rounds of face to face interviews with different levels of staff at Sky. Friendly and informal throughout, with the intent to draw out more than you would during interviews based around rehearsed competency questions.

Customer Service Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Sky.

Interview

Phone and open day assessments and then a one to one interview with a competency questions asked regarding targets dealing with customers and how did i handle them and if productive

Media Planner Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Sky (London, England (UK)) in February 2017.

Interview

A Phone interview with two team members - not the managers which lasted around 30 mins.
    Followed by a 2nd face to face interview with a media plan task 8 days later.

The task was very generic, create a media plan for a 10 part UK Drama for Sky Atlantic using Sky Inventory. Think about how your plan would differ if after episode one the entire series was launched on sky boxsets.
    Media plans are completely subjective so it is helpful to know what kind of audience you would like a plan for, that would test the media planners knowledge of the audiences for each channel.

Interview Questions

• There were 2 interviewers, they seemed to do this good cop bad cop performance, one was nice, the other passive aggressive. It's 2017 it's a little outdated for me personally.

They had developed a new interview process with new questions that they were trying out for the first time and to be honest, they were extremely boring. They even looked bored asking me and I was often stuck for an answer because it was so dry. You need to develop an interview plan that is far more engaging.

E.g. Interviewer 1: When was the last time you made a mistake and how did you rectify it? (this was one of 3 questions about making mistakes)

Me: I have checks in place to make sure that I make minimal mistakes but we all make mistakes and they are integral to the learning process and doing a better job as long as you move on from them. For example in the reports I currently process and submit to a wider team I treble check my results and at times I ask a team member to help check or for assistance if necessary.

E.g. Interviewer 2: What do you do if you need to learn something new and you don't know how?

Me: Find out who knows and ask them, next time I can do it myself.

E.g. Do you know what adsmart is?
      Me. No
      Interviewer 2:: For example when I got engaged (throws left had up to display her ring) my facebook feed began targeting me with wedding content...THEN when I got married it began to advertise baby, baby, baby content.'

So basically in a nutshell it is a software that allows you to specifically target viewers based on minute details such as where they live, their interests, what pet they own etc...

Interviewer 1 had his sleeve in his mouth throughout the second half.

The problem in the UK is very simple, people think that because they are interviewing that they are free to do whatever they want and that they too are not being reviewed, which is in fact the opposite of what is happening.
      Answer Question

Sales Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Sky (Glasgow, Scotland (UK)) in February 2017.

Interview

Stage 1: online test.
    Stage 2: telephone competency based interview (using the STAR technique, although you can combine tasks and actions under the remit of "the tasks and actions I undertook were as follows").
    Stage 3: assessment day (called "activity day").

Assessment day:

Introductory part (not assessed): Getting to know each other exercise -- find out one fact that is interesting, one that is unique, and one that is in common.

Stage 1: "Passion for the customer" Exercise

Firstly, circle 3 items on a provided sheet that you feel represent excellent customer service. Write them in the three boxes below, and explain in the adjacent boxes *why* you have selected each choice.

Secondly, discuss your choices with 2 other candidates in-front of an assessor. From each of your choices of 3 (9 in total), come to an agreement on what is the single most important aspect of customer service.

----------
    Stage 2: A (purported) strength based interview that comes in two parts.

First part: select, on a provided sheet, whether a set of attributes are something that sound "very like you", "a bit like you", or "not at all like you". Purportedly, there are "no right answers". Whether you believe that or not is up to you.

Second part: sit with an assessor and justify every choice on the sheet, row by row. You are asked *why* you selected each choice.

Conclusion: this is not what I would describe as an "open" strength based interview, where you are asked a set of questions (typically around 10-12) that can be found online under the search "strength based interview".

----------
    Stage 3: First, attempt to assimilate several sheets of information about Sky television and broadband products in an uncomfortably limited time. Then, "Role play" a telephone call where a customer is phoning to cancel their Sky subscription. Ask the customer as many open questions as you can. Find what they like about their subscription, and what they use in it. Find what they *don't* like and *don't* use so much. Ask the customer if they would be willing to change to another package, and make a recommendation based on what you have learned from them.

While stages 2 and 3 are on-going (and candidates are called individually from the group to sit them), the group is given ancillary group tasks to as a distraction, which prevents meaningful preparation.

Interview Questions

• Telephone competency interview question -- Can you give me an example of when you have persuaded a customer?   Answer Question

Service Strategy Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Sky (London, England (UK)) in February 2017.

Interview

This was a twenty minute telephone interview. The human resources manager asked ridiculous questions such as have you ever had a major commercial disaster in your career. If I had had a major commercial disaster why would I tell her about it. Furthermore this question insinuated that I had had a major commercial disaster. I don't think that insulting candidates is a good recruitment strategy.

Interview Questions

• Have you ever had a major commercial disaster in your career?   Answer Question