Slaughter and May Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Slaughter and May Interview Questions

Updated Apr 15, 2017

3.8

Training Contract Interview

Interview

Applied through New York job fair. Interviewed with 2 partners. Very difficult, they follow up on every answer so don't say things if you not willing to follow up on them. Be ready to justify your low grades, and if you don't have any corporate classes be ready to justify that too.

ISIP Trainee/Placement Opportunities Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Slaughter and May (New York, NY) in January 2015.

Interview

The interview is short because of the nature of the foreign attorney ISIP fair in NYC, but was very much focused on what was given in the resume. They had not requested transcripts in their posting but I brought them anyway which was a great idea because they asked about grades. It is important to note that there are a lot of questions surrounding academics and goals.

Interview Questions

• Explained my background(where Im from, where Ive schooled etc), Why I pursued an LL.M. in America, Why I didn't directly pursue a Trainee contract 2nd year of my LL.B., Why I got x,y,z grades in certain classes, How I improved, Why I didn't return back to my home country since they needed more attorneys.   1 Answer

Trainee Solicitor Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Slaughter and May in April 2017.

Interview

Written exercise (write a report offering legal advice), 15 mins (which turned out to be 35 mins) to read a short current affairs article and formulate my views, 1 hour interview with partners, Tour with Trainee and short HR interview. Very long time giving response which took away from the experience.

Interview Questions

• Why was it essential for UK lawyers to have an understanding of the law of other jurisdictions?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Slaughter and May (London, England (UK)).

Interview

First, a lady from HR came and took me into a room to do the test. I was given a few sheets of paper with information and emails and was asked to write a business strategy in an hour.

After an hour the HR lady came back and took me back to the reception area. I had 15 or so mins to read a business news article. In the interview with two partners, they first asked me to summarise the article and then what I thought about it. They will play devils advocate a bit but find a logical argument and stay your ground. Then the partners asked about my CV and my motivation for studying x, moving y, and wanting to start a career in law/at their firm.

After the interview, a trainee picks you up and shows you around the office. Then a short, rather informal, interview with HR. She mostly asked how I think it all went. I was pretty tired at this point and dehydrated as they only gave me one glass of water during the three hours.

Found out within a week. In their feedback (2+ months later), they only focused on the interview with the partners, so I would assume it is the most important part by far. Don´t forget to smile and show that you´re excited to be there!

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Slaughter and May (London, England (UK)) in September 2016.

Interview

Half-day interview:
    I applied online and received an invitation to interview within 2 weeks.
    (1) Case study test
    Taken to a room with a computer to review a a business case study and write up my summary and recommendations within 1 hour.

(2) Article review
    Given 20 minutes to read a business news article; was allowed to take notes to gather my thoughts.

(3) Partner interview
    I was asked to summarise the article and then give me thoughts on it, then we launched into a general discussion where they played devils advocate and challenged my position. We later moved to personal background questions to find out my motivations for applying to their firm and relevant experiences I have had. We also discussed subjects I read in university.

(4) Trainee tour: Informal tour around the office with a trainee

(5) HR-debrief

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Slaughter and May (London, England (UK)) in May 2016.

Interview

Very simple, upload cover letter with CV. Invited to interview the following month. Begins with a written exercise reviewing a business and advising on the best course of action, with only one hour in which to read the information and formulate the letter. Then presented with short article on CEO's pay which was later discussed in the interview with two partners. Interview also consisted of cv based questions and a recent case S&M had been involved with.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Slaughter and May (London, England (UK)) in April 2015.

Interview

Started off with a 1-hour written exercise. Was then provided a current article to read for 15 minutes from the FT. The two partners who interviewed me were very friendly and approachable. Be careful not to let them catch you off guard with this. They will ask you a multitude of questions starting from your CV and cover letter (asking you why you chose x and y, what would you have done differently if you had a choice), then they will catch on to your answers and sentences and ask deeper questions as the interview goes along.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Slaughter and May (London, England (UK)) in March 2015.

Interview

Cover letter + CV followed by a personality questionnaire. The most efficient and effective application process compared to all other law firms.

I applied at the end of the year and was invited for an interview at the end of February.

Interview Questions

• I don't think the firm has set interview questions. It operates like a conversation and they ask questions as they go along. They started off with asking me to talk through my CV.

As I was doing this they would stop and ask questions about my experience, why I was interested in corporate law.

There is also an article exercise which was the most challenging part of the interview and it is where I really messed up! I expected something from the Financial Times about the current QE programme/something very finance orientated. I was given an article from the Sunday Times and I realised for this exercise you don't necessarily need to have an in-depth knowledge of finance...just have a lot of common sense and be confident in articulating your opinion- be prepared to be challenged on your thinking!
      Answer Question

Application

Interview

After filling out an application form, should you be successful, you are invited to their offices for the next stage of the process. Everything is done individually (no other interviewees were there when I was).
    Starts off with a one hour exercise - you are given a pile of documents and you need to formulate and recommend a policy outcome from these documents. Pretty straight forward. You can choose to type or handwrite your answer.
    Following this, you are interviewed by two partners. Before you go into the interview room, you are given a newspaper article which you have around 20 minutes to read. Formulate and opinion and an argument about this article because it forms the second half of your interview.
    The interview starts off as expected, you talk about yourself and things you've done at University. They'll pick out a subject you studied at university and try debate you on it. They will play devils advocate with the intention of seeing how you cope under pressure. Be prepared to defend your point rigorously.
    They put me under a LOT of pressure for subject choices and opinions, so don't be put off if they seem quite rude etc.
    NOTE: If you're applying as a Non-Lawyer (like I was), be extremely prepared to answer 'why you want to work for us'. Do NOT come up with cliche answers to this question because they see right through it, and again, they will put pressure on you. You have to really sell why you want to work for them.
    Second half of the interview was regarding the newspaper article. They'll ask your opinion on it, whether you agree with it etc, then they'll start debating you on the points, again, in an attempt to play devils advocate in order to put you under pressure. The newspaper article can be on anything from politics to economics to law etc. Best thing to do is read up on news a LOT before you have your interviews.
    Come up with good questions to ask them at the end of the interview.
    The interview goes by quickly, after which you're given a tour around the offices by a trainee (i.e, someone in the position of the job you're going for). You can ask less formal questions to this individual because this stage is (apparently) not assessed.
    Finally, you'll have a short interview with a HR representative. I felt like I'd been slaughtered (forgive the pun) in the interview so I was quite shaken up at the HR interview, so sadly I can't offer much insight! Overall, however, I had a positive experience and I learnt a lot from the day.

NB: I've noticed other people writing that the partners can be quite friendly. Don't let this put your guard down!! I went in expecting two friendly people, instead I got two quite stern partners. Remember, friendly in London terms is not friendly in terms of other parts of the UK!! Go in prepared to get annihilated and you'll have a better shot.

Interview Questions

• WHY do you want to work for us? Why not other law firms? Why law in general?   Answer Question

Vacation Scheme Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Slaughter and May in January 2015.

Interview

I filled in an application form online and then after a few weeks was asked to an interview. The interview was with a partner and a senior associate. It covered my academic background, why I want to do law. We also had a discussion about an article I had been given to read beforehand.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to do corporate law and not, say, family law?   Answer Question