Slaughter and May Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Slaughter and May Interview Questions

Updated Jan 8, 2018

3.9

Training Contract Interview

Interview

Applied through New York job fair. Interviewed with 2 partners. Very difficult, they follow up on every answer so don't say things if you not willing to follow up on them. Be ready to justify your low grades, and if you don't have any corporate classes be ready to justify that too.

ISIP Trainee/Placement Opportunities Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Slaughter and May (New York, NY) in January 2015.

Interview

The interview is short because of the nature of the foreign attorney ISIP fair in NYC, but was very much focused on what was given in the resume. They had not requested transcripts in their posting but I brought them anyway which was a great idea because they asked about grades. It is important to note that there are a lot of questions surrounding academics and goals.

Interview Questions

• Explained my background(where Im from, where Ive schooled etc), Why I pursued an LL.M. in America, Why I didn't directly pursue a Trainee contract 2nd year of my LL.B., Why I got x,y,z grades in certain classes, How I improved, Why I didn't return back to my home country since they needed more attorneys.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Slaughter and May (London, England (UK)).

Interview

Did a written exercise on a meeting room on my own then had an interview with two partners. Went on a tour with a trainee then had an "informal" interview with HR

Training Contract Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Slaughter and May (London, England (UK)) in November 2017.

Interview

1. A written exercise (write a business strategy)
    2. Interview with two Partners
    3. HR interview (15 minutes)

Partner interview: The first half of my interview was based on the Partners getting to know me/my motivations. The second half of my interview was based on the FT article (15 minutes to prepare before the interview). The Partners were both really friendly, but they definitely tested me. You need to think on your feet! My interview felt more like a conversation than an interview.

Interview Questions

• 1. Why Commercial law?
      2. Where is your favourite place to travel?
      3. What are the downsides of the multi-specialist approach?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Slaughter and May (London, England (UK)) in August 2017.

Interview

After sending my CV I was invited for an interview. I had to complete an online personality test and during the day I had to do a written case study and an interview with two partners. The conversation was quite combative but active and very interesting. They were looking for well phrased answers backed up but reasons.

Interview Questions

• Questions about my CV and a lot of debate on the FT article I had to read before.   Answer Question

Training Contract Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Slaughter and May (London, England (UK)) in July 2017.

Interview

Interview consisted of a one hour written exercise (case study, very time pressured) and then an interview with 2 partners. This was around 45 minutes and was not competency based. Largely focused on my CV and experience and why in particular I wanted this firm. They then moved onto the newspaper article discussion (which i had been given to read 15 minutes before interview) and debated me on the topic. This was largely to see how you were able to think on your feet and how well you can structure arguments. After this there was a short, informal HR interview.

Interview Questions

• Explain one interesting aspect of Intellectual Property law?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Slaughter and May (London, England (UK)) in July 2017.

Interview

Gained a place on the Easter vacation scheme through covering letter and interview which took place in April 2017. I then applied for the training contract in summer and I was offered an interview. This consisted of a partner interview (2 partners in my case), need to be confident in answers as they press, and a written task (45 minutes to write plan based on info given).

Interview Questions

• Given 30 mins to read article on brexit: asked 'Does Theresa May have a mandate to lead Britain through brexit?'   Answer Question
    • Where else have you applied and why?   Answer Question
    • Why Slaughter and May?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Slaughter and May (London, England (UK)) in May 2017.

Interview

Very straightforward interview process consisting of an online application, interview and case study exercise. Interview with partners was extremely challenging. They were both very intimidating and did their best to make me feel uneasy and unsure of every answer I gave. Was not a pleasant experience!

Trainee Solicitor Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Slaughter and May in April 2017.

Interview

Written exercise (write a report offering legal advice), 15 mins (which turned out to be 35 mins) to read a short current affairs article and formulate my views, 1 hour interview with partners, Tour with Trainee and short HR interview. Very long time giving response which took away from the experience.

Interview Questions

• Why was it essential for UK lawyers to have an understanding of the law of other jurisdictions?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Slaughter and May (London, England (UK)) in March 2017.

Interview

Writing task (a mock managemetn consultancy report- quite time pressured); interview (tough- very rigourous questioning); tour (fine- certain the trainees report back though); another interveiw (ver interested to know which other law firms I had applied for.