Slaughter and May Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Slaughter and May Interview Questions

Interviews at Slaughter and May

3.7

Training Contract Interview

Interview

Applied through New York job fair. Interviewed with 2 partners. Very difficult, they follow up on every answer so don't say things if you not willing to follow up on them. Be ready to justify your low grades, and if you don't have any corporate classes be ready to justify that too.

ISIP Trainee/Placement Opportunities Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Slaughter and May (New York, NY) in January 2015.

Interview

The interview is short because of the nature of the foreign attorney ISIP fair in NYC, but was very much focused on what was given in the resume. They had not requested transcripts in their posting but I brought them anyway which was a great idea because they asked about grades. It is important to note that there are a lot of questions surrounding academics and goals.

Interview Questions

• Explained my background(where Im from, where Ive schooled etc), Why I pursued an LL.M. in America, Why I didn't directly pursue a Trainee contract 2nd year of my LL.B., Why I got x,y,z grades in certain classes, How I improved, Why I didn't return back to my home country since they needed more attorneys.   1 Answer

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oxford, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Slaughter and May (Oxford, England (UK)) in March 2013.

Interview

Read an article before the interview on governments accessing personal data to improve security.
    Entered the room and met my interviews
    Discussed my background and career aspirations with the interviewers
    Summarised the article and my view of it
    Defended this view against interrogation from the interviewers
    Had the opportunity to ask the interviewers questions

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Slaughter and May (London, England (UK)) in March 2015.

Interview

After filling out an application form, should you be successful, you are invited to their offices for the next stage of the process. Everything is done individually (no other interviewees were there when I was).
    Starts off with a one hour exercise - you are given a pile of documents and you need to formulate and recommend a policy outcome from these documents. Pretty straight forward. You can choose to type or handwrite your answer.
    Following this, you are interviewed by two partners. Before you go into the interview room, you are given a newspaper article which you have around 20 minutes to read. Formulate and opinion and an argument about this article because it forms the second half of your interview.
    The interview starts off as expected, you talk about yourself and things you've done at University. They'll pick out a subject you studied at university and try debate you on it. They will play devils advocate with the intention of seeing how you cope under pressure. Be prepared to defend your point rigorously.
    They put me under a LOT of pressure for subject choices and opinions, so don't be put off if they seem quite rude etc.
    NOTE: If you're applying as a Non-Lawyer (like I was), be extremely prepared to answer 'why you want to work for us'. Do NOT come up with cliche answers to this question because they see right through it, and again, they will put pressure on you. You have to really sell why you want to work for them.
    Second half of the interview was regarding the newspaper article. They'll ask your opinion on it, whether you agree with it etc, then they'll start debating you on the points, again, in an attempt to play devils advocate in order to put you under pressure. The newspaper article can be on anything from politics to economics to law etc. Best thing to do is read up on news a LOT before you have your interviews.
    Come up with good questions to ask them at the end of the interview.
    The interview goes by quickly, after which you're given a tour around the offices by a trainee (i.e, someone in the position of the job you're going for). You can ask less formal questions to this individual because this stage is (apparently) not assessed.
    Finally, you'll have a short interview with a HR representative. I felt like I'd been slaughtered (forgive the pun) in the interview so I was quite shaken up at the HR interview, so sadly I can't offer much insight! Overall, however, I had a positive experience and I learnt a lot from the day.

NB: I've noticed other people writing that the partners can be quite friendly. Don't let this put your guard down!! I went in expecting two friendly people, instead I got two quite stern partners. Remember, friendly in London terms is not friendly in terms of other parts of the UK!! Go in prepared to get annihilated and you'll have a better shot.

Interview Questions

• WHY do you want to work for us? Why not other law firms? Why law in general?   Answer Question

Application

Interview

Cover letter + CV followed by a personality questionnaire. The most efficient and effective application process compared to all other law firms.

I applied at the end of the year and was invited for an interview at the end of February.

Interview Questions

• I don't think the firm has set interview questions. It operates like a conversation and they ask questions as they go along. They started off with asking me to talk through my CV.

As I was doing this they would stop and ask questions about my experience, why I was interested in corporate law.

There is also an article exercise which was the most challenging part of the interview and it is where I really messed up! I expected something from the Financial Times about the current QE programme/something very finance orientated. I was given an article from the Sunday Times and I realised for this exercise you don't necessarily need to have an in-depth knowledge of finance...just have a lot of common sense and be confident in articulating your opinion- be prepared to be challenged on your thinking!   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Slaughter and May (London, England (UK)) in August 2013.

Interview

Straightforward. An article to read in 15 mins. Key thing is to do a concise summary (though note that no paper is give and the article is laminated and can't be written on). Questions to follow based on article. Also some questions on commercial awareness.

Trainee Solicitor Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Slaughter and May.

Interview

Very professional, competent and friendly process. Interview itself was more of an extended chat. Took a few days to find out the result, though. HR were very good throughout.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiations.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Slaughter and May (London, England (UK)) in April 2019.

Interview

The interview process was overall a pleasant experience.

I was first put in a room by myself with a laptop and a pen and paper; set out on the table were a few documents and a task requiring me to act as a consultant and provide advice to a business. The task was very clear about what was required of me and there was really no need to prepare (other than learning about general business strategies such as mergers & acquisitions). The case in summary was essentially a supermarket that was failing and was looking to expand into either (a) acquire other companies (b) pursue internet shopping (c) diversify into the health and wellbeing market. The task required me to propose which of these options was the most suitable and justify this. I think this task is to test your writing capabilities and check your general commercial awareness more so than anything else.

After this I was given an article to read for 15 minutes and was asked to sit in reception. I had a pen and paper so I could take notes. They also gave me a piece of laminated paper which suggested questions to think about that I might be asked in the interview, for example (a) can you summarise this article? (b) what is the author trying to argue? (c) do you agree with the author?

I was then greeted by a partner in reception who took me into an interview room where I met another partner; one male and one female partner. Both partners were very pleasant throughout the experience and it was more of a conversation than a grilling. I would suggest that you know your CV inside out (I was questioned on multiple aspects of my CV, such as why I chose the subjects I did, why I chose a non-traditional route to university). I was also asked to discuss 3 things I learnt during constitutional law - which was in the first year of my degree so a couple of years ago. Be prepared to defend anything you say as the partners challenged me quite a bit on most things I mentioned.

In the second half of the interview we discussed the article and my opinions. The article was on DNA testing and I argued that there should be more regulation of private companies carrying out DNA testing. Every point I made was challenged by the partners but at no point was this uncomfortable; again it was more of a pleasant conversation than a debate.

I was then greeted by a current trainee who showed me around the building and took me to the on site cafe for a coffee where we sat and chatted for about half an hour or 45 minutes. The partners assure that this part of the interview is not assessed so you are able to ask any questions as you please.

I was then taken back to reception and greeted by an HR adviser. The HR adviser asked me a few questions, mainly covering things that had already been discussed in the partner interview such as why I chose to do a diploma instead of A-Levels, which other companies I have applied to etc. This was the final part of the interview only lasted around 15 minutes or so.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Slaughter and May (London, England (UK)) in May 2018.

Interview

A brief and reasonably challenging written exercise followed by an hour long interview with two partners. They were argumentative and firm but never unpleasant. This was followed by a brief tour of their - surprisingly small - building.

Interview Questions

• My opinion on the social obligations of investment funds.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Slaughter and May (London, England (UK)) in September 2016.

Interview

Half-day interview:
    I applied online and received an invitation to interview within 2 weeks.
    (1) Case study test
    Taken to a room with a computer to review a a business case study and write up my summary and recommendations within 1 hour.

(2) Article review
    Given 20 minutes to read a business news article; was allowed to take notes to gather my thoughts.

(3) Partner interview
    I was asked to summarise the article and then give me thoughts on it, then we launched into a general discussion where they played devils advocate and challenged my position. We later moved to personal background questions to find out my motivations for applying to their firm and relevant experiences I have had. We also discussed subjects I read in university.

(4) Trainee tour: Informal tour around the office with a trainee