SmartBooks Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at SmartBooks

3.5

Interviews for Top Jobs at SmartBooks

Client Services Interview

Interview

No personal contact via phone or in person despite an extensive pre-screen hiring process that takes 8-10 hours. First requirement was to answer questions while you are filming yourself, then a few days later they ask you to complete a personality assessment, then a few days later an eSkill accounting and organizational test, and then a week later to complete a mock accounting assignment and project that gets submitted to their executives. Each step was 1 to 2.5 hours of work All communication is via e-mail from a general SmartBooks e-mail address. NO PERSONAL CONTACT. At the completion of all the steps there was no response or acknowledgement of completion You would think you were being screened for a job at Goldman Sachs, and not a small time business that has primarily remote employees that are paid below average. From website, their hiring profile appears to be 25-40 something woman and have them work remote which helps avoid cost of office and infrastructure. You must formally agree, checkbox, to accept their salary before you embark on the online screening marathon. At one point, actually thought this was part of some mad social experiment that a college was running to demonstrate how even a no-name employer offering no career path can run prospective hires around like lab mice..

Interview Questions

• The skills questions are challenging and you are timed. Two hours of detailed questions on Quickbooks, accounting and so on.   Answer Question

Nov 14, 2014 – Talent Acquisition Specialist

Thank you so much for your feedback on our Application / Interview process. We are definitely unique in how we do things, and we are always trying to make the process better. We want to address... More

Senior Accountant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Concord, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at SmartBooks (Concord, MA) in April 2015.

Interview

The interview process is extensive, but not difficult if you have a solid accounting background. The whole pre-screening process combined took less than 3 hours, and I found it enjoyable and helpful to show my knowledge. If you struggle with the pre-screening process, then you will likely not be successful in your role.

Interview Questions

• They asked me how many emails I kept in my inbox, which I found odd at the time, but I understand now.   Answer Question

Senior Accountant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at SmartBooks.

Interview

Very lengthy process. I was first asked to complete a one way video interview. The next round was an online accounting assessment (60 questions) after that was an online accounting/reporting project. The next round was a phone interview. It was at this point that I learned that they didn't actually have any openings, but wanted to "fill their pipeline" with qualified applicants.

Interview Questions

• interview consisted of a lot of specific accounting questions   Answer Question

Oct 5, 2016 – People, Talent & Culture Manager

Thank you for your time and effort in our recruiting process. Since we are always looking for accountants, we do try to find candidates before we have an immediate need.We are growing rapidly, and we... More

Anonymous Employee in Concord, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at SmartBooks (Concord, MA) in May 2013.

Interview

The interview process was very rigorous. A video submission, several interviews and several tests were included in the interview process. Not only were my accounting skills assessed but also a personality test was used to determine what type of worker I am. It takes a special type of person to work remotely and SmartBooks wants to hire and get it right on the first try. A lot of effort goes into the hiring process to make sure we put the right people in the right seats.

Accountant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at SmartBooks in August 2014.

Interview

The interview process for SmartBooks was incredibly lengthy - more lengthy than I think is needed. In the beginning you have the choice of going in to the office or answering about 10 questions via video recording. Then they take you through 3 separate tests. The first is a personality test that takes no more than 20 minutes. The next is an accounting multiple choice exam (70 questions) that could probably take anyone from an hour to 2-1/2 hours to complete, depending on knowledge. I don't believe the multiple choice exam portion needs to be nearly as intense, especially for the Accountant position. I feel the more involved questions should be left out and used for the Senior and manager positions and the entry level questions should be taken out for the senior level employees. A 70 question final exam for a senior accountant level seems unnecessary to me. The next was a skills exam testing your ability to follow direction, Excel skills, and ability to upload and download documents to their system/server. This portion is fairly easy and shouldn't take you more than an hour to complete. After that was a Skype interview with the person who would most likely be your boss and the HR woman. This interview lasted OVER 2 HOURS! All in all, I probably spent close to 8-10 hours on the interview process over approximately 3 weeks.

They told me they were very interested in me, that they do rolling emissions (like a college), and that my resume was at the top of their list. I didn't hear back from them for 3 months when they told me they wanted me to come in for an in-person interview (like there was anything else to learn from me at this point). I really wanted to work for SmartBooks, so I told them I was still interested and would love to come in. The holidays made things difficult (more so for them). A month later I heard back from them. Of course I was thinking they were ready to schedule something, but instead they told me they were deleting my file! So, basically, I wasted hours of vacation time to interview, they kept my hopes up for 5 months, only to delete my file.

Looking back, I would recommend pushing for a face-to-face interview. They say it won't hurt your chances, but I feel if you make good in-person impressions, push to meet them at their office. For SmartBooks, I recommend streamlining the interview process. The personality test as well as hours of questioning is unnecessary. The actual hands-on skills assessment is a great interview tool - I would keep that. Also, I realize you think your company is the anomaly, but it's 2015. Most accountants get to work from home from time-to-time and anyone with work experience has dealt with clients over email and the phone.

Interview Questions

• They asked every interview question you can think of, both generic and accounting based.   Answer Question

May 28, 2015 – Talent Acquisition Specialist

I appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with us. We are always looking for ways to improve, and we value your feedback.

We agree - our interview process is lengthy. We are... More

Accountant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at SmartBooks in August 2018.

Interview

After applying online I received an email from a member of HR to set up a phone screening. During the screening questions about my work experience and skills were asked and I was informed that if I wanted to proceed I would have to take a skills test and interview with three separate people before the decision was made. I received the link to the skills test and was told I needed a combined score of 80 to proceed. The test was 50 questions and I had 60 minutes to complete. The test had questions on Logical Reasoning, Financial Accounting and Bookkeeping. After taking the test I was set up to have my first phone interview a few days later and was told it would take 30 minutes.

The day of the phone interview, the interviewer was uninterested in what I had to say and didn't give me the opportunity to explain my answers. They basically read a number of questions off a sheet of paper. Between their questions and my attempt to ask 3-4 questions at the end of the interview the entire interview lasted 10 minutes.

I never received another call or email in regards to the other two interviews I was told would happen.

Interview Questions

• One a scale of 1 to 10 rate your skills in preparing financial statements.   Answer Question
    • What are the three kinds of financial statements and what is their purpose?   Answer Question
    • On a scale of 1 to 10 rate your skills with Excel.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at SmartBooks (Boston, MA) in June 2016.

Interview

Long interview process. Never actually met anyone in person. Judged me solely on a FaceTime interview with two people who I thought were awful at interviewing and not personable at all. If I actually met with someone face to face would have gotten to know me. Missed out on a great employee.

Interview Questions

SmartBooks Response

Nov 3, 2016 – People, Talent & Culture Manager

Thanks for your time and effort in our process. I am sorry that you did not have a good experience in our interview process. Since this position deals with clients in a remote environment, we need to... More

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Plymouth, MA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at SmartBooks (Plymouth, MA) in September 2016.

Interview

Very long process. Two online tests and a FaceTime interview. I thought the whole process was very impersonal. The questions they asked in the FaceTime interview were very cookie cutter and in no way representative of myself as a candidate.

Anonymous Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at SmartBooks.

Interview

SmartBooks has the most detailed interview process that I have ever been through. There are skills evaluations, work style evaluations, and one-way interviews (I taped myself answering questions), and an in-person interview. By the time I was offered the position, I felt very confident that I knew SmartBooks, and that SmartBooks knew what I have to offer.

Interview Questions

• There were a number of questions involving how I handle difficult situations. They really wanted to understand my style of communication.   Answer Question

Negotiation

SmartBooks is very transparent about what their salaries are. They list the range when you apply for the job through their website.

Oct 7, 2014 – Talent Acquisition Specialist

Thank you so much for reviewing SmartBooks, and letting us know about your interview process. SmartBooks has a very unique interview process, and it does take time and effort. We are dedicated to... More

Accounting II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Many, LA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at SmartBooks (Many, LA) in September 2018.

Interview

very informative interview and am looking forward to a response back from them. The process was short and to the point as it looks like a good company to work for and the fact it is online work makes it more interesting for me after just doing taxes for the past 4 years

Interview Questions

• Would I work full time or part time, Does the job sound like what you are looking for. Is the salary the right amount for you. Willing to work remotely   1 Answer