St George's University Interview Questions | Glassdoor

St George's University Interview Questions

2.3

Interviews for Top Jobs at St George's University

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at St George's University.

Interview

The interview process can feel like amateur hour, just play along. Expect hours and hours, day after day, of 'interviews' from people who have no idea or training in hiring people. Which is easy, but bad. The rationale for who they end up hiring is not transparent and can seem unfair. But there is a rationale. Sometimes it is driven by the very practical concern of finding a candidate who communicates willingness to actually relocate and commit to staying to Grenada (regardless of qualification). Recent hiring also seems geared strongly to avoided upsetting the existing power structure - the 'tall poppy' seems to be the first to get clipped around here.

Interview Questions

• Everything they asked was open ended and simple. They'll go over your CV with you and ask basic Q's about what you did. Hint: research the university/department and relate what you did to what they do.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Welcome to the first and last time you will hold significant power with superiors. Take advantage of it.

The most important thing to negotiate for is an extended contract. DO NOT ACCEPT 1-YEAR CONTRACTS. At least a 2-yr contract is advisable. Even still, they usually don't renew you until there are a couple months remaining on your contract. This contract-to-contract aspect makes you extremely vulnerable to the whims of university politics (read: superiors yield way, way too much power with little or no oversight). An interesting tactic would be to negotiate renewing 2 year contracts on an annual basis (with 1 year remaining on each contract). That will make it much more difficult for a 'higher up' to threaten you with sudden termination.

Also, the ultimate is to negotiate a position for your spouse. If you don't get the spouse hired, with a signed contract, *before* you relocate to Grenada, it will likely never happen. Lack of qualifications are often not a deal breaker for spouse hires.

Finally, keep in mind interviewers will often say anything you want to hear to get you to accept the job. Once you get down here they know you have little power to insist they honor prior agreements, verbal or written. So what you negotiate for might evaporate once you get down here. (Yes, turn over is insanely high, that's why it is easy to get hired).

PhD Student Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at St George's University in January 2013.

Interview

I applied online and was asked for interview. Before the interview I was asked over to have a look at the department and meet everyone working there. This was clearly part of the interview process as well as I was told afterwards, all colleagues had their say about the candidates. A couple of days after this, I had a face-to-face interview with a panel of 3 professors.

Interview Questions

• Can you tell us what is Good Clinical Practice? Talk us through your CV? What are you academic goals? Where would you see difficulties in this project? Do you have new ideas about the project?   Answer Question

Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at St George's University in March 2011.

Interview

You get asked 5-6 questions without much challenging. You are left free to lead the interview where you want to starting with very broad-range question. Other candidates will get the same questions. It's basically a competency-based interview.