TSMC Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jul 8, 2017

2.6

Process Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at TSMC (Los Angeles, CA) in October 2016.

Interview

Two on campus interviews, one from HR and the other one from a fab director, each about an hour. The interviews were fairly easy and mostly on behavior questions. HR assured quick turnaround and said that further phone interview from department is required.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at TSMC in October 2014.

Interview

I was a PhD student when I found TSMC's North America recruitment on Linkedin. So I sent my resume but didn't specify any particular position for which I want to apply. Few days later I received email of interview invitation.

Several managers (5-6) joined the interview on Skype. The first question, also the most frequently asked question in all the following interviews is to introduce my research. Guess they want to know my background. I spent about 15 minutes explaining my semiconductor device research, got interrupted few times for questions about the details of the tools I used, the materials, etc. Then spent another 10 minutes or so to describe my work history. They didn't ask any general questions regarding my life, personailty, or what I wanted to do, etc. In the end of first interview they didn't offer any position or anything particular. Just like ending a chat in the conference.

However few days later, I got a series of phone interviews from the R&D department. Pretty much the same questions as the first interview, but in the end I was confirmed to be considered for a module engineer position. Got an offer in the last interview. Then talked to the HR for more general question like education history. Nothing unexpected nor difficult. The whole process took about an month.

Havn't gone through the negotiation part, but I guess it's not too flexible for a newbie like me.

Interview Questions

• Are you considering other companies? Not sure if I should be honest or not. I chose to be honest.   1 Answer

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at TSMC.

Interview

The interview was for the campus representative position, so it was not hard. The HR basically went though most of the things I wrote on my resume, and most questions I was asked were related to my resume, so if don't make something up, you will be fine. And they asked me some behavioral questions too, very typical ones like how you resolve a confrontation.

Interview Questions

• None. Every questions I was asked were related to my resume.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Interview

You will get phone call to arrange the interview with you, and they will ask some general questions but not technical questions. The process went pretty happy and relax.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at TSMC in May 2013.

Interview

I interviewed with a senior engineer and manager. They asked me about my academic research and skills. They revealed they are developing in-house tools which might fit my background and strength. After the first interview, I got another phone interview with HR. Later on, I got the offer through email.

Interview Questions

• I wanted to understand the projects they are running. However, maybe due to NDA, they did not let me know what they wanted me to do. I eventually understand the assignment after on board.   Answer Question

Design Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at TSMC in January 2013.

Interview

4 phases.
    1. Phone interview: casual interview over the details in the resume and other details like achievements
    2. HR interview: Commitment to come to taiwan and work for years together
    3. Technical interview: Job profile related questions
    4. Final interview: Direct interview with the person directly overhead

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at TSMC in April 2010.

Interview

They will match the job vacancy by your online resume, but normally HR does't understand what you research or there is no match inside the company. In this case, they basically match you by the title of your department. (E.g. Chemistry should get someone related to chemical vapor deposition). It's just an intern, so they usually wouldn't take you seriously. They just want to find someone potential for the future.

Interview Questions

• Because manager normally won't have time to review your resume, you need to make your own introduction. They will pick one part of your description to ask. So be prepared about everything you mentioned in your introduction.   Answer Question

Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at TSMC.

Interview

Shortlisting based on CGPA and then interview. Since they like to hire freshers from IITs only, their main motive is to select you , so they would ask if you are comfortable moving overseas.

Interview Questions

• Explain DIBL and GIDL leakage in mosfet   1 Answer
    • Layout Styles used for better matching in Analog Design   Answer Question

Process Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Hsinchu (Taiwan)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at TSMC (Hsinchu (Taiwan)).

Interview

The interview put focus on English oral capability test by request make 20 minutes presentations in English. Self-introduction and career plans .
    The interview also focus on Testing semiconductor process technology capability .

Process Integration Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Hsinchu (Taiwan)

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at TSMC (Hsinchu (Taiwan)) in February 2017.

Interview

Firstly, they will ask you to wait for other interviewees.
    Secondly, I enter a small room where are two interviewers in. (manager and HR)
    Thirdly, there is another senior HR to ask more personalities.

Interview Questions

• Describe how a MOSFET works.
      If you apply a large voltage on drain, what will happen?
      Where are the most vulnerable areas in this device while applying a big bias?
      What can you do to avoid breakdown?   Answer Question