Taunton Press Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Taunton Press Interview Questions

2.6

Intern Interview

Interview

Easy and nice, HR is quite helpful, coordination is bad through because they have multiple locations, managers are usually very busy so have to change schedule multiple times. Questions asked is very related to the area that they are hiring for so they pretty know what they are looking.

Product Manager Interview

Interview

Had to fill out a questionnaire and provide so much detail that it felt like I was giving them free advice.
    I declined to continue the process as the company is having huge financial issues and the management, at least the ones I spoke with, seem to not be telling the truth. You know, when co-workers say one thing and management says another.

Interview Questions

• None - quite average and expected, not a state of the art shop.   Answer Question

Web Producer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Taunton Press.

Interview

Go through many rounds of interviews, but everyone is very nice. Took a month to get through whole process, but they were very flexible about scheduling and start date.

Interview Questions

• Questioned about the state of the current website and how it could be improved.   Answer Question

Copy/Production Editor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Newtown, CT

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Taunton Press (Newtown, CT).

Interview

I had two interviews. The first was with the person who would go on to hire me and with another senior staff member. It also included a copyediting test. The second included an HR rep and another member of the staff. Both interviews were professional but casual and friendly.

Interview Questions

• My interviews were substantive, but I don't recall an especially difficult or unexpected question.   Answer Question

Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Newtown, CT

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at Taunton Press (Newtown, CT) in June 2013.

Interview

It involved multiple parties but all were friendly and helpful. That included 2 people that I'd work with directly and 1 person from HR. The questions were pretty much the usual. I was made and offer after the first interview.

Advertising Interview

Anonymous Employee in Newtown, CT

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at Taunton Press (Newtown, CT) in May 2011.

Interview

Difficult to get your foot in the door, once you do, you will interview with many people over the course of 2-3 different visits. Follow up your resume submission with phone calls.

Interview Questions

• "We aren't looking for publishers. Becoming a publisher isn't your goal, is it?"   Answer Question

Web Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Newtown, CT

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Taunton Press (Newtown, CT) in March 2011.

Interview

I originally was given a 30 min phone interview. After 3 weeks of following up I was asked to come in for a full in-house interview. A day later I was called and given a job offer.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I was given very little opportunity to negotiate. I finally was able to raise my asking salary by $1,000

Assistant Editor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Newtown, CT

Application

The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Taunton Press (Newtown, CT) in July 2010.

Interview

It took several weeks to get a response. The initial communication was from an assistant to set up a phone interview. When I asked if there was anything special they wanted me to prepare, the answer was no. Kind of a tip-off that they weren't seriously interested. I prepared by researching the competition and reviewing back issues. Pointless. The phone interview was brief and focused on the low salary (upper thirties to low forties) and availability for travel. There was no sense of enthusiasm for the position or the company as a whole--just a sense of going through the motions. Although I was led to believe otherwise, there was no further contact, not even an email rejection.

Given the cost of living in the area and the low salaries offered, the high turnover isn't surprising. If you're considering a position with Taunton, you'll need either a trust fund or a high-earning spouse to survive in Fairfield County. If you're a single parent, be prepared to struggle and keep those moving boxes handy because your stay is unlikely to be long.

In less than a year, the position was open again along with many others. I'm not sure whether they routinely show employees the door or if the staff is beating a path to the exit.

Interview Questions

• The salary is in the upper thirties to low forties, is this acceptable?   1 Answer

Associate Editor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Taunton Press in May 2010.

Interview

Initial interview, trial run, and HR interview went very quickly and was very professional. Final decision-making process was frustrating - took over 3 months.

Editorial and creative was very interested in having me join their team. It was a pleasure working with everyone. The environment was ideal. It felt like a good fit. Alas, my take-away from the process is that HR was concerned with my coming on board at the top tier for the salary offered.

Interview Questions

• Would you be able to support yourself on a lower income than you're currently making?   1 Answer

Assistant Editor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Taunton Press.

Interview

Phone interview followed by in person interviews with publisher, managing editor and then lunch with some of the editorial staff. .

Interview Questions

• Will I accept the low pay?   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiation.