Texas State Interview Questions | Glassdoor

2.4

Sort:

Lead Web Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Marcos, TX

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Texas State (San Marcos, TX) in February 2011.

Interview

I met the team I would be working with, who asked me several questions related to mostly open source technologies to see my willingness to learn and/or my ability to lead projects using technologies that are not proprietary. Each person took turns asking 2-3 pages worth of questions about my favorite programming language, how I work, and what type of environment I do well in. I also had the opportunity to present my portfolio and demonstrate the results of my work. They said they would contact me within a week. I was interviewed on a Tuesday, and they contact me the Friday of the following week offering the position.

Interview Questions

• What's the most difficult thing to do in your favorite programming language?   1 Answer

Texas State has a plenty going for it. However, the University had a few policies that made it not feasible for me to accept.

The University has a reasonable policy (on paper) about telecommuting, where such an arrangement requires a legitimate reason and approval; however, this can be misleading, as they will never approve an arrangement from my understanding.

The problem is San Marcos is halfway between San Antonio and Austin, and since I live in San Antonio, the commute was not worthwhile. They were willing to work around my schedule, being a college student myself, but the distance between my school and Texas State is nearly an hour-long drive, and it just wasn't worthwhile for the salary offered. Only time on-site counts--even if your job requires travel or going to a work-related event, you are not compensated for it (unless you have hours you can use to supplement it). Even if I was offered a higher salary (I was offered the maximum allowable for the position), it still would've easily burned me out to have to commute like that on top of being a student and having a family.

In the end, another company in San Antonio offered me a position with a higher salary and more flexibility (i.e. telecommuting), and I went with that position instead.

Lab Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Marcos, TX

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Texas State (San Marcos, TX) in May 2015.

Interview

Interview process was fairly simple; I showed my previous work and my credentials. I was asked questions about the work and it was explained what I would be doing in the lab. Since I was already acquainted with the interviewer, it was fairly informal.

Interview Questions

• What are some of the projects you have worked on in the past?   Answer Question

Client Services Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Marcos, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Texas State (San Marcos, TX) in November 2014.

Interview

There was a phone interview and then a hands-on interview. It was a bit nerve-wrecking because you unexpectedly get an anonymous phone call and are asked technical questions on the spot. If you have very minimal computer knowledge and skills, it can feel a bit overwhelming. They want to see your effort in trying to trouble shoot as well as your communication skills.

Interview Questions

• If a computer freezes and nothing is working, how would you fix it?   1 Answer

Web Developer Interview

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Texas State in January 2007.

Interview

The recruiter call me and ask me about my resume, he then asked for a 1:1 interview.

The 1:1 interview took place a few days later, in it I had to explain previews projects and give an example of my past experiences (show a website or a system I had developed).

The call me a few days later for another interview with some general questions about my hour flexibility and requirements (software, hardware etc) then they offer me the job

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a past work experience. Describe it fully.   Answer Question

Internship Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Marcos, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Texas State (San Marcos, TX) in January 2013.

Interview

there were 3 interviews on campus from different departments. They were mainly looking for people with more time on their hands but they did not state this until later. They saw my schedule was overwhelmed with activities so I could not qualify for this position. However, they were good connections to meet with.

Interview Questions

• how do you manage your time while being a student and an assistant?   1 Answer

IT Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Marcos, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Texas State (San Marcos, TX).

Interview

Ultra disorganized. I applied online. Got a call for job X, to show up at 2:00pm on said day. Confirmed it twice on the phone. I showed up 30 minutes early, and the front desk admin said Job X was actually for different job Y, similar but not the same title. Was informed that interview for Job Y was a different day. I said there must be a mistake. Then proceeded to wait about 20 minutes while they figured it out. Eventually they figured out that Job X and Job Y are the same, with different titles. Got called in for the interview. Met with a panel of 4 very nice people. The interview went great. I was told to fill out a background check form, and would hear back in a week or so. 2 weeks later I have called and emailed only to receive open ended responses. 3 weeks later I've pretty much given up all hope. And i REALLY wanted this job. Now I am being cornered into taking a job that pay less and is with a bad employer. I'll keep looking everyday until I get something better.

Interview Questions

• Describe strengths and weaknesses, etc   1 Answer

Adjunct Instructor Interview

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at Texas State.

Interview

There was not an interview process, as I worked as a Teaching Assistant here while pursuing my advanced degree. That process was fairly rigorous, but do not feel it is relevant to this experience. In terms of hiring, I expressed interest in teaching full time after I graduated and was initially told there were no available positions. After finding employment elsewhere (for a similarly low salary), I was eventually offered a full-time position two weeks before the beginning of the fall semester.

Negotiation

There is no negotiation phase. You are offered the job for a fixed salary.

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Marcos, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Texas State (San Marcos, TX) in October 2015.

Interview

Applications for employment are submitted online. In order to get an interview, you must include how you meet all the "required qualifications" in your resume and cover letter. A matrix is used to assess how you stack up against other applicants and the top candidates are called for an interview.

Interview Questions

• Mainly behavioral questions such as "Describe a time when..."   Answer Question

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Marcos, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Texas State (San Marcos, TX) in June 2014.

Interview

Informal with several members of the department. No unexpected questions. Lots of discussion of experience with specific Texas State processes and software. Relaxed atmosphere. Very willing to answer my questions regarding the position.

Administrative Assistant III Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Marcos, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Texas State (San Marcos, TX) in January 2012.

Interview

The interview process consisted of two panel/group interviews on separate days as well as a typing, writing and Microsoft Excel test. The group interviews were held with three people - the office coordinator, the Assistant Director and the Director. It would have only been one group interview, but the Director was out sick on the day of my first interview, so I was called back in for a second interview to meet with her and the rest of the panel.

Interview Questions

• What are three adjectives that describe you?   1 Answer