The Boston Beer Company Interview Questions | Glassdoor

The Boston Beer Company Interview Questions

Updated May 10, 2017

3.3

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at The Boston Beer Company (Boston, MA) in April 2017.

Interview

The interview process lasted approximately 2.5 months and consisted of about 6 interviews. 1st was a virtual, 2nd was phone, 3rd was Skype, 4th was a Ride-Along, 5th Skype, and 6th was flown out to Boston to meet with Director. I enjoyed the interview process because I learned more and more about the company each step, and I was always kept updated. The individuals that I spoke with and met were very friendly and helpful, which reflects the company's culture. It was a very enjoyable interview process with the BBC.

Operations Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at The Boston Beer Company (Boston, MA).

Interview

I submitted my resume online directly to the company. A HR person reached out for a quick phone interview. They asked me to come in for an in person. I met with 2 people individually. The questions were direct with the job and everything was friendly.

Regional Distribution Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at The Boston Beer Company in November 2016.

Interview

This was a phone interview that went very well until the recruiter insisted I disclose my salary. I was confident and answering her questions well until that came up. I'm comfortable negotiating salary and I found the way I was asked inappropriate for a recruiter.

Interview Questions

• What's your current salary?   1 Answer

Brewery Ambassador Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at The Boston Beer Company (Boston, MA).

Interview

Seemed to go okay. Had a short phone interview then an in-person interview, which the interviewer was quite late for. Some of the interview questions were difficult, and the interview seemed excessively lengthy. The interviewers were not very readable through the interview process. What made the experience entirely negative was that after the interview, I did not hear anything. It's now been months. I would have liked to have learned that I was not offered the position. They told me they would get back to me at the end of the week, but I haven't heard anything three months later.

Interview Questions

The Boston Beer Company Response

Sep 22, 2016 – Recruiting Coordinator

We're sorry to hear about your experience. I can ensure you that is not how our typical interview process comes to an end. We will make sure to give feedback to all interviewees going forward. Best... More

Brewery Representative Interview

Application

The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at The Boston Beer Company.

Interview

It's was different doing a one way Skype interview. You are looking at yourself and they have questions that pop up and it gives you 30 seconds to think about it and only a minute and a half or two minutes to answer.

Regional Distribution Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at The Boston Beer Company (Boston, MA) in June 2016.

Interview

I was first approached by a corporate recruiter on a professional networking platform. She was very brief with the description, and mentioned just enough to get me interested in the position. A few days after I applied through BBC's recruiting channel (personality test is included in the application) I was approached with a phone screen. Very standard questions, however, this is a chance to really show your interest and ask questions about the position.

After the phone screen I was asked to come to the corporate headquarters for a 3 hour (3 interviews, 1 hour each) with key members of the Operations group, including my future reporting manager. The interview questions are definitely structured, but designed to navigate the meeting into a conversation. Who wants to sit in a room for an hour doing a Q&A? I found the most compelling thing about this process is the engagement I felt with the hiring team. Everyone is so passionate about their work and true "go-getters" which resonated so strongly with me.

There was a second round of 3, 1 hour interviews a few weeks later with additional members of the Operations group. At the time I was traveling quite a bit for my previous job, but the recruiting coordinator gave tons of options for dates that worked with my schedule. At my final interview I had the opportunity to meet with the Director of Supply Chain & Operations, who originally planned to interview me via phone, which was a really exciting surprise! The final hour was a second interview with my reporting manager. It was extremely casual, as we hung out in Sammy's Place, BBC's lounge complete with Boston Lager on tap, TVs, and high top bar tables. This was likely a test, although I didn't realize it at the time because of casual it felt.

I was offered the position a week later. BBC has a fantastic recruiting team, they are some of the most dedicated HR individuals I've ever worked with who seem to TRULY (get it?) care about your experience. I worked with the corporate recruiting lead; she was knowledgeable, attentive, and understanding through the whole process, and was always there to answer my many many questions. Like several others have mentioned, this is not a short and sweet application process. BBC is dedicated to finding the perfect fit, for the company and for the candidate. If you're not 100% interested in the position you're applying for, it is likely they will see through that.

Interview Questions

The Boston Beer Company Response

Aug 29, 2016 – Recruiting Coordinator

Thank you for the thorough review. We're very excited to have you join the Boston Beer team!

Corporate Recruiting Lead Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at The Boston Beer Company (Boston, MA).

Interview

I had a very through interview process for my role. I applied directly and was contacted my the Manager responsible for the role soon after. My phone interview with her included an in depth conversation about Boston Beer. She also didn't seem like she was just "checking the boxes" when she asked me questions.

After that I had an onsite interview a few weeks after. It took a bit of time to align my calendar with the interview team so I didn't mind the delay. I had a full day onsite interview that I opted for over coming in for a few hours over a 2 day time period. I was warmly greeted when I arrived and when I left. During the interview I met with quite a few stakeholders and even had a working lunch with the direct manager for this role.

I did end up coming back onsite a few weeks later which I really appreciated. The second interview was just a few hours and was with 3 core stakeholders that I would have heavy involvement with. The second interview really made my decision to accept the offer that was presented 2 weeks later. The interviewers took the time to hear about me as a person not just my previous work experience.

The length of the process kept me on pins and needles however I had frequent communication with my point of contact. The fact that The Boston Beer Company really takes the time to find the right person means a lot, especially with such a big life/career change.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about the industries and level of positions you have recruited for in the past.   Answer Question

Brewery Representative Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at The Boston Beer Company in April 2016.

Interview

The recruiter reached out after seeing my resume on the university's career site. The first step was submitting an one-way video interview. The next day, she contacted me about setting up an in-person interview on campus. The interview was a traditional face-to-face interview with a sales manager. It took about three weeks for the recruiter to call about moving along in the interview process. The third interview involved a ride along with a Senior Brewery Representative. At the end of the day, he provided feedback and the rep decided to move me forward. This interview was a bit of a process, because it required travel and staying in a hotel. In addition, I had to answer 11 short-essay questions that were timed about the experience. The second to last interview consisted of a presentation about Boston Beer Co, beer sampling, and traditional interview questions. My recruiter went over the final interview dates prior to the interview, because it required traveling the following week. I spent a lot of time preparing my presentation, and I was excited to receive feedback on how the interview went. However, the recruiter called the day after my interview saying they halted the entire university recruiting process (nationwide), because they were not sure about open sales positions in the market. This was extremely frustrating considering the company had recruits jumping through hoops for non-exisitent positions. I was really disappointed with the company.

Interview Questions

• How would your friends describe you?
      How competitive are you?
      How are your group projects going?
      Tell us about you (hobbies, family, etc.).   Answer Question

Apr 14, 2016 – Recruiting Coordinator

Thank you for your feedback. We’re sorry that you are disappointed. As shared with you, we’ve recently made the determination to postpone our college recruiting efforts while we establish a better... More

Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at The Boston Beer Company.

Interview

Recruiter left a telephone message informing me that he would be 30 min. late for our scheduled call and then called 45+ min. late. He refused to answer basic questions about the position for me at the beginning of the call and I declined to continue. I WAS NOT IMPRESSED!

Director Level Position Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at The Boston Beer Company.

Interview

After the detailed online application and personality test, I was contacted via email by a recruiter or assistant to schedule an initial phone interview with an exec.

The exec never called. I emailed the recruiter with dates to reschedule, and never heard back.
    The position I applied for remains open - two months after I applied.

Weird, and not very classy.

Interview Questions

The Boston Beer Company Response

Apr 13, 2016 – Recruiting Coordinator

We're sorry to hear about your experience. We'd be happy to continue this conversation offline. Please e-mail us at jobs@bostonbeer.com with any questions or concerns. Thank you!