The Broad Institute Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Oct 7, 2017

1. Featured Interview

Staff Scientist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at The Broad Institute (Cambridge, MA) in June 2016.

Interview

The interview process at the BROAD INSTITUTE was very smoothly but also very professional with tough philosophical and psychological questions. You have to meet people with different scientific backgrounds who had very different point of views and responsibilities within the institute. Once they really want you, they do almost anything in order to have you in the house as soon as possible.

Interview Questions

• how do you envision your self in the next five years at the Broad?   Answer Question

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at The Broad Institute (Cambridge, MA) in September 2017.

Interview

I was fortunate enough to be matched with this opportunity via a prominent staffing agency. The first step was a 25-minute phone screen with a recruiter, who asked mostly behavioral questions with some inquiries about my current position. A few weeks later, I had a 40-minute phone screen with the hiring manager, who concentrated more on questions about my experience and transferable skills. They were very pleasant, and the conversation flowed well.

A few weeks later (the delay partially being due to the height of summer vacation season at Broad), I had 8 back-to-back 30-minute interviews with the entire department, and 2 administrative professionals in other departments. Each person had a list of different behavioral questions, but most of the interviews themselves were conversational in nature instead of rapid-fire questions. It was clear that everyone loved working at The Broad, and that each individual is the best of the best in their respective field.

Despite feeling like I performed well and was a good fit, I was not offered the position due to not having enough experience for one particular skill, despite being transparent about my experience with said skill throughout the entire process (which was proficient, but on a smaller scale than it would be at Broad) and said skill only being a small percentage of my day-to-day according to management. In my own opinion, I did not do a good enough job selling myself on how I could have been a true asset in the position and to the department. Nevertheless, it was a disappointing outcome.

Having said that, if you are looking for a great environment with room to grow, you should certainly apply here. Even though I didn't get the position, it certainly seems to live up to all the hype.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you juggled multiple projects at once   Answer Question

Devops Role Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at The Broad Institute (New York, NY) in August 2017.

Interview

I applied online and a week later had an initial call with the HR and got an email three days later that hiring manager is moving forward with other candidates.

Associate Computational Biologist - Data Science Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at The Broad Institute (Boston, MA) in August 2017.

Interview

I applied online and got a link to do an online assessment. The problem was not so difficult and I finished 30 minutes before deadline. However, I didn't pass the OA probably because I missed some special case. Still don't know the reason for now.

Interview Questions

• Online Assessment with 3 coding problems. Data frames, Tree and two pointers.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at The Broad Institute (Cambridge, MA) in July 2017.

Interview

The time from the first email I got to the onsite interview was over a month.

I was sent a coding problem about poker hands. Only had 4 days to do this with all tests and documentation. I didn't do too well because I was too busy with my job and rushed to get everything done. I wish they had looked at my code before inviting me for an onsite interview because from the feedback I got, I think this is mainly why I didn't get the position.

The whole interview took three and a half hours.
    There was 3 groups of 3 people.
    First group is a talk about my projects,etc.
    Second group is just having lunch and asking questions.
    Third group talks about the code I submitted (which they didn't seem to have looked at). From the three code interviewers, only one seemed technical. He understood what I said almost right away and was engaged with me. To be honest, it didn't seem like the other two were technical. When I say technical, I mean understanding data structures, time complexity, etc. For example, one of the questions is to write a function to get the best 5 card poker hand, given n cards. I tried to explain that to get a straight, I used an array instead of sorting the hands (so that you can avoid sorting nlogn), but they didn't really seem to get why.

The interview process took a bit too long (I had forgotten about applying) and the coding problem was confusing because there is no way someone can finish all parts in 4 days with documentation and all tests.
    Overall, it was an OK experience and I took it as practice. The people who worked there were all nice and the person who recruited me treated me with respect and gave me feedback (which a lot of companies don't). Hope this helps.

Interview Questions

• Find the best 5 card poker hand, given n cards   1 Answer
    • Draw on the whiteboard the project you did from two years ago.   Answer Question

Research Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at The Broad Institute in June 2017.

Interview

The interview was a fairly standard personality test and prior experience background check. To be honest, one of the most pleasant phone interview's I've ever had. The recruiter seemed to have my best interests in mind and was actively seeking to help distribute my resume to parties she thought would be best fit for me. Broad is a challenging company to get through that first initial screen, but once you're through don't fret too much over the first phone interview. Their people are friendly and as long as you're sufficiently prepared you should have a welcoming experience.

Interview Questions

• Can you name a project you've worked on in the past that you felt most passionate about? Why?   Answer Question

Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at The Broad Institute (Cambridge, MA) in April 2017.

Interview

It was a difficult interview, expect questions about past research and where you would like to be in the future. The interview took around 30 minutes, but one should prepare a lot for the interview.

Associate Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at The Broad Institute (Boston, MA) in April 2017.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter after applying to numerous positions online. I was then asked to fill out an online coding test. I then had a phone interview with the hiring manager. Then an onsite interview with the team. Finally there was reference check.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about relevant previous experience, fairly standard fare for technical position.   Answer Question

Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at The Broad Institute (New York, NY).

Interview

One phone interview followed by on site interview. Very professional interviewers and staff. Questions were directed at assessing competence for the position and willingness to be flexible. Many questions focused on relevance of previous experience and positions and how those transferable skills were applicable to the position in question.

Interview Questions

• Of your previous positions, which experience are you most proud of and why? How did you achieve success in that instance?   Answer Question

Post Doctoral Research Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at The Broad Institute in January 2017.

Interview

It was a fairly and easy interview with recruiter. Very basic introduction questions. No technical questions at all. She mostly talked about the culture of the Broad, salary etc.

Research Associate Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at The Broad Institute.

Interview

Overall I had a very positive experience. I submitted my resume through a recruiter. I was invited for an in-person interview after the initial phone interview. I met with the Lab manager and the team, everyone was informative, professional and friendly. The interview was about an hour and half long. I did not get an offer, but I had a good experience.

Interview Questions

• What are your long-term goals? questions regarding previous research experience   Answer Question