The Broad Institute Interview Questions | Glassdoor

The Broad Institute Interview Questions

Updated Feb 27, 2017

Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at The Broad Institute (New York, NY).

Interview

One phone interview followed by on site interview. Very professional interviewers and staff. Questions were directed at assessing competence for the position and willingness to be flexible. Many questions focused on relevance of previous experience and positions and how those transferable skills were applicable to the position in question.

Interview Questions

• Of your previous positions, which experience are you most proud of and why? How did you achieve success in that instance?   Answer Question

Post Doctoral Research Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at The Broad Institute in January 2017.

Interview

It was a fairly and easy interview with recruiter. Very basic introduction questions. No technical questions at all. She mostly talked about the culture of the Broad, salary etc.

Research Associate Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at The Broad Institute.

Interview

Overall I had a very positive experience. I submitted my resume through a recruiter. I was invited for an in-person interview after the initial phone interview. I met with the Lab manager and the team, everyone was informative, professional and friendly. The interview was about an hour and half long. I did not get an offer, but I had a good experience.

Interview Questions

• What are your long-term goals? questions regarding previous research experience   Answer Question

Research Associate I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at The Broad Institute (Boston, MA) in November 2016.

Interview

I applied online, and received an email from an HR representative about two weeks after. I scheduled a phone interview which lasted approximately 30 minutes. The HR representative was very kind, she described how the institute is divided between Platforms and Programs. She also asked if I was interested in applying to other labs at The Broad, and if so she would forward my resume to her colleagues. She also requested my transcripts. The remainder of the interview process would proceed with in-person interviews if any labs were interested in my resume.

Interview Questions

• Please elaborate on your research experience.   Answer Question
    • Would you like to apply for other research positions at The Broad Institute?   Answer Question

Research Associate I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at The Broad Institute (Boston, MA) in October 2016.

Interview

Friendly recruiter :) The interview was 30 minutes and fairly low pressure. The recruiter began with asking personality type questions (how do you work in a team, experiences learning, etc.) and then ended with a series of basic chemistry and biology questions.

Interview Questions

• What is an experience where you had to work as part of a team?   Answer Question

Clinical Research Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at The Broad Institute (Boston, MA) in September 2016.

Interview

Nice people, very professional atmosphere. If you get called for an interview, make sure you switch your schedule around to go. I lost an opportunity because I couldn't. The interview process is composed of many different interviews and steps, you will meet with a lot of different people. I applied online to many open positions, and finally heard back after about a month and a half. I was contacted and given a time to come in to interview. I was interviewed by two current employees who would be overseeing me, and they were both kind.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a difficult situation at your current place of employment and tell me how you handled it and how it resulted?   1 Answer
    • Do you have plans to go to medical school?   1 Answer
    • What to you know about us?   Answer Question
    • Why did you apply to this position?   Answer Question
    • What is a positive and a negative about your current or previous job?   Answer Question

Postdoctoral Fellow Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at The Broad Institute (New York, NY).

Interview

A scientist contacted with me via email to set up a phone call interview, after my CV was received.They are very interested in my background and publication. At the end, the interviewer introduced me the project they are working on.

Interview Questions

• Describe the project in your CV and what kind of statistical methods you used.   Answer Question

Staff Scientist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at The Broad Institute (Cambridge, MA) in June 2016.

Interview

The interview process at the BROAD INSTITUTE was very smoothly but also very professional with tough philosophical and psychological questions. You have to meet people with different scientific backgrounds who had very different point of views and responsibilities within the institute. Once they really want you, they do almost anything in order to have you in the house as soon as possible.

Interview Questions

• how do you envision your self in the next five years at the Broad?   Answer Question

Associate Computational Biologist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at The Broad Institute.

Interview

Applied online and got an email from HR a few months later to schedule a phone interview. Phone interview seemed very relaxed yet professional and I was told I'd be sent a programming test as the next step of the interview process. Test took about 2 hours and after looking over my results they contacted me again to set up a second phone interview with one of the main scientists working in the lab. A few days after speaking with him I was told they would be moving ahead with other candidates.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about your previous research and programming experience.
      Why are you interested in this position and The Broad Institute?
      Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at The Broad Institute (Cambridge, MA).

Interview

I interviewed for Aravind's group. There was a lot of arrogance on their side. In the middle (after making me do a lot of work) they changed their mind arbitrarily, which I thought was very unethical.

It seems it is one of those places where they do not care about people, but it is all about what they can get out of you.

Interview Questions

• How would you apply your past skills in this job?   1 Answer