The Carter Center Interview Questions | Glassdoor

The Carter Center Interview Questions

Updated May 8, 2017

3.1

Intern Interview

Interview

It was quick and asked good questions. They were able to do phone interviews for everyone so we did not have to go in. It was with the main hiring manager rather than the program manager.

, Americas Program Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at The Carter Center.

Interview

It was fairly straight forward: I had two phone calls with them and I was asked to speak Spanish during one of them. I was asked to speak about important issues in the region to show that I had the regional knowledge necessary to succeed there. None of the questions were particularly difficult if you're actually qualified.

Interview Questions

• What issue in Latin America is, to you, the most pressing for scholars on the region?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at The Carter Center.

Interview

I applied through website, invited for a phone interview, thirty minute phone conversation. The phone conversation was about very substantive questions related to the field, not behavioral. There were some hypothetical questions too, so trusting yourself to answer these adequately is important

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself
      Why are you interested in this program?
      What do you know about this field? Why is it important to you?   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at The Carter Center.

Interview

Phone interview with the staff. They asked me if I'd done research in the area and what I knew about current situations happening there and what I knew about the Carter Center and why I wanted to work there. They asked me one question in Spanish. Nothing out of the ordinary that caught me off guard.

Interview Questions

• What is the biggest challenge facing the Western Hemisphere?   Answer Question

Program Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at The Carter Center.

Interview

Phone interview with three current employees, no representative from human resources. Interviewers repeated the job description, then read through a list of common "tell me about a time when..." interview questions, some of which were not applicable to the position. The experience was very awkward and not conducive to a two-sided conversation.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you had a conflict with a manager and how you resolved it.   Answer Question

Summer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at The Carter Center.

Interview

Phone call with 5 different people. Lasted 25 min. Questions about my background, as well as about the political situation of some countries of the region.
    They also checked my language skills (part of the interview conducted in other language).
    Interviewers were really friendly and helpful.

Interview Questions

• Have you done any research papers about this región?
      Are you aware of the political situation of X country?   Answer Question

Associate Director of Programs Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at The Carter Center (Atlanta, GA) in April 2016.

Interview

I participated in a phone screen followed by a panel interview.

The phone screen was with HR and covered the basic requirements of the position. The panel interview was with several members of the Health Program team as well as the Carter Center communications and fundraising leads. Most of the questions were standard behavioral questions, with some specific to working within an international nonprofit (comfort with travel and conducting work duties in low resource settings). I was also given a tour of the Carter Center.

There was a significant delay between the panel interview and being notified that I did not get the job.

Summer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at The Carter Center in April 2016.

Interview

I had one interview and it was very difficult. There were some questions that were typical behavioral questions but I felt like they expected me to have a lot of expertise that I didn't have and had not said that I had.

Interview Questions

• Very difficult questions--asked about specific expertise on Da'esh in MENA and different strategies that I thought could be used to counter that narrative and different communities in the region.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at The Carter Center.

Interview

I was emailed with the date and time for the phone interview and asked a few questions about my education and relevant professional experiences. Standard question such as where I had gone to college, what did I study, why was I interested in the Carter Center, etc...Then a program associate briefly interviewed me in the language of the program I had applied for in order to gauge my language skills.

Interview Questions

• What specific Carter Center programs are you interested in?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at The Carter Center.

Interview

There was an online application on The Carter Center website and then there was a phone interview with several members of the staff that lasted approximately 20 to 30 minutes.