The Retirement Group Interview Questions | Glassdoor

3.5

Interviews for Top Jobs at The Retirement Group

Portfolio Manager Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Interview

Gave you a form to answer a lot behavior questions and then the interviewer briefed what they did and asked you few questions.

There were some questions related to market and teamwork. And they told they did not sponsor.

Interview Questions

• Why us? What's your career plan in 5 years? What have you learned in school.   Answer Question

Internship Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at The Retirement Group (San Diego, CA) in March 2016.

Interview

This interview was ridiculous. I applied and quickly got a response for an interview. My business teacher warned me to be weary, she was right. I walked in for the interview, and rather than entering the offices to conduct the interview, I was taken into a strange side room. The interview actually went really well, and the man spoke to me at the end as if I had the job. He emailed me right after, saying that he wanted me to do some homework. He also said he wanted me to meet the CEO and come back. The homework consisted of analyzing over 400 pages of bs. I spent hours wasting my time on this assignment. I finally reached out to him just a few days after. I received no response. I emailed him again a few more days later, to find out that the position was already filled. The whole business is completely unprofessional and operates in a small shady back office. There are many better opportunities out there for anyone interested in finance.

Interview Questions

They were unprofessional and it seemed like a scam

Financial Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at The Retirement Group.

Interview

I applied for the Financial Analyst Internship a few years ago. I applied to the position on the internet and after filling out an application and some basic questions I was contacted by the hiring manager. I was told I had to complete two projects to be considered for the position. After completing the projects, I was contacted and set up an interview.

The interview was pretty simple and basic questions were asked. They are looking to see if you are really committed to working hard and if you are enthusiastic about the position. If you are motivated and prove it in the interview, there is really no reason that you wouldn't get hired. Having background experience gives you something to talk about in the interview, but it probably isn't necessary as this is an do-it-all entry level analyst internship position. Overall, it was a pretty smooth hiring experience.

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at The Retirement Group (San Diego, CA) in April 2014.

Interview

interviewed by a bunch of unpaid interns. what a joke. they make u jump through so many hoops, like a circus monkey. worst experience of my life. worked there for a month unpaid then quit

Negotiation

no negotiation. they hire you as a paid intern, and then tell you on ur first day of work that they wont pay you for a month.

Financial Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at The Retirement Group.

Interview

First you need to fill out the application form, and they will send you some research tasks. Then you need to do a presentation to the team once you finish the research task. It was a great experience.

Interview Questions

• Questions are about presentations, no particular hard question.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Ramon, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at The Retirement Group (San Ramon, CA) in August 2013.

Interview

Apply on craiglist, the interview took for more than two month. First let me complete a very time consuming project in about one month, then took one presentation. During this process, no one will answer your call or reply your email. After presentation, they disappeared again for half month. Then let me upload the presentation and ppt to youtube and need get 20 good comments to move on. Very time consuming, doubt whether they really want to hire you. Be careful.

Financial Advisor Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at The Retirement Group in July 2013.

Interview

Practical work assignment allowed me to prove my skills better than any ordinary interview. Problem solving is weighted more than ability to answer basic questions. The advisor that interviewed me, Tyson Mavar, is not in human resources, but an actual financial advisor that works in the field. Very unique interview process.

Interview Questions

• The entire interview was directed on this company's implementation of the 'value' approach to investing. The advisor asked me 'at what percentage of intrinsic value does an asset price need to reach before selling the asset is warranted'. This question is somewhat subjective and doesn't have one true answer, but I think what they are looking for is just strong conviction in all of your answers.   Answer Question

Application

Interview

3 take home projects, a group interview followed by a one-on-one designed to target serious and hard-working interns looking to master the retirement advising niche. As the other posts state, a great place to learn.

Interview Questions

• Easy down to earth questions, don't be an idiot and prove you can work hard   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at The Retirement Group (San Diego, CA) in March 2013.

Interview

The interview process is a bit ridiculous, they want you to do work BEFORE you're hired and 90% of the time you will not get a call back once your project is complete. Do not do their projects until you're actually hired otherwise they'll just use you.

Interview Questions

• No hard questions, wasn't even a real interview, applied online. was overqualified so they brought me onto the team.   1 Answer

Negotiation

no negotiation, this was a scam so I left.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at The Retirement Group (New York, NY) in August 2012.

Interview

Four interviews
    I feel that I would be a significant benefit to the workforce at the retirement group. I am looking to learn, and to learn a lot. I need to get my hands dirty with working in the field.

Any task I would be given would be followed through, mechanically, analytically and logically. I feel i would make a good team member as an intern at your firm.--- What are your goals for this internship? My goals are knowledge, field experience, stronger resume, expanded financial vocabulary, customer relationships, and building a the strongest financial background possible.--- Tell us about a time you had a problem that you couldn't seem to solve? There was a time I could not find a way to pay for college. Luckily and with much hard work and research. I picked up a sport and worked at it everyday to gain a scholarship so that school became feasible. No problem can not be solved, it just takes the right dedication and structuring to achieve the desired outcome.--- Give one of your weaknesses and what you do to overcome that weakness? One weakness I have sometimes is limiting the number of projects I take on. I learned to overcome this by balancing my scheduling and efficiently appropriating time to finish projects in a timely manner.--- Are you interested in relocating, and if so where would you be interested in relocating? No, I am not interested in relocating seeing as I am full time student at Temple University.--- Are you available to come in to the SD, SF, VA, NY or Dallas office for an interview?New York City can be reached for interview. If not that, I am available most days for Skype interviews, and/or phone interview

Interview Questions

• How could you make a difference in assisting retirees with IRA rollovers   1 Answer

They wanted me to work too many hours