Thompson Hospitality Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Thompson Hospitality Interview Questions

Updated Mar 13, 2017

2.4

Food Service Manager Interview

Application

The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Thompson Hospitality.

Interview

I was in another position when a recruiter contacted me via the work location. They asked for the manager and proceeded to probe whether l would be interested in interviewing for a management position at another nearby college. At that time our account was in the rebid process, so l listened to what he had to say. He also asked if I had fellow managers that may be interested in positions. He called twice more and was cocky saying we lost the account I was at. All the while I'm thinking dumb a.. no we didn't, but I didn't tell him otherwise. Finally, he tells me someone will be in touch with me from the corporate office. Well it took over three weeks for one of the head honchos, to contact me. I let that honcho know that three weeks is too long to have an applicant waiting to hear from someone. Well he got his feelings attacked and ended the call. All I could do was laugh. And that itself left a bad impression about those who run the company and the recruiting tatics.

Interview Questions

• I never got asked because the head honcho ended the call.   Answer Question

Executive Chef Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bowie, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Thompson Hospitality (Bowie, MD) in July 2016.

Interview

the whole process took months. two different interviews with the recruiter, two phone interviews with the corporate chefs (they spoke over each other, really hard to follow) Market basket.

Interview Questions

• So what do you know about me?   1 Answer

Executive Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Reston, VA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Thompson Hospitality (Reston, VA) in January 2016.

Interview

I’ve received many calls about this position over the last 2 years. Despite the red flags, I decided to interview this time to make my own determinations about this situation at TH. Anyhoo - I was asked for a writing sample prior to the interview which I threw together that evening when I really had no time. I was given no guidelines as for their norm, as every company crafts these differently so I wrote one lengthy enough to adequately convey my abilities. After all, this was a task to demonstrate that I'm not a bumbling idiot (in so many words) which I found degrading at my experience level. During the 1st interview, which didn’t go as scheduled (other posters are right that the CEO is only available if you pass the recruiter’s first check), I was told my informal writing sample was going to be forwarded to their “chief grammar expert,” which I found crass. Furthermore, that’s a pretty strange focus - asking a senior-level EA for a writing sample for a “”new employee announcement” which is normally crafted by HR. I’ve personally never been asked for a writing sample in my entire career, as my resume more than reflects my qualifications. On top of that, the recruiter decided to sit in my interview with the CEO. No recruiter with experience would find that beneficial from the candidate’s perspective. I got the same horror stores the other posters received about former assistants (I also got conflicting stories about how the reception desk is tied in to this job and no EA to a CEO should be in that mix). In addition, no sophisticated EA who is expected to “serve in an executive capacity” (which the CEO mentioned he wanted in this role) should be required to run the CEO’s car around to car washes and inspections, to get meals (at a restaurant he owns so you’d expect them to deliver), and the like. They want a lower level EA coupled with a sophisticated EA to sit in on board meetings and contribute on an advanced level and be available after hours. These positions traditionally pay six figures. That said, the salary is not commensurate though he seems to think it is. He told me he was looking for someone to take the job for the job itself "not the money." O-KAY. This job would not have been an increase for me. They claim to consider the person in this role an "executive" yet they've historically hired people with no experience to meet this expectation. I was asked to return for a 2nd interview (I shouldn’t have bothered) that again lasted 3 hours instead of the 1-hr. allotted time mostly because there was no regard for my time and I had to wait 45 minutes for the HR person to see me at which time I was told I am too old for the CEO’s taste (in so many words) - that he tends to hire inexperienced people because he thinks experience means you know nothing about college dining experiences though she was trying to convince him to hire someone older with more experience – that he is focused on the wrong qualities in an EA. Ironically, this conversation was after my meeting with him when he told me he was irritated that his former EA’s didn’t contribute in meetings. Employers don’t want candidates going to interviews bashing their former employers but the ENTIRE INTERVIEW was bashing of former assistants. He had nothing much to ask about me or my experiences and he dodged my questions. I was in complete awe when he told me that his last EA caused one of his homes to be sold without his knowledge. THIS IS IMPOSSIBLE. In addition, the recruiter had told me the CEO was concerned about “how I felt about my last boss” when he asked why I left the role, which was interesting because my response was very neutral and had nothing to do with my boss! This means that his filter is off, or that he does not listen. He came off as very distrusting, cold and not really wanting to deal with filling the position. There’s something to be said in this job climate when folks constantly leave a position and the turnover is so universally known, they won’t advertise for a role; much less, when the blame is pointed to everyone else. During the interview, it was suggested that a thank you note was expected. After replaying all of this in my mind, I just couldn’t bring myself to send one– but I got no business cards anyway. They want thank you notes when they downright insult people during interviews. When people go out of their way to interview in-person, especially being tied up longer than scheduled, they deserve better. If I am “too old” for his norm, I am not sure why I was even called back in a second time. I didn’t want to have to be that person to experience the same treatment others report, but since I did, I am not hesitant to post my experience. It’s really offensive and I don’t appreciate it after taking 3 days of my time on this. I knew when I left I’d never hear back. Oh, and they are very aware of their poor ratings, yet continually choose to exercise unprofessionalism!

Operations Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Reston, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Thompson Hospitality (Reston, VA) in January 2016.

Interview

I applied online, was called for an interview with VPOps and VP Concept Development. Very competent interviewers and good vibes from these men. Both of these officers were with the company less than one year and were seeking to add to their Operations team for new projects. After a week or two an interview with the CEO was arrange and it went very well. My salary expectations were known to the VPOps before the CEO interview and though we were about 25% apart - and , I assumed that calling for a meeting with the CEO was a good sign and the VP was seeking approval for the extra $$ from the boss pending my interview. During the interview, I asked if there were any other candidates at this stage of the process - I was told "one" and I had been previously told about his background. After the CEO interview, I was called back in two days and the same offer was extended. It was clear that we were likely in a Dutch Auction against eachother and I decided to play hard-ball and stick to my salary requirement (I am well-employed and don't need a lateral transfer to more responsibility). I was called back two weeks later and offered $10K more and I declined - clearly the other candidate declined as well. The position was re-listed the following week and has continued to run for several more weeks. I suspect that the running thread about low salaries is epidemic in the organization - when VPO tells you that he "took a salary cut to come to work here" it should be a tip-off. Senior level management turnover is another leading indicator.

Interview Questions

• Interview questions were largely technical regarding food cost, operational metrics and training/operational style.   Answer Question

Executive Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Reston, VA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Thompson Hospitality (Reston, VA) in December 2015.

Interview

Met with first cut HR guy, then with CEO and then with SVP HR. I heard the same horror stories from each of them about past assistants. Sounded like they were repeatedly hiring young and inexperienced people to support their Chief Executive. Didn't make sense to me.

Interview Questions

• Best and worst boss you ever worked for.   1 Answer

Housekeeping Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Thompson Hospitality (Austin, TX) in September 2015.

Interview

Was interviewed by the director of facilities who had no experience in housekeeping. They seemed desperate to get someone in the position since they had gotten the contract a few weeks earlier. There was virtually no questions only wanted to know what my experience was. Didn't even interview with the site director, he had no input regarding my hiring. Don't ever work for this company.

Interview Questions

• Virtually none, asked me how long I had worked in housekeeping.   1 Answer

Director of Facilities Management Interview

Anonymous Employee in Reston, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Thompson Hospitality (Reston, VA) in September 2015.

Interview

1. Contacted by recruiter after applying for the position online 2. Phone interview with hiring managers after completing the initial phone screen interview with the recruiter. Both regional and corporate managers of the division participated in the second interview 3. Then, the recruiter coordinated an in person interview with CEO and COO.

Interview Questions

• What can you do to further develop this outsourced contract relationship with the client?   Answer Question

Prep Interview

Interview

I had to come to the campus and fill out a paper application. Then I waited to be interviewed. After I was interviewed I was offered a job and I accepted. They then took down more of my information and I had to do a background check and I was given places to go do a drug test.

Food Service Director Interview

Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Thompson Hospitality (Richmond, VA) in October 2014.

Interview

There was 1 phone interview with the recruiter. Then 1 four hour face to face interview by a DM that was interrupted constantly to put out fires at other units. It was held at the operating unit and with the Managers that I was later told should have been terminated as a group, but sadly were not. The unit was filthy.

Interview Questions

• nothing specific, general questions that should have been a red flag that no outline or guidance was to be provided.   1 Answer

Negotiation

short, recruiter gave me wrong information in first go round about money

Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Reston, VA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Thompson Hospitality (Reston, VA) in August 2014.

Interview

Very chaotic, unprofessional and frustrating. Spoke with the recruiter several times before being able to come up with a good time. I spoke with the recruiter at least 3 times before he could come up with a time the President was available. The process was very chaotic because they were disorganized and the president decided he didn't want to interview me probably on sight.