ThoughtSpot Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at ThoughtSpot

3.1

Senior HR Business Partner Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at ThoughtSpot (Sunnyvale, CA) in November 2019.

Interview

Interviewers are nice people and make you feel comfortable. The schedule was set in advance and recruiters are trying to work with you. Overall it is a nice experience. The only other impression that is not so positive is that candidate has to wait more than two weeks to hear an update. I thought I am going to get a silent rejection but all of sudden hiring manager provided positive feedback and asked me to meet with senior executive so I went to second onsite interview. The interview went well and I was even asked to meet more people on the team later on. Waited another two weeks with no response but got an abrupt thank you email in the end. Sent email to ask why but got no response...

User Experience Researcher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at ThoughtSpot (Palo Alto, CA).

Interview

Interviewed via internal connections. One initial call to determine fit and then two onsites. One onsite was with the senior researcher to more indepth with my experiences and drive to why I do research.

Second onsite was a case study review of my previous work followed by multiple 1:1’s. Overall had a wonderful experience. The team was very accommodating, transparent, and there were many laughs during each 1:1. I would interview again if given the chance, location is great and the company’s culture is great.

Pre-Sales Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at ThoughtSpot (Los Angeles, CA) in September 2019.

Interview

Very ad-hoc. The hiring manager reached out to me when my application was short listed and I was asked to fill out my available time slots for an interview. I gave them slots for next 7 days but did not hear back from them for 4-5 days. I reached out to the person in charge and got to know that the person was going on vacation so my application. She then passed the call directly to VP of the department.

I was given no background on the nature/format of the call or if it was a pre-screening.

The call with VP was also very abrupt. The questions asked were okay but it felt like a college oral examination and not like an interview for a professional organization.

After the call, I was told that the hiring manager will be back and she will take my application forward from there.

I did not hear back from them after that. I am not sure if this is a regular practice at their end or my application was received at an inconvenient time for them.

Anyway, I thought a great product will have a good team behind it. In this case, that's not the impression that I received based on my limited interaction with their team.

Interview Questions

• Tell me something about your self. What did you do in your last role.

Technical questions - order of a SELECT query. How will you display contents of a file in Linux. other basic stuff   Answer Question

Sales Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Jersey City, NJ

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at ThoughtSpot (Jersey City, NJ) in March 2019.

Interview

There were 4 formal interviews, but the entire process also included an additional 3-4 meetings that helped to shape out my view of the company. One of the interviews was a panel presentation based on a data challenge, which was challenging. Otherwise, there was a screening, a sales interview, a technical interview, and an opportunity for the product to be demonstrated to me.

Interview Questions

• Not so much a question, but a Data Challenge. A simple database that was provided, and I was instructed to answer a set of questions, and run a proof of concept meeting after 7 days.   1 Answer

Member of the Technical Staff Interview

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. I interviewed at ThoughtSpot (Palo Alto, CA) in November 2018.

Interview

I was invited onsite and had 2 back-to-back interviews, lunch (with a staff member), and then two more back-to-back interviews. Every interview was a one-on-one standard one-hour whiteboard interview. We started with a brief overview of my interests and resume, and got to the question about 15 minutes in, with about 10 minutes at the end of each interview for me to ask them questions. The interviewers valued enthusiasm and critical thinking/communication, as I am sure I didn't get two of the 4 interviewers' problems right. I was surprised by how explicitly they wanted me to write code on the whiteboard (often pointing out minor syntax errors and making me write code to solve edge cases rather than just pointing them out). One interviewer wanted me to write in C despite me professing little recent experience in it and my fear that it would lead to too much writing for a timed interview (the whiteboard was filled entirely with code at the end of each question).

Interview Questions

• They were all algorithms questions, which I found strange because I expected more statistics/machine learning questions.   Answer Question

Systems Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at ThoughtSpot (Indianapolis, IN) in October 2018.

Interview

Participated in two phone interviews. One interview was with direct hiring manager and other was with sales manager. Third interview consisted of a Data Challenge where I had a week to take 4 data sets and answer 8 questions. Questions focused on data joins and data manipulation.

Customer Success Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at ThoughtSpot (Palo Alto, CA) in October 2018.

Interview

TL;DR- Strongly recommend not to interview with the West Coast Customer success team. There is one other review on glassdoor and that person had a similar experience.
    The most unprofessional team that I have ever interviewed with and they have no respect for a candidate's time.

Thoughtspot is a great product based on the demo that I have seen and has a strong word in the market. But if the customer success team treats it customers the way it treats the candidates, I doubt how long will that last
    Went through couple of phone screens with the hiring manager and a potential peer on the team. Was then asked to speak with another person in London. This person did not join the Skype meeting and I was informed 15 minutes later that he got pulled in a client emergency. This happened for FOUR days straight.
    Anyway, the next round was with the hiring manager again, in person at the Palo Alto office. I arrive 10 minutes before the scheduled time and there is no one at the reception with any information whether I am scheduled to meet the manager. Some nice sales guys directed me to the floor above where the Customer Success team sits. I wait in that area. 20 minutes later, I receive a call from the hiring manager that he is coming from a client office and has gotten late. Great. I wait a bit more
    More conversations with Chief Customer Officer after this. This was a cordial and engaging conversation. The hiring manager goes ahead and makes an offer. We negotiate on the salary for about a week and agree verbally on the terms.
    The hiring manager then asks for references before he can share the offer letter. I ask for his schedule and set up time with my references. And, surprise, he does not call them at the scheduled time
    A week later he says that there has been a change in the hiring plan since it is the end of the year and will get back to me in a month or so.
    Couple of months later he gets back to me via the recruiter saying that the role is open again with some change in responsibilities. I have another round of conversations with the hiring manager and Chief Customer Officer. This time they have absolutely no vision of what the new role means or how it fits into the organization. It is a quasi-consulting role with some growth responsibility. A month later the hiring manager says that he does not want to extend the offer.

Six months of dragging along and utter waste of time

Interview Questions

• How would you convince customer to use Thoughtspot over existing products?   Answer Question
    • How will you identify use cases and drive adoption?   Answer Question

Mar 26, 2019

We appreciate your feedback. We regret that you had an unfortunate candidate experience, which is something we can certainly improve upon.

As a dynamic growth company, we did extend our engagement with you to ensure opportunity alignment. While, we did not find a suitable match for you, we sincerely wish you well and thank you for considering ThoughtSpot.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at ThoughtSpot (Palo Alto, CA) in July 2018.

Interview

Make recruitment efficient. I felt the the process is very slow and lethargic.
    1. Had to wait atleast a week or two for both rounds of phone interviews after sending out the availability for the interview.
    2. Same for the feedback after the interview.

I wish, I had a better recruiter from their side for setting up the timings and details.

Customer Success Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at ThoughtSpot in June 2018.

Interview

Very long process. It took more than 5 weeks from 1st call to Last decision. I did 3 phone interviews, 2 Skype, and 2 online tests during this process (Not all in 1 day, every week 1 or 2). I did very well and I still feel I am the right person for the job. I am not sure where it went wrong. I followed up (call, text) multiple times and waited 10 days for the feedback after the last interview and they send me a general email saying I am not suitable for the position.
    I wonder when they realized this? This is a very unpleasant experience. I was at least expecting a call from them, after all, I spend more than 6 hrs overall on this.
    I wonder how they are planning to do customer success if they don't know how to treat interview candidates. I don't care at this point. Good luck to the company.

Interview Questions

• Asked about my experience in customer success and situational based questions.   1 Answer

Jul 11, 2018 – Head of People

Hello-- I'm sorry to hear you had a negative experience. It's difficult to tell from your feedback whether it was the external recruiter or our internal team that impacted your experience. It is our practice to followup phone screens with emails, as we have a small internal team-- but we do always provide detailed interview feedback to help candidates understand why they weren't qualified for the position. If you have additional feedback, please do feel free to respond to our candidate feedback survey we send to all candidates. And best of luck in your search.

UI Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at ThoughtSpot (Palo Alto, CA) in April 2018.

Interview

The process was smooth and lasted for a week.
    First round had a white board interview with a design problem to be solved on the board.
    I was then given a take home assignment that took 3 hours.
    Third round was a coding round and I was asked to write the program on the board. The question was well thought. I was happy interviewing with thoughtspot. I did not make it but I will prepare well and apply again in the future!
    The HR coordinator was very friendly and accommodating.

Interview Questions

ThoughtSpot Response

Apr 10, 2018 – Head of People

Thank you for the feedback, we hope you will apply again in the future!